Dripping problem

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

Dripping problem

Post by sotal » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Just been away this week.

Had a great time and the Bongo behaved itself.

The only minor concern that I've had was today. We came to leave and packed up etc and drove about half a mile to walk the dog.

When I parked up I noticed a little drip a little in front of the rear offside wheel. I didn't think much of it as the sink waste pipe comes out in that area.

I walked the dog and came back and I noticed there was a fair sized puddle and it was still dripping. It worried me a little as it was about a foot or so back where I had a leak before which was something to do with the gearbox. However this time it just appeared to be water.

My worry with it being water though was that the rear heater unit must be around there and I didn't want it to be coolant. I checked the header tank and the level was normal.

Looking to see where the leak was coming from, it was coming from between the seam of the sill underneath. The water looked quite clear.

My next thought was that it was perhaps the sink waste pipe leaking? Or some other leak from the kitchen unit but I couldn't find any evidence of this. My next worry with it was that in that region on the outside just above the sideskirt there is a couple of tiny rust bubbles forming so it seems like it has been getting wet for a while.

I had the rear arches replaced a few months ago - wondering if the heat could have melted a hole in the drain pipe? Anything else it could be? Is there an aircon drain point round there anywhere?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Dripping problem

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:49 pm

Have you had the Air Conditioning on ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Yes aircon had been on.

Forgot to say that I have just done 3 hours of driving and all is still going well. Haven't checked if it is still dripping from there though. (Did stop twice and it wasn't dripping then)

Aircon has been on and off throughout the journey.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Condensation dripping off the condenser is normal after having the AC on and parking .
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:08 am

It is coming through a seam in the metal and causing the body work to rust though! Is there a drain point near the rear heater? Just wondering if it has come adrift.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:01 pm

this is a good pic of the drain, its just next to where the 2 pipes are bolted up to the unit.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:25 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:this is a good pic of the drain, its just next to where the 2 pipes are bolted up to the unit.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
So is that visible underneath the Bongo?

If so that isn't where the water is coming from
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:56 pm

if i remember right it has a little rubber nipple type thing showing below the heater floor level, some just have a hole if there is rust present.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:27 am

Was it raining the night before you left and does the vehicle have a AFT fitted?.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:44 am

teenmal wrote:Was it raining the night before you left and does the vehicle have a AFT fitted?.
Don't think it was raining the night before we left (although the awning was quite damp from condensation - maybe a little rain?) However we had quite a bit of rain 36 hours or so before we left.

Yes the Bongo has an AFT.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:58 am

sotal wrote:
teenmal wrote:Was it raining the night before you left and does the vehicle have a AFT fitted?.
Don't think it was raining the night before we left (although the awning was quite damp from condensation - maybe a little rain?) However we had quite a bit of rain 36 hours or so before we left.

Yes the Bongo has an AFT.

That could very well be the problem, rain/water lying on the roof and owing to the position/level of the vehicle being held back until vehicle is moved.

It might also be worthwhile checking the headlining and the skylight
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:24 am

Would that come through the seam underneath though?

It hasn't dripped any more since, but saying that I haven't used the sink and it hasn't rained since!

Just worried as it looks like I'm getting a bit of rust above the side skirt on the outside, so I'm worried that it is collecting water inside there and rusting through.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi,

I have a theory based on the rear AC condenser..
Could the rear heater matrix & condenser housing be damaged or cracked from a previous side impact (successfully/professionally repaired bodywork.) behind the driver's door?? However the housing unit being overlooked for damage.. (It sits pretty tight in that gap.)
This may cause the condensation to seep into the cills as opposed to the drain hole out underneath & maybe finding its way out elsewhere..?

When I say "therory"..? Lol, I once took a "scuff" in that area in a car park. The driver paid for the panel damage. However guess the nupty that forgot what lies behind. Until I discovered the rear manual heater flap sticking... :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Had the kitchen unit out today and looking behind it all looks perfectly good.

The only thing I can see and this is becoming my primary area to look at is that the kitchen drain pipe comes out in the rear arch area, where it comes out was sort of sealed in place with black silicone but isn't so well sealed now. I'm wondering if when travelling along water is being thrown in through the hole and gathering somewhere within?

It isn't coming from the a/c drain tube, it isn't coming from the kitchen waste pipe itself and it wasn't a leak in the kitchen unit at all.

Return to “Bongo Chat”