Defibrilator

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Bob
Supreme Being

Defibrilator

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:24 am

Any thoughts on raising money for a Club owned defib?

Details by consensus. 8)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Defibrilator

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:38 pm

A couple of questions spring to mind :-
Based on the past, how likely is it to be needed?
Will a trained person be on site for 24 hours a day?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Impossible to say if/when it would be needed, but yes, I have had to do CPR on someone and they can be used with little or no training. 8)

With about 3000 Club members this would be £1 from a third of them. :)
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Defibs are designed to be used by people who can look at and understand a simple picture which tells them what to do.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Current defibs are fully automated usually with voice guidance to make them completely fool proof.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Although it is desirable to have someone to hand who has undergone training, this is certainly not necessary. It is nearly impossible to make a mistake. Thats why AEDs are often available in public places to whoever needs them. As Joe says, they are designed to be used by anyone with a modicum of common sense. Brilliant tool, much more pleasant than carrying out CPR and much more effective.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Handy if your Bongo needs a jump start too.

I've had defib training and the machines tell you clearly what to do.
It sounds easy but you'll be pumped full of adrenalin if you have to use one and this can affect what you do more than you might think. Fortunately, the machines speak with a soothing voice which might calm you a bit.

Just to mention, get the defib on as soon as possible - seconds are vital here and recovery rated drop dramatically with time. Don't worry about ripping clothes off or exposing boobs or the like - speed is key as is the 999 call.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 am

My son (Warwick) died just two weeks ago .. I signed a form some time back to tell paramedics not to use a defibrillator to extend his life ..

As it turned out I was with him as he took his last breath .. in a home he loved .. with a Dad and two staffies who loved him ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:12 am

Mike, I'm so very sorry to hear Wawick has died.

I can't imagine how you must all be feeling and wish I had some words to make things less bad.

Thinking of you and your family, from our hearts

Bob and Sue
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:46 am

Hi
So sorry to hear that , Mike....I don't think words are enough, other than to say a lot of folk will be thinking of you.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 am

Mike, So sorry to here that, hope your coping OK.

But yes Edna had made it clear from along time before the AIH that took her, that she didn't want to be resuscitated at any point, having been a nurse for many years, she knew more of the outcomes than most of us.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Even if you don't need training, where will it be kept and how will everybody know?
I think they are excellent machines, but the practicalities of using one on a campsite, with little security, will probably cause problems. It's just not reasonable to expect the holder to remain on site at all times so they would need to let everybody know where the machine was going to be in their absence.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)

Return to “Off Message”