Central locking key fob

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Wildkardde
Apprentice Bongonaut

Central locking key fob

Post by Wildkardde » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:43 am

Hello all,

The key fobs that came with my Bongo are in a right state and disintegrating (rubber coming off buttons, have snapped off key ring) so i need to replace them.
Can anyone suggest someone to do this in the Essex area?

I thought this would be pretty easy to find, but it isn't.

Any help greatly appreciated.

D
weebrian
Bongolier

Re: Central locking key fob

Post by weebrian » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:56 am

If this is an original fob, the problem is that Jap systems work on a different frequency to European motors and so are hard to source. If you can get one, you then have to code it to your motor. Some people seem to think that this is difficult or well nigh impossible to sort out so go down the route of installing a new actuator with new remotes. I'm sure someone will come up with some suggestions.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Can you post a photo showing what type it is? Many of them are aftermarket and therefore quite difficult to replace. This is a genuine Mazda remote form 2002 model:

Wildkardde
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Wildkardde » Tue May 17, 2016 6:34 am

Apologies for the slow reply.

I'll get a picture of the key fob and post it later. However it's not a Mazda part by the look of it as it's different to the key fob pictured above.

Dominic
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 am

I've got a Mazda one like the picture above but ideally I'd like 2 if possible. Does anyone know if that's possible?

I have contemplated either an Aftermarket alarm or an Aftermarket central locking remote but it might be nice to get an extra fob.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue May 17, 2016 12:53 pm

When I picked up Tonto from the dealer, the key fob was almost breaking where it goes onto the key chain. Of course, it did break. I went back and their answer was to fit a new central locking system with a new key fob (I did get 2).

However, the system that was fitted works fine using the remote control button (now that I've changed the batteries!), but the key itself does not work the central locking by inserting it in the driver door! That is frustrating. I think I would have rather had the central locking without the remote!

Anyway, my mate Allan is hopefully going to sort this out for me when I next visit (news to Allan, I know). :wink: (I'm gathering a list Allan).
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Cad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cad » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 pm

Hi everyone. New Bongo owner and new to the forum. I have an original remote fob for my Bongo and a seperate key, but would like to be able to combine the both in one.
Was thinking of trying to take out the electronics of my fob to put it in a new flip key fob shell, but have now read that it's possible to buy a replacement fob and programme it yourself. As I understand it I need to to purchase a 315mhz fob, which I'm struggling to find. The previous links I've found on BF no longer seem to work. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:30 am

You will have problems finding a 315Mhz fob (some available on eBay), as they are the incorrect radio frequency in Europe! The world was split into three regions in the past and frequency allocations made on a regional basis. However with the increased globalisation this is now causing problems as there are significant differences in what is allocated to each band! In Europe 315Mhz is allocated to ;
315MHzAllocations.JPG
This is mainly used by outside broadcast television trucks to satellite links using significant power levels, which doesn't work well with tiny low power key fobs! Its also used by the Military in marine environments like harbours and ports which I can personally confirm will cause you problems if you park in such an area, as if the transmitters come on you won't be able to lock/un-lock with the fob!

You would be best to remove the old stuff and install a Cat 1 alarm system in Europe which will also give a reduction on insurance costs ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Cad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cad » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:29 am

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Would most alarm installers be able to remove the old and install new? Any idea on ballpark cost?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Yes there quite adapt at removing them! A new Cat 1 installation can be quite expensive however several hundred, mine was a Autowatch 457 RLi with a few extras added, was £525 that was a year ago now.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:49 pm

At that price or more at todays rates I'd stick to turning the key in the lock.

Return to “Techie Stuff”