Which Bongo please?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Parhelion
Bongonaut

Which Bongo please?

Post by Parhelion » Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm getting a bit confused! I'd really appreciate some advice on the best bongo and conversion (or not). We've got two dogs, one big so would like a bed in the roof so that we can leave them downstairs at night. However, it would be useful to be able to have a single bed downstairs if that's possible, in case the roof bed isn't very big or comfy, while leaving enough floor space for them. Is there a configuration that will do that? And which type of conversion would give the most floor space during the day (or are there too many variables to say that?) Do the seats slide/split/work differently in different age vehicles etc?

I have thought that perhaps we don't need a conversion as long as we've got light/heat and a way of boiling water/2 burner thing. Anybody else get by with this?

How usable is a Bongo in winter (if not insulated, which I see some are)?

Thanks for any thoughts, Kate
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Which Bongo please?

Post by sotal » Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

The roof bed is big, width of the bongo and about 7 foot long.

I find it comfortable enough but you can put extra padding etc if you want it.

We have a mid conversion which gives a good sized single bed downstairs (can fit 2 adults at a push). I like having the kitchen unit but I don't think it is essential. I could live with a 2 burner hob and a large bottle of water (I would want an awning or pull out canopy). The mid conversion is great for floorspace as it leaves the central area.

We have 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog in ours, The dog sleeps on the drivers seat.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Personally I would suggest you look around a few and suss them out before committing your self ..

Although some think the Bongo are a bit like a Tardis .. in reality the rear is quite small .. I would think with two adults and two dogs .maybe OK for a 'one nighter .. longer stays in one place it may be better with a drive away awning as well ..

Then maybe it would be better with a none converted Bongo and utalise a portable butane gas cooker ..

Never ever use 'naked flame' gas heating .. The only way you can safely heat one is using camp sites with electric hook ups .. then most use small oil filled radiators or similar .. Or investing in proper installed / ventilated heating systems run on diesel / petrol / propane .. ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Parhelion wrote:... Do the seats slide/split/work differently in different age vehicles etc?
There are different seat layouts. Put simply they come with either long seat runners or short runners.
Long seat runners. They run full length of rear and fitted with two bench seats in the rear.
Short runners. They are just long enough for the front bench seat (opposite sliding door) to slide forward for passengers to access back seats and slide rearwards for use as a seat. The back row seats don't slide but flip up against the sides.

There is a comprehensive diagram in this post: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... ts#p663185

Mid side conversion does give lots of floor space during the day and good internal access to the "utilities". Need to think how the dogs sleep if the bed is put up downstairs. There is an option to make the bed using the front seat and something behind it which would leave quite a bit of space by the tailgate.

Rear conversion or, the less common rear side conversion, gives internal and external access to the kitchen but internally it isn't good standing up access as it does not align with the lifting roof.

I use an unconverted van with a DIY unit to store stuff and support a camping stove. Fixed down using the floor rails. A small jerry can style water container delivers water via a hand pump screwed to the unit (manhandling a water container in confined space proved awkward). With minimal cost commitment your options remain open but unless you start on a proper DIY conversion you are restricted to what you can do with standard seats.

If you are using both the upstairs and downstairs for beds, you need to consider where you keep bags, clothes, cool box, camp chairs etc etc. A lot of it can go under/inside a downstairs bed but becomes less accessible at night. Front footwells and seats can provide useful storage whilst camping.

Nothing beats taking a look at some bongos perhaps at a meet. You will be made most welcome. You can also get a load of ideas from discussions in the Conversions, Camping Equipment and Pimp my Bongo forums.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Fri May 06, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought. We have a small dog who would curl up any where, e.g., foot well, front seat etc. But the big one needs more space although does fold up fairly small.

Think we would only ever be likely to use it for a night or two with two adults in it.

I do like the idea of a unit that you could make/buy with storage, stove and water. cmm303 - is there a picture of your unit on the site anywhere?

Has anybody got an idea of how much it would cost to put in lino/rubber type flooring? I would be concerned the carpet would be disgusting in no time.

Thanks everyone for your input!
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri May 06, 2016 9:11 pm

I am an advocate of the mid conversion, especially if only planning shorter trips and carrying passengers (canine included).
I would, in your situation, consider a swivel passenger seat and gauge whether the large dog could sleep on that. It wouls make it more homely if they weren't closed off by the chair facing away.
Although i have geared up my conversion nicely for my needs, when i get some spare money (ha, when!) I will certainly be going with a swivel seat for our dog and for space.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Parhelion wrote:...
cmm303 - is there a picture of your unit on the site anywhere?
bit shy about it as it's not half as smart as so many others. We've painted it since!
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... es#p605628
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Sat May 07, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks Chris! It's so useful to see. I am thinking an unconverted one will be best for us given our occasional use, and more likely to be me and dogs rather than 4 of us. I don't need all the seats either.
Do fancy additional light and ability to charge things, use a heater so would have to think about leisure battery, hook up etc. any idea roughly what that would cost to get done please?

In terms of flooring, I guess possible to get rubber matting perhaps rather than look at getting it re floored?

The challenge is getting a balance between it being comfortable and practical enough for occasional short stays and day use but being sensible about the fact that it will usually be the dog, shopping and dump wagon!
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sat May 07, 2016 7:29 am

Your thread should maybe read which jap camper, and due to your circumstances you should be looking at an elgrand or a granvia, neither have a centre consol thus the dogs can sleep (small one under the rock and roll bed or in the front foot well the large on can sleep between the driver and passenger seat, as the bongo is very small compared to both the elgrand and the granvia, our bongo was fine for our small Jack Russell cross, sleeping under the bed, it can be very cold in the roof at night, climbing up and down for the loo can be an issue, several sites over the years have been so windy the top has had to be lowered, I would think about hiring all three and testing before you commit, the bongo is a great vehicle to drive out ours suited our needs perfectly however it is shorter and narrower than most other camper vans.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Sat May 07, 2016 8:33 am

Thanks Jim - more to think about! One of the benefits of the Bongo for me is it being smaller to drive and park (and cheaper?) Good points about loo and roof when windy which I hadn't considered.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 am

Parhelion wrote:Thanks Jim - more to think about! One of the benefits of the Bongo for me is it being smaller to drive and park (and cheaper?) Good points about loo and roof when windy which I hadn't considered.
Narrowness makes Bongo much easier drive down narrow streets and lanes. I don't think its (much, or at all) shorter than Elgrand or Granvia. From memory it's seating etc. is less fussy and neater for laying flat than the Elgrand. Whilst it is narrower than others my view is even with the wider vans a side conversion leaves a fairly narrow double bed. I love the electric blinds - v quick and convenient for hiding belongings when parking. Bongo thus wins hands down for me if (like me) you want to use it as an everyday car. It is a great all rounder. Swivel front seats would really help in your situation i think.
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Sat May 07, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks Mike - I guess swivel seats are a modification which you'd have to get done unless unless you were lucky enough to buy one already done?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 07, 2016 10:45 am

Parhelion wrote:Thanks Mike - I guess swivel seats are a modification which you'd have to get done unless unless you were lucky enough to buy one already done?
I think so. The passenger seat mod has been offered for a while so a modded one may come up on the market but drivers seat mod is a fairly new offer. In any case you don't want your choice of Bongos narrowed so might be best to budget for after purchase fitting.
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Sat May 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks Mike!
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Tue May 10, 2016 8:08 am

So.. The search and research continues! I do lots of short journeys - can anyone tells what issues this is likely to present with a 1996 diesel?any thanks

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”