How much for a full respray & rear wheel arch replacement?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Mrs Miggins
Bongonaut

How much for a full respray & rear wheel arch replacement?

Post by Mrs Miggins » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Ok, so we're thinking along the lines of smartening the little lady up a little with a lovely new interior conversion which will be lovely!

But she's looking a little worn on the outside now and we've been advised the rear wheel arches need replacing as the rust has got too much.

We've had prices for the wheel arches but we were thinking on sending her in for a full re-spray and maybe changing the colour whilst we're at it. Her current colour is black with grey auto top and skirts.

So firstly, has anyone had a full re-spray done in the same colour as it was previously? If so how much are we looking at approx?

Secondly, has anyone gone for a completely different colour (maybe a metallic option) and if so, approx how much would that be? Saw a rather nice metallic green/blue on another camper whilst we were away last week that we wouldn't mind, price depending.
It's pointless asking me......... I haven't got a clue!
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: How much for a full respray & rear wheel arch replacemen

Post by Gasy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Depending where you go very much
A bloke in his garage at home £1000 give or take a few hundred
A professional spray place with a baking oven for drying baking paint £2000 or upto anything some paint is very dear
I would think at a sensible place £3000 + depending how much body repair work needs doing for a full re spray

Loads have had diy and pro paint jobs
I painted a landrover me self with a roller
Looked good for a landy
Last edited by Gasy on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Mrs Miggins wrote:Ok, so we're thinking along the lines of smartening the little lady up a little with a lovely new interior conversion which will be lovely!

But she's looking a little worn on the outside now and we've been advised the rear wheel arches need replacing as the rust has got too much.

We've had prices for the wheel arches but we were thinking on sending her in for a full re-spray and maybe changing the colour whilst we're at it. Her current colour is black with grey auto top and skirts.

So firstly, has anyone had a full re-spray done in the same colour as it was previously? If so how much are we looking at approx?

Secondly, has anyone gone for a completely different colour (maybe a metallic option) and if so, approx how much would that be? Saw a rather nice metallic green/blue on another camper whilst we were away last week that we wouldn't mind, price depending.
Before investing in a conversion I'd make absolutely sure the base vehicle was sound. If the wheel arches are that rusty, there may be rust elsewhere that needs attention also. I'd get it thoroughly inspected by a good Bongo Garage. Ian Taylor in Stoke, Wheelquick in Wigan, and Kloonsy/Dave in Barnsley come to mind. And respraying to a different colour will probably cost more than a same colour respray if its to be done well. Overall, you could find it more cost effective to sell the old Bongo and buy a different one with a conversion and a colour that you like. Mind you, I'm very attached to my old Bongo and think always in terms of mending it rather than changing it, and you may feel likewise!
Mrs Miggins
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Miggins » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:52 am

mikeonb4c wrote:Before investing in a conversion I'd make absolutely sure the base vehicle was sound. If the wheel arches are that rusty, there may be rust elsewhere that needs attention also. I'd get it thoroughly inspected by a good Bongo Garage. Ian Taylor in Stoke, Wheelquick in Wigan, and Kloonsy/Dave in Barnsley come to mind. And respraying to a different colour will probably cost more than a same colour respray if its to be done well. Overall, you could find it more cost effective to sell the old Bongo and buy a different one with a conversion and a colour that you like. Mind you, I'm very attached to my old Bongo and think always in terms of mending it rather than changing it, and you may feel likewise!
We'll have a look at the wheelbase but we're keen to keep her unless it's completely rotten. We did discuss getting rid but we've not long laid out a fair bit of cash having the fuel pump replaced (not a cheap job!) We know what's been done to her and mechanically she is sound so our reasoning is that we want to keep what we know! She also manages to give us just over 31mpg on a run! I'm well aware thats pretty good for a bongo so we'd hate to lose that! Love your bongo and she will love you back methinks!
It's pointless asking me......... I haven't got a clue!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Mrs Miggins wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Before investing in a conversion I'd make absolutely sure the base vehicle was sound. If the wheel arches are that rusty, there may be rust elsewhere that needs attention also. I'd get it thoroughly inspected by a good Bongo Garage. Ian Taylor in Stoke, Wheelquick in Wigan, and Kloonsy/Dave in Barnsley come to mind. And respraying to a different colour will probably cost more than a same colour respray if its to be done well. Overall, you could find it more cost effective to sell the old Bongo and buy a different one with a conversion and a colour that you like. Mind you, I'm very attached to my old Bongo and think always in terms of mending it rather than changing it, and you may feel likewise!
We'll have a look at the wheelbase but we're keen to keep her unless it's completely rotten. We did discuss getting rid but we've not long laid out a fair bit of cash having the fuel pump replaced (not a cheap job!) We know what's been done to her and mechanically she is sound so our reasoning is that we want to keep what we know! She also manages to give us just over 31mpg on a run! I'm well aware thats pretty good for a bongo so we'd hate to lose that! Love your bongo and she will love you back methinks!
I agree. I should perhaps have stressed more that one good reason for keeping the old one is you know what is and is not right with it. And what you put right in terms of bodywork should be reflected to some extent at least in the sale value (not that either of us are planning to sell ;-) ). Its naive I think for any buyer to expect a 20 year old Bongo not to have maybe needed rust repairs doing. I find it helps to remind myself how much more I'd be paying to own a much less satisfying (to me at least -) old VW campervan. Its unrealistic not to have to fork out some £s to keep the old Bongo up to scratch. Good luck, keep us posted on what you get up to - it should help remind others that getting older does not have to mean the end of the road :-)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:55 pm

it should help remind others that getting older does not have to mean the end of the road :-)[/quote]

That's what I keep telling my self Mike
As me birthday approaches
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Gasy wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:it should help remind others that getting older does not have to mean the end of the road :-)
That's what I keep telling my self Mike
As me birthday approaches
My memory is getting so bad I'm starting to forget I have one.....which is handy :lol: :lol: :lol:
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Have you considered a vinyl wrap?
This sort of place?
http://www.vehiclewrapsuk.com/wrap_prices.html

Our local sign bloke does them much cheaper.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:28 am

Hi
Sorry, but I think about the added cost of removing a Blue Peter sticky-back plastic job....you notice the 3 year or 5 year guarantee???...they won't even last that long if you travel abroad a couple of times and park in the heat....A proper spray job, using quality paint, well, ask yourself how long it lasts on a Bongo....almost all are 15-20 years with no appreciable problems...balance that against several wraps and unwraps....PLUS, the depth of shine on a decent paint job is far in excess of any sticky-back plastic job.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:45 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Sorry, but I think about the added cost of removing a Blue Peter sticky-back plastic job....you notice the 3 year or 5 year guarantee???...they won't even last that long if you travel abroad a couple of times and park in the heat....A proper spray job, using quality paint, well, ask yourself how long it lasts on a Bongo....almost all are 15-20 years with no appreciable problems...balance that against several wraps and unwraps....PLUS, the depth of shine on a decent paint job is far in excess of any sticky-back plastic job.
Cheers
Helen
Jeebers that sounds scary. I'd often wondered what the downside of vinyl wrap might be. All you've said has an all too plausible ring to it. :?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:50 am

Hi
Mike...they don't last 5 minutes over here . Lots of firms wrap their cars and vans, and some of the finishes are outstanding...but in the summer it gets so hot here .We had a measured 50C in the middle of the village square one year, but that's measured on a thermometer, and full sun...anyway, the vinyl only lasts a couple of years! Try and get sun'baked vinyl off is a pig of a job, and it can pull the paint with it...purely personal experience with vinyl stickers!
Of course those selling the stuff recommend it with glowing testimony, but I tend to look around and notice these things, as I'm always on the lookout for a project....and vinyl isn't on the list. I do wish that the velvetex stuff would come back, where they coat the vehicle in glue, and fire myriads of coloured bristle-fibres at the car...the finished vehicle is furry, and oh, so kool....imagine brushing the car on a Sunday...it was always reputed to be low maintenance , and easy clean.....I'd really go for a fuzzy Bongo....how KOOL!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:52 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...they don't last 5 minutes over here . Lots of firms wrap their cars and vans, and some of the finishes are outstanding...but in the summer it gets so hot here .We had a measured 50C in the middle of the village square one year, but that's measured on a thermometer, and full sun...anyway, the vinyl only lasts a couple of years! Try and get sun'baked vinyl off is a pig of a job, and it can pull the paint with it...purely personal experience with vinyl stickers!
Of course those selling the stuff recommend it with glowing testimony, but I tend to look around and notice these things, as I'm always on the lookout for a project....and vinyl isn't on the list. I do wish that the velvetex stuff would come back, where they coat the vehicle in glue, and fire myriads of coloured bristle-fibres at the car...the finished vehicle is furry, and oh, so kool....imagine brushing the car on a Sunday...it was always reputed to be low maintenance , and easy clean.....I'd really go for a fuzzy Bongo....how KOOL!
Cheers
Helen
Could improve mpg through improved boundary layer control :lol: :lol:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... o=0.510204
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Might not be the same type of velvet finish but this amused me.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/422 ... n-the-rain
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:30 pm

or go for a DIY rustoleum paint job using a roller brush. I did mine and the finish is pretty good!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:02 am

Hi
Mike
I've never heard of the original velvety jobs causing problems....I really would like the Bongo done...from memory it was about 1/2 inch thick fur...great in blue, or red.... Yep...I know about laminar flow from the aspect of hydrodynamics...another of my hobbies...
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”