Auto closing mirrors

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Andyf
Bongonaut

Auto closing mirrors

Post by Andyf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi all.

I have just modified my door mirrors to open and close with my remote central locking.

Thought I would mention the unit I installed as it was only £6.70 including shipping on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-Side ... D100102%26

Took about an hour and a half to install, picked up most of the connections behind the mirror switch and got the central locking connections off the central locking relay behind the glove box.

All in all a nice modification, very cheap to do and quite easy to fit, also retains all the functionality of the original folding mirror switch.

Andy
www.bongodecals.com
Manufacturer of quality replacement decals for Mazda Bongo's and Ford Freda's
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Re: Auto closing mirrors

Post by windywatson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi Andy,
You mentioned that you were going to do the mod when we meet at Clumber Park a couple of weeks ago. I thought I would follow suit and have one of the units you you mentioned. So nice to know it went ok and is working fine. You say you have used the central locking relay behind the glove box. Is this easy to locate?
Thought I'd ask as it will help me when I come to do the job.
Perhaps you should have done a fact sheet on the install as I can see this becoming a popular mod as the units are so cheap.

Cheers.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:39 pm

I think I'll be having one of them :). Is it possible to set the length of the open / close signal? I was thinking of such a mod to open and close the rear blinds and then have it linked in to the side door so the blind opens when the door opens.
Andyf
Bongonaut

Post by Andyf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Richard, really enjoyed clumber so if you fancy doing it again next year we would be up for it.

As for the mirrors, it really is quite simple, if I get chance I will do a quick how to (work and kids willing!)

If you take out the glove box, and look behind where it normally sits you will see the central locking relay, mine was clearly marked and was white (although I seem to remember in my previous bongo it may have been blue)

Simon

There are no adjustments to be had I'm afraid, I was thinking about the blind on the side door the other day and was wondering whether the following might work
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-4-doo ... 2edffc7338

Not ordered one yet as I am quickly using up my tinkering time with the bongo and my other half is clock watching a bit with the weather being so nice!

But I do think I might have a chance with that or something similar.

Andy
www.bongodecals.com
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:13 pm

I'd be interested if you could do a how-to. Knowing which wires to go for speeds things like this up no end!
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Andy - a couple of questions...

Does the windows fold switch still work as normal with your mod?

Do the mirrors fold up if you lock the Bongo using the locking knob thing by the drivers window?

I'm wondering how it might work on our Bongo - When you turn the ignition on, the doors all lock or rather, they used to until I wired the remote alarm so it wouldn't re-arm itself if you disarmed it and then didn't open a door within 30 seconds.
However, if you lock yourself in whilst driving, the doors still unlock once you turn the ignition on.
Andyf
Bongonaut

Post by Andyf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi Tony

Yes the window fold switch works as normal - but if you leave that switch in the closed position the mirrors will stay closed until switch that back on.

Yes the mirrors fold using the (and I quote) "locking knob thing by the drivers window"

As soon as the ignition is on the module I have installed is turned off so the mirrors will not move until the ignition is off (unless you use the window fold switch)

Hope that helps

Andy
www.bongodecals.com
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks Andy. That helps a lot.
Tony
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:34 pm

sotal wrote:I'd be interested if you could do a how-to. Knowing which wires to go for speeds things like this up no end!
Yes - what that bloke said
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:57 pm

I've just put one of these modules in.

Both kids said it was "Cool" so that should be testament enough for those considering fitting one.

Here's a guide (of sorts).

There are 9 wires to connect. This was all done on the drivers side but please read the whole post.

1.yellow - acc on. You're on your own finding a suitable supply here. I used the Bongo's dashcam feed. Coolant alarm feed would be ok
2.black - ground. Err...the chassis.
3.red - 12 volt always on. Again, you're on your own - I used the power supply to a voltmeter switch. The radio has an always on supply.

This is where it gets more useful (well, moderately so)

Pull off the right hand dashboard cover - the one that faces the drivers door. This will allow you to push the mirror switch out with its cable still attached.

The wires you want are a green/black and a green/white on the 10 pin connector plug. These are next to each other in the middle of the back of the connecting plug. I say this as there is also a light green/black wire which you don't want (well, not for this module)

Cut each wire.

4. grey - green/black switch side
5. white - green/white switch side
6. brown - green/black cable side
7. orange - green/white cable side

You're nearly there now...

The final bit is to connect up to the central locking. You should have 2 wires left on the module to connect, a green one and a blue one.
Now our Bongo has a green and a blue wire exiting the hole in the drivers foot well that feeds the cable that goes into the drivers door. You get to this by removing the right hand cover on the floor by your right foot. To me, these didn't look quite standard so you may or may not have these. However, if you have remote central locking, there should be a couple of wires that go into the door that operate the central locking plunger. Otherwise, the central locking module is behind the glove box (so I'm told)

Naturally, having tested these wires to check they do something if you operate the central locking, I connected thus:-

8. green - green
9. blue - blue.

Result!....well, no. The mirrors now closed when unlocked and opened when locked. Whilst this arrangement is great for those top speed runs the Bongo is so famous for, not to mention economy, it wasn't what I wanted. This was sorted by doing this:-

8. green - blue
9. blue - green

This time it worked.

I gather central locking can be either positive or negative in how it's triggered. Maybe the Bongo is the opposite to what the module expects.

All is how it should be, ignition on disables the device, switch works as normal, ignition on or off.
I did notice that locking the doors with the locking knob thing by the drivers window didn't fold the mirrors,

Current draw measured through the modules fuse (when the mirrors are doing nothing) was pleasingly zero.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi there,
Having read this thread i decided to do this myself today.

Today involved fixing the broken wires in the door loom, fittibg remote central locking and doing the mirrors.
All took quite a long time, working between rain showers but it all works, hoorah.
Ish...
I have found that if i lock the doors via the knob it puts the mirrors in, which isn't terrible, but certainly not ideal.
I ran out of time so i wasn't able to get the meter on it, but is it possible that this is to do with the "acc on" wire being live permanently? I took that feed off the stereo, but i know sometimes the yellow and red can be backwards on stereo's.
I ran a live feed directly from the battery for the red wire, as stated, i put the yellow wire to what was marked as switched live on the stereo (red wire, to confuse things!).

Also the switch to manually close the mirrors doesn't work, when it did before. So i assume i have a mild wiring error on the mirrors
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Callum
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Well, i had an hour yesterday whilst my son had his nap and found that a couple of fuses had blown. I had been fooling around a little, so it makes sense.
Anyway, one of them was the acc on fuse for the radio, hence that part of it not working on the mirrors.
Anyway, fuses changed and all is now working fine and as it should! Hoorah!
I must say, it makes a big difference having the remote locking, i missed it after we sold our old car. The mirrors are just for fun really!
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:35 am

Rather disappointingly the mirrors stopped working yesterday. The wee unit is clicking like it is trying to work, but it's not opening or closing.
Strangely, if i disconnect the power supply and reconnect, the mirrors fold in, then if i use the fob to unlock, they opwn out once. Then nothing. Just the click.
I can't see any obvious issues with the wiring and as the unit is clicking when i try to use the fob, i assume the trigger wires from the central locking are working.
Curious!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:23 pm

callum wrote:Rather disappointingly the mirrors stopped working yesterday. The wee unit is clicking like it is trying to work, but it's not opening or closing.
Strangely, if i disconnect the power supply and reconnect, the mirrors fold in, then if i use the fob to unlock, they opwn out once. Then nothing. Just the click.
I can't see any obvious issues with the wiring and as the unit is clicking when i try to use the fob, i assume the trigger wires from the central locking are working.
Curious!
Personally I'd go back to standard. Closing mirrors manually upon exiting quickly becomes a default action. I do it most times I am parking the Bongo (first, to protect mirrors against numpties catching them, second to keep the electrics exercised) but there can be occasions when I don't want to close the mirrors upon locking the car. Apart from having another gadget to go wrong (and so many do as they age) I prefer having a 'manual' over-ride option, which is in effect what the standard set up gives.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Having fitted the mirror kit a little while back I'd say it is more for the cool factor than for practical use. The downside, practically speaking is that it's harder to hang a rubbish bag on the mirror and the mirror is handy for applying suncream - stuff you have to unlock the van for.
The upside is you can tell if your Bongo is locked / unlocked from quite some distance away.
On balance I'm glad I fitted the kit mostly because it brings a tiny little smile to my face every time I lock / unlock the Bongo

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”