Campervan Canopy Question

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Dungoisdadsbongo
Bongonaut

Campervan Canopy Question

Post by Dungoisdadsbongo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 am

Good morning,
I'm looking at buying a canopy from Funky Leisure;
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2479243246

And rather than buy their pole and clamp kit for the gutter, I'm wondering if I attach the figure of eight awning pole for sale on Bongoland to my gutter, do you think the canopy bead would slide into that?
They say their bead is 6mm. Is the figure of eight pole the same as attaching a c profile type bracket?

Thank a lot,

Gary
Sven
Bongonaut

Re: Campervan Canopy Question

Post by Sven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am

I have been looking at these as well. Not absolutely sure but I think the figure of 8 type will fit it, as thats what i was going to do also.
But if you go on their own web-site, the orange or red ones are £10 cheaper than on evilbay!!

https://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/vw-campe ... -200-c.asp
Dungoisdadsbongo
Bongonaut

Post by Dungoisdadsbongo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks Sven.
You're right it looks like it will fit, wondered if anyone new the internal dimensions of the figure of eight?
I've just purchased a drive away awning so will get a figure of eight for that and then try it.
If it fits u will update this post.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:08 pm

I,ve been looking at these as well !
I mailed them re fitting it to a bongo and they said to use the allumimun c channel but that's another £40 , I might mail them again re the pole and clamp and the figure of eight .
it might also be worth your while looking at the bus shelter site as they sell similar products if a bit more money .
Please keep us informed as to what your thinking of going for as there's a number of us in the same position :D :wink:
Thanks
Brian
Dungoisdadsbongo
Bongonaut

Post by Dungoisdadsbongo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi Merlot,

The pole and clamp I think will sit in any gutter by the look of it. I believe the canopy comes with the 6mm bead sewn in like most awnings. I'll definitely keep you posted.
Regards,
Gary
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks for that Gary.
Am I right in thinking that they come with both the 6mm bead and the fold to accept the pole and clamp
Looking at both these and the bus shelter version, these seem to give more coverage and are less expensive .
Does anyone out there in bongo land have the bus shelter canopy for comparison ?
Brian
Dungoisdadsbongo
Bongonaut

Post by Dungoisdadsbongo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Merlot man wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 pm Thanks for that Gary.
Am I right in thinking that they come with both the 6mm bead and the fold to accept the pole and clamp
They definitely look that way.
Mind you I'm having second thoughts about a canopy now, I've just put up a drive away awning that I purchased last week and it was pretty quick going up. I was thinking a canopy for times when I can't be bothered to do the awning by now think I might be wasting my money!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 am

If you have an AFT then the pole and clamps are much better than the figure of 8. Once the roof is up the pole weaves between the hook shaped bits. This holds it secure on its own - I just add the clamps if it is windy.

It is quicker to put up than the figure of 8, feels more secure, is a bit higher and doesn't drip through the gaps in the figure of 8 (You can buy one length of figure of 8 to stop that)

We made our own canopy for £10 by buying two orange light weight wind breaks when they were in the clearance section in ALDI. We just had to sew them together down the middle. They came with a pocket sewed in the end for the pole, and eyelets at the correct places. They came with some poles but not the right length - we use the poles from the drive away awning we have to complete it. Took about an hour to make.

We use it if we can't be bothered to put the awning up - for quick stops etc.

We also bought a Quechua Seconds which we can throw up in a couple of minutes, the canopy can then join this to the Bongo - if we want to drive off we just unclip the pole and peg it down to the ground.

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 am

Very neat arrangement, and great price, too. =D>

Thanks for posting pic. 8)
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm

These are cheaper and work the same way: https://www.khyam.co.uk/driveaway-awnin ... ction-p160
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Jillygumbo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm These are cheaper and work the same way: https://www.khyam.co.uk/driveaway-awnin ... ction-p160
That looks good, thanks for the link. On YouTube with a Vdub attached to it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om5NT9fmajM.

I have just pre-ordered one!
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Flanners wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm
Jillygumbo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm These are cheaper and work the same way: https://www.khyam.co.uk/driveaway-awnin ... ction-p160
That looks good, thanks for the link. On YouTube with a Vdub attached to it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om5NT9fmajM.

I have just pre-ordered one!
I bought the walls as well, although I don't use them as much. I found the front wall extremely helpful in the hot part of the summer last year! (if you can remember it).
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Sven
Bongonaut

Post by Sven » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

That kyham one looks good. I like the idea that the sides & front can be added later if required.
I’ve had a khyam igloo tent for over 20 years & I still use it regularly. Great bit of kit. =D>
Think I’ll be getting one of these when they’re in stock.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am

The Khyam Sun canopy arrived a week or so ago so yesterday as it was like Summer and sunny we drove the short distance to Ashsdown Forest to put it up. Quite impressed with the quality of it slides on easily into a 6mm figure of 8 attachement. Not sure how to attach the lines to the poles/awning effectively guess the line goes around the top of the spiked pole rather than through either eyelet. I managed to find a 10% off voucher when ordering so saved a few quid, all in all a good addition for when Summer arrives. A handy mod on this version appears to be a raised middle support to prevent water pooling on the top in rain. Unfortunately Sven they are out of stock, I think the pre-order's took the complete stock.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Sven
Bongonaut

Post by Sven » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Yes i think you’re right. I’ve been waiting for them to be in stock to order one.
Got an email a few weeks ago to say they were in stock but by the time i went online (a few hours later) they were sold out.
I think pre-order is the only way.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”