JAL imports conversion

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

George217
Bongonaut

Re: JAL imports conversion

Post by George217 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:22 pm

From a personal perspective, I have looked at all of the known importers, and even solicited opinion about JAL on this forum. From the feedback, they appear to carry the best quality stock, and JAL do have a sound reputable name. All of this despite some caveats and misgivings on my part about buying from them.

Perhaps more importantly, from what I have read, there is hardly any difference in the cost between any of them for putting a roof in. My view was that Phil may as well do it whilst he had the vehicle, and save me hauling it somewhere else just to end up paying the same money.

Naturally, other opinions are available. :wink:
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:42 am

Holding A Gun to your head comes to mind, excuse the pun.

You Pay the Dealer/Trader, you call the tune.

:shock:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:09 am

George217 wrote: ........... From the feedback, they appear to carry the best quality stock.............
:wink:
Yet you are buying one unseen as it's still on the boat somewhere between Japan and the UK ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:30 am

Bought ours from Phil 'On the Boat' 10 years ago.

He gave us the option to choose another one if we didn't like it but its been great all that time. ☺
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:50 pm

No, I haven't bought it, just put down a small holding deposit until I view. If I do not wish to proceed after examination, the deposit is refundable in full, or, as Bob said, I am free to choose another one - my choice. Also, Phil is putting me under no pressure to have anything done. On balance, I think that's pretty fair, bearing in mind the good reviews that JAL have had on this forum, and the very positive PMs I received when I asked for advice on JAL from this forum some months ago.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:03 pm

How strange.

Just received a mail from JAL to tell be that the vehicle is there ready to view.

Keep you posted as to what the decision is.
Mike

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:39 pm

George217 wrote:How strange.

Just received a mail from JAL to tell be that the vehicle is there ready to view.

Keep you posted as to what the decision is.
Wow, exciting. Good luck and we'd love to see pics :-)
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:01 pm

Will do Mike. Going up on Sunday, so looking forward to seeing her.
Mike

George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Well, seen her and happy. Needs a good clean but that's to be expected. Definitely going for the LCA and immobiliser given the experiences on this forum and will likely go for the full underseal. Still thinking about the conversion but would like the sky lift with mesh for air circulation.

Keep you posted
Mike

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 pm

George217 wrote:Well, seen her and happy. Needs a good clean but that's to be expected. Definitely going for the LCA and immobiliser given the experiences on this forum and will likely go for the full underseal. Still thinking about the conversion but would like the sky lift with mesh for air circulation.

Keep you posted
Recommend getting the Skylift roof with mesh and zippable bit, even if it costs a bit more. I got the Skylift without the unzippable mesh and have regretted it. It gets very hot up there and the small mushroom air vent placed to the rear of the roof does nothing. I have had 2 more mushroom air vents fitted to the front of the roof - works very well.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's one of the things I asked Phil for. In no particular order of importance, my list is:

Full underseal (inc box cavities).
Split charge unit and 240v EHU
Topbox storage
Rear kitchen
Mesh window "up top"
Immobiliser
The good old LCA

I will also replace the double din unit when I can size up what I need.

As she is Caribbean Blue, she will be named Viv after my cricketing hero Viv Richards. Wrong sex I know, but I think Viv suits her.

Incidentally Jilly, you were one of the members who answered my request for advice some months ago, and I'm very grateful that you provided it. You were a great help to me, and I'm obliged.
Mike

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Didn't know Viv Richards was blue. :lol:

OK, I'll get me coat. :oops:
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Not worth taking it off Bob! :lol:
Mike

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:25 pm

George217 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's one of the things I asked Phil for. In no particular order of importance, my list is:

Full underseal (inc box cavities).
Split charge unit and 240v EHU
Topbox storage
Rear kitchen
Mesh window "up top"
Immobiliser
The good old LCA

I will also replace the double din unit when I can size up what I need.

As she is Caribbean Blue, she will be named Viv after my cricketing hero Viv Richards. Wrong sex I know, but I think Viv suits her.

Incidentally Jilly, you were one of the members who answered my request for advice some months ago, and I'm very grateful that you provided it. You were a great help to me, and I'm obliged.
I 'may' have been. You're welcome.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”