headlight meltdown

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

francisarcher

headlight meltdown

Post by francisarcher » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Both front headlight connectors (the plastic bits that connects directly to the bulb) melted a few weeks ago. Have now changed them however they still get extremely hot and so I dare not use them.
I have had AVA liesure try and find the problem - however they can't crack it and are suggesting that perhaps the whole front loom may need changing (at over ?1000) - HELP -
I feel there must be a simpler answer as all electrics are working fine including all the mods of the headlights - but they are just overheating when on.
Any ideas
white van man

Post by white van man » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:15 pm

has it got standard 55/60 bulbs or has it got some weird non standard bulb that is a higher wattage and gets a lot hotter?
francisarcher

Post by francisarcher » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:35 pm

it has the same bulbs I've had in for 5 years. (standard ones) I think it is some sort of short circuit somewhere - or a loose connection - problm is how to track it
white van man

Post by white van man » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:12 pm

disconnect battery and see if you can find a high resistance with a multi meter which might cause the heat problem!!!
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:20 pm

Just a thought, but did they check the battery voltage? Could be a duff regulator, more volts = more heat.
All Black 1997 Ford Freda 2.5 diesel
francisarcher

Post by francisarcher » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:23 am

Can anyone recommend a good auto electrician I could take it to in the London area?
nick & jem

Post by nick & jem » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:31 pm

hi i had this problem on a lexus, all you need to do is get some heavy duty headlight connectors
Vanmanerik

Hot Lights

Post by Vanmanerik » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Check the earth wires, if it is corroded cleanit up.
Bad earths = high resistance = heat!
owelly

Post by owelly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:36 pm

My local factors sell the headlamp 3 hole connectors or try AES ( http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ).
The trouble with mine was dirty terminals and daft 100w bulbs. I've rewired the headlights through relays (from EAS!) and put a blob of vaseline on the terminals to keep them clean. They do get a bit warm but they will do, they're on the back of a blummin hot bulb!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”