2000 (w) Bongo v6 cutting out when warm - Crank shaft position sensor?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

pikey
Junior Bongonaut

2000 (w) Bongo v6 cutting out when warm - Crank shaft position sensor?

Post by pikey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:45 pm

I have a 2000 (w) Bongo v6 petrol.

Yesterday it drove from Peterborough to Bury st Edmunds and then engine cut out. It started, drove a couple of hundred yards and then cut out again.

Called the AA out. An hour or so later they arrived and it started first time without them doing anything.

Drove another 30 miles, all fine. Stopped for takeaway. It wouldn't start. Waited a while then it started.

I've been advised that it sounds like the crank shaft sensor is on its way out and is ok when cold, but not when it gets warm.

This van had a complete engine rebuild by Simon at Contract Mechanics in April last year and new HT leads and distributor cap this year. There are no warning lights on on the dashboard. Battery is fine as after a while cooling down it starts fine.

Has anyone experienced anything similar on a Bongo and was it the crankshaft sensor?

Does anyone know where I can be a crankshaft sensor to buy? There are none in the Bongo Fury shop.

Thanks in anticipation for any help anyone can offer.
rita
Supreme Being

Re: 2000 (w) Bongo v6 cutting out when warm - Crank shaft position sensor?

Post by rita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Try your local Ford/Mazda dealer or Motor Factors quoting part number JE4818221 this sensor fits lots of Mazda / Ford vehicles.

Also a lot of them available from the States if you have the time to down that route,excuse the pun.66
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:00 pm

on the diesels they get oil behind the sensor, if you take the bolt out and remove the sensor wipe out the oil and clean the sensor it usually sorts it out, maybe its the same on these. watch for the little O ring around the sensor when removing.
MalcW
Bongonaut

Post by MalcW » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Or, as I posted n another thread recently, we had those exact symptoms on a petrol Espace of the same era, and it turned out to be the coil pack, which was also failing when hot.

Return to “Techie Stuff”