Radiator replacement?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

elbee
Bongolier

Radiator replacement?

Post by elbee » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi folkes, Hopefully a pretty straightforward question.

Saw liquid patch on drive today, coolant leak from radiator, coolant alarm went off seems to be coming from the top of the rad weeping from the top edge. Coolant loss but not below the min level on header tank so hopefully no air introduced , topped up coolant. Could it be anything other than the rad? Is it worth trying radiator sealant first or do I bite the bullet and get a new rad first as last?
If so is it worth getting a genuine one or are the after market ones ok. I see a big difference in price between the two!
Last edited by elbee on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Radiator replacement?

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:00 am

Common thing, new rad, don't touch sealer.

Not qualified to recommend o/e or pattern one, but do get it done. 8)
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks Bob, I thought as much and absolutely will get it done ASAP , not risking driving it at all really. Anyone out there used an after market one with success. They are less than half the price?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 am

yes ive fit half a dozen or more, they are fine. make sure you get the new spigots for the oil cooler in the bottom of the rad in the box with the new rad.

its an easy diy job to do as long as you have the bleed after mastered.

couple of tips if you are doing it yourself.
the front fans bolt to the back of the radiator, these bolts particularly the bottom ones usually snap, theres 8 of them and a couple for the bottom oil cooler pipe mounts, get some spare nuts and bolts before hand.

split the oil cooler pipes off the cooler and get some suitable sized bolts to block the end of the pipes, saves loosing gearbox all over the place.

remove the rad and the fans in one lump, then split off the fans on the bench,(rusty nuts bolts).the fans are not the same as each other so dont mix em up.
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:45 am

Great advice NB as always , yes I'm doing myself and did a coolant change a few months ago .

NB when you say split the oil cooler pipes do you mean remove them from the rad side or from the oil cooler side before removing the rad?

One thing I did have problems with when bleeding is finding a suitable funnel big enough for the seesaw bleeding, I must have tried three different types to try and fit the air hose connector in with jubilee clamp as per video but they all leaked. Anyone found a make that works well?
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am

there are 2 rubber pipes with clips

i recall using bars from my 1/4 drive socket set shove in them to stop the fluid leaking out

Return to “Techie Stuff”