Blinds: internal or external? Or maybe even curtains?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Blinds: internal or external? Or maybe even curtains?

Post by wwaveydave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking at "blacking out" my Bongo. I've seen the "internal stick to the windows thermal screen types jobbies". I've seen "external screen and door windows covers (some even with eyes on!)" and also an option to put a curtain in to separate the cab from the bus.

All seem to have their pro's and cons and I'm not sure which way to go. any opinions on what's best and why?

Also, when it comes to the rear window, I'm assuming it's curtains for everyone, so to speak?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Blinds: internal or external? Or maybe even curtains?

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:00 pm

It will depend if you are looking for just black out, or some thermal insulation as well.

I'm guessing the back window could be covered by blinds or a stick on thermal cover to suit.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:35 pm

For me it's silver screens (internal) every time. On all windows, front, side and tailgate. The only real problem is condensation, but if you leave the driver and passenger door windows open a crack it's not a problem. They act as insulators, privacy screens and heat shields.

External screens are Ok for the front but not available for the rest of the vehicle. Plus, they get wet and need packing away.

Curtains. Good for privacy but little else.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 pm

I'd like to put a blind on the rear window anyway. Could do both easily enough.
Do the silver screens help with heat, or just cold?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 pm

I would think the silver kind would reflect sunlight well and keep heat down inside.

Once snuggled down for the night they would help keep heat in. :)
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 am

I bought some blackout material and made a crossover between blinds and curtains. Stitched around the hem some small magnets to stick to the metal of the front & rear doors and some turnbutton fasteners elsewhere. No insulation but at this time of year it's not (much) needed. All the blackouts, including the windscreen, roll down into a very small volume.
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 am

Can you add Blackout material over the top of the current blind material? Or does that make them too thick?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:04 am

wwaveydave wrote:Can you add Blackout material over the top of the current blind material? Or does that make them too thick?
Too thick. But people have taken the rollers out and replaced standard material with blackout material thats not thick. But considering you might still need/want an insulating layer then the quilted stick on blinds give that + blackout, so it could be seen as a lot of work for limited benefit to replace roller material. And its nice at times on hot/sunny days to have shading without blackout from the standard blind material.
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:20 pm

I made my own interior silver ones to save some money - got some of that silver insulating material from B&Q, doubled it up and stuck the edges together with gaffer tape, then got some suckers from Amazon and tied them on and they seem to do the trick! Blocks the light and helps insulate. And all for about £15! Fair do's they don't look the most professional but I can always save up and buy the proper ones if needs be but it seems to work for the moment! In saying that I've not been out in Buddy the Bongo a lot so I suppose once I've been away for a fortnight in the van I'll soon know if they're going to last! [-o<
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:21 am

I got some of the insulated type that are supposed to stick to the glass with suction cups. They don't; the suction cups are c**p. At the front its not too much of a problem as the side ones can be jammed in the door frames and the screen one held in place with the sunvisors, but the back one just falls off. As I'm a heavy sleeper it's not too much of a problem if I can park facing a hedge on site for a bit of privacy. I was looking to modify the rear blind to attach to the window frame with velcro but I like the magnet idea. If I was going to invest in window coverings again I would track down the original Mazda curtains - they are out there!
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
annemarigold
Bongonaut

Post by annemarigold » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:51 pm

I have this same query. I think I can live with the existing blinds on the main space windows even though there was some condensation and could have done with insulation last week in the chilly Lakes. The cab windows I thought had curtains but no longer and not my taste anyay. The back window has curtains with little button thingies in railings which drive me mad having to open and close so precisely in position. Next time I'm sure to rip them out. In an old caran I had whilst living in Spain I replaced similar with small café type curtain rails which worked well. However I don't feel the need for curtains but need the privacy and some insulation. Again, as in my other posts, I don't have much to spend so a kit or good DIY instructions would be handy. I was interested to read about those exterior window covers getting wet. So obvious but I hadn't thought of it. I guess it comes down to what is the best material and what are the best fittings. Thanks Anne
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 pm

The external covers getting wet isn't that much of a problem, after all awnings get wet and they are a lot bigger but people still use them. The covers do fold up fairly small so all you need is a bag to put them in until you get home. I have an external cover that does the windscreen and both front side windows and that folds up into a bag less than 12" square

If you are looking for a cheap method of blacking out the light from the side windows then the silver foil insulation already mentioned is good.
https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-general ... ion/p16779
If you cut it slightly oversize it pushes in against the glass and holds there by itself, you can still use the bongo blinds as well. If you try to use this insulation for the front or rear windows you might need some suckers across the centre to hold it to the glass. On the windscreen folding the sun visors down and putting something, cushions maybe, on the dash can help to hold it there. This insulation is easy to put up and take down and stores very easily when not in use.

Alternately, for the rear window you can use curtain rail, rods or expanding curtain wire to hold a curtain. Or cut some material bigger than the window and hold it to the door metal around the window with magnets.

I know I have repeated some of the advice already given but it was easier just to put it all down.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
annemarigold
Bongonaut

Post by annemarigold » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:56 am

Thank you so much. Plenty of ideas for me. Cheers, Anne
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:45 pm

For rear window. I've seen Van X rear curtains which look great.

I have the reflecting shields you can put inside van elsewhere - they are good - but fall off quite regularly especially on back window (maybe its just mine) and all 4 take up quite alot of space to store ... but I would say are definitely useful on the front window
annemarigold
Bongonaut

Post by annemarigold » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks I'll bear that in mind

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”