JAL Skylift -v- Drivelodge elevating roof

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

JAL Skylift -v- Drivelodge elevating roof

Post by Jillygumbo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Having now picked up my bongo, I thought I had decided which aftermarket roof I wanted fitted. Now I'm not so sure.

Northstar Conversions can fit a Drivelodge elevating roof for me. I've tested the weight and I can easily push it up/pull it down (the passing pedestrians thought I was mad: up, down, up, down). So I thought OK.

When I went to pick up my new bongo from JAL today, Phil was able to show me a Skylift roof and let me have a go! Now Phil says, well he would, that his roof is better quality because it is heavier. It is stronger, will last longer and is the best aftermarket roof available, which is why he fits them. I mentioned the fact that some people had had problems with the seal reverberating and his response was that those people should have come back to have the roof adjusted, as originally advised. I've looked at the previous thread about this and sent a PM to the person that was asking (and hopefully I'll get a response) - they were going to take their bongo back to Phil for adjustment.

I'm now in a quandry! Phil advised me that a lighter roof is not necessarily a good thing to go for and provided I can lift and lower his roof, that would be the better option.

I would appreciate someone's input about this to help me make a decision. I do know that if I have a Drivelodge roof fitted within the JAL warranty period and something goes wrong with the bongo, it could invalidate my warranty.

Replies as per PM, as per the rules please.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: JAL Skylift -v- Drivelodge elevating roof

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:04 pm

How many roof types does he sell ? Just the one ? Or is there a choice from him ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:38 pm

g8dhe wrote:How many roof types does he sell ? Just the one ? Or is there a choice from him ?
He sells a side lifting mushroom, the Skylift (like the AFT but manual) and a hard top. I thought he also sold a Slimline but I can't find it on his website so maybe I saw that somewhere else.*

*Update: it is on his website but I haven't seen one in the flesh.

I couldn't lift the mushroom one at all!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:56 pm

People are bound to tell you " Mines the best"
What you need is people who actually have them on their vehicle
I once had a 40 odd year old Dormobile roof and they supplied parts to fix it, now that's service!
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:49 am

I've got the side lift mushroom from JAL. Whilst it is great when up and gives a huge amount of headroom, getting it there can be a bit of a nightmare. It is very heavy and the method of raising it is 'Heath Robinson' to say the least. If you have any problems with your upper body strength I would definitely not go for this model.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 am

weebrian wrote:I've got the side lift mushroom from JAL. Whilst it is great when up and gives a huge amount of headroom, getting it there can be a bit of a nightmare. It is very heavy and the method of raising it is 'Heath Robinson' to say the least. If you have any problems with your upper body strength I would definitely not go for this model.
I've read this before about the mushroom roofs. Can't they be fitted with gas struts to offset the weight when lifting? I'd have expected the designers to give more consideration to this :roll:
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:17 am

They do have gas struts Mike but the way it's designed, you seem to have to get past a certain point before they have any effect. Likewise when bringing the roof down, it's nice and steady to a point and then suddenly drops. If you are not ready for this you can end up doing yourself and the roof considerable damage.
mantaJim
Bongolier

Post by mantaJim » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:54 am

I dont carry the big metal pole thingy that comes with the musroom roof option. I stand on the slidingdoor step and push up. I am just shy of 6' but must admit it seems to be getting harder to lift (struts in need of regassing ?).

My method is to tie a climbing cord to the eyelet and again stand on the step and pull on the cord to lower but you have to be ready to catch and take the weight as it does drop suddenly beyond a certain point as weebrian says. It's a bugger when you forget to tie the cord before raising and have left the pole at home as I did a couple of weeks back.
V6 Mushroom
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:42 pm

I carry the pole for raising but do the same as you Jim for pulling down. That last 18 inches or so comes down with a heluva jolt though, nearly dislocated my elbow on one occasion. I have looked at some way of improving the shock setup but not very successfully. I used to have a VW type2 with a similar style roof but don't remember it being such a problem.
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:13 pm

We carry the pole and use it for the up and the down :D The pole itself is quite heavy though.....

The roof is very heavy but we find that the benefit of the extra headroom far outweighs the seconds of lifting and lowering it :wink: Mind, we also carry a small set of steps for unlocking the roof and also use them to stand on whilst heaving it up - one foot inside the sliding door opening and the other on the steps gives us a lot more stability and control.

If I have one (minor) gripe its that the pole is the only thing that rattles and chatters around when we're on the move... As someone has already mentioned, it is very Heath Robinson :lol:

I'm trying to find an easier (powered) alternative but I need to give it a lot more thought :D
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:04 pm

I attempted a mushroom roof while viewing at JAL. I couldn't even lift the roof 2"! I have tried the Skylift, and the Drivelodge. Both are doable for a short ass weakling like me, although the Skylift is heavier (and safer Phil says).
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
kingfisher
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by kingfisher » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:37 pm

not sure if you have already my earlier thread, "High Top Roof conversion for Bongo"

this is another option you could consider, for me, it's going to give me some extra storage room, you'll always have full headroom inside as well, plus no electrics or motors to worry about failing etc.

may be of interest to you ?.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:24 pm

kingfisher wrote:not sure if you have already my earlier thread, "High Top Roof conversion for Bongo"

this is another option you could consider, for me, it's going to give me some extra storage room, you'll always have full headroom inside as well, plus no electrics or motors to worry about failing etc.

may be of interest to you ?.
Not for me - I like the low roof height. But thanks for the thought.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:27 pm

I haven't tried other roofs, I have JAL one - it is very heavy and yes, I am always scared my hand may be hurt by it..
Another thing we found - as there is no ventilation fitted it is extremely hot and condensed up there. So we ended up installing a skylight in the roof which cost us another £250..
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Ignis wrote:I haven't tried other roofs, I have JAL one - it is very heavy and yes, I am always scared my hand may be hurt by it..
Another thing we found - as there is no ventilation fitted it is extremely hot and condensed up there. So we ended up installing a skylight in the roof which cost us another £250..
That's interesting. I went with the Skylift roof without mesh in the end so I'll see how I go. Would be interested to know who you got to fit your skylight in the roof though.

I tried the Skylift when at JAL. It is heavier than the Drivelodge one but very sturdy. Phil says you need to get the roof adjusted now and then - by him of course.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”