Electric pedal bikes

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Electric pedal bikes

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:42 am

Can you confirm that this is a 500 AmpHour battery ????? My e-bike uses a 15AmpHour battery which ways around 5Kg and gives me around 50 mile round trip distance with a bit of care.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Safraneman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Safraneman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am

Sorry, Bosch call it a
"Power Pack 500" is rated at 36V 13.4 aH and weighs 2.7kg,
my spare Bosch "Power Pack 300" is rated at 36V 8.2aH and weighs 2.5kg,
I carry it in a back pack whilst cycling to extend my touring range
to over 75 miles combined.
Cheers Andy
DAFT on loan
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:40 pm

Ah glad of that thought I'd missed out somewhere!
Be very nice to have that sort of capacity, but its more like small electric car battery capacity than bike sized!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:33 pm

As this post has started up again I thought I would update on what I finally ended up with bike wise.
I had a Marin Eldridge Grade I had bought back in the nineties and as I kinda liked the bike I looked at various kits to convert rather than buying a ready built. Recycling?
I ended up with a Bafang BS01/2, as this can be programmed, and a 36V 15AH carrier mounted battery. Didnt take long to do , hardest part was getting the old bottom bracket races out. All fitted up quite nicely and it is quite stealthy once the panniers are fitted. Chassis upgrades to Marin included front brake swop out to V pull rim brake and a cheap Suntour front suspension fork. Wheels respoked as I managed to bust a few the rest is pretty much as it was.
Range is about 35miles dependant on surface and assist level. I find I use the thumb throttle more than the pedal assist and I have reprogrammed the settings for full power so this soaks it up a bit.
On the whole very happy with the result and it is put to good use across the cliff top trail from Folkestone to Dover and back, a good few hills on the way .
I bought the wife a purpose built NMC from Amazon on special at 900.00ukp this has a hub drive rear and 48v 16AH frame mounted battery looks very much an e bike. Very impressive for the money, no throttle ( I wish I knew how to fit one as it is hard to use on rough trails) but as a road bike it is very good with suspension front and disc brakes it makes a relaxing ride. Not to many hills that can beat it and battery life is extremely good although I have never measured it.
Biggest draw back is that its heavy lifting over gates etc.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Hello
Last year I bought a volt pulse x electric bike and at £2000 It was deemed a good quality bike. At 19kg it was heavy so battery assist was needed when climbing hills. It had a bigger battery supposedly offering 70 miles on a charge. However I questioned whether I would get anywhere near that in typical riding conditions, more like 25 under typical use. The battery was £570 to replace and in the manufacturers owners guide, it stated "it is industry norm to expect the battery to only hold 60% of it's original charge after 2 years".
I have now sold the bike as I prefer to manually cycle, however I would say they do have advantages, but if buying test ride first over a weekend if possible as they do take a bit of getting used to, and check how old they are if buying used and the cost of replacing the battery.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 pm

There are several companies who will re-cell a battery for you and most likely also upgrade the BMS at the same time. However I would advise checking which cells they are going to use and if possible check in detail against the type of cell already installed in the case to ensure that there going to be equivalent to the originals! Most of these companies will also offer an upgrade of cell as well, usually quoting a better capacity, but often it might well be simply matching the original quality of cell used - cell capacity is only one parameter, the internal resistance profile with state of charge can also be a critical parameter to match.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Off Message”