Has anyone used a Royal Leisure Traveller Annexe Drive Away

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

sotal
Supreme Being

Has anyone used a Royal Leisure Traveller Annexe Drive Away

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:41 am

We just got the drive away awning out to test on the front lawn before we go away - it was brand new in a sealed box.

However we couldn't figure out how to put it up - we've ended up deciding that there is a piece missing! It is a standard tunnel type with three arches. The arches are held in arch shape by a strap that runs underneath with a peg at each end which goes into the end of the pole.

2 of the above straps are in place but the 3rd is missing so we can't put it up :(

I take it I am right that there should be 3 straps? There isn't some fancy way of holding the 3rd pole in place is there?

We got the awning as part of the deal from the dealer, so haven't got a receipt as such for the awning. I have emailed the manufacturer via a contact form on their website (couldn't find a phone number).
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Has anyone used a Royal Leisure Traveller Annexe Drive A

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:23 pm

If it's like this one then it definitely has a strap under each hoop...

sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:10 pm

That style yes - but just 3 arches rather than 4.

I'll have to wait and see if the manufacturer comes back to me, fingers crossed they can just post out the missing part.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 pm

I've managed to borrow 2 straps from our tent and tie them together to do the job of the missing part - I will still chase up a replacement but at least I know I can go away as is.

We trialled it today on the front lawn. It goes up quite easily and looks a good size. Approx 10foot by 12foot. The fixing system to attach it to the Bongo was shockingly poor! It consists of a bar which goes through a pocket in the end of the awning - this sits in the gutter and has two suction cups to attach it to the bongo. These seemed to be rubbish and wouldn't stick to the contoured lines of the bit below the ATF. They didn't even stick that well to flat metal. I ended up finding a couple of clamps which I think came as part of a cheap tool set once. These clamp the bar to the gutter nicely. Is there any better way to do this? It does have the beading in the edge which can go into the awning channels - so maybe a figure of 8 channel? Or is that more likely to pop off than the clamps I have?

The clamps I have are not identical to these but they are similar:
ebay link
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Ours has a pull-out too so we attach the tunnel to the free end of the pull-out either extended or retracted. Makes for a huge setup but you do need a pitch the size of Belgium to deploy it :D

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Blimey Muz,how old are those snaps?? Hannah looks about 8 :lol:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:36 am

2008, she was 6 :lol:
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 pm

My Royal which looks exactly the same came with the bar system for attachment but has integral clamps. Regardless, I just use figure of eights.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi,

I have a similar awning and I put the pole over the 3 metal loops that are usually hidden under the roof and only appear when the roof is raised. Sorry for the un-technical description.
Much easier than messing around with the figure 8.
This method holds the awning perfectly. :P
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:09 pm

marionw wrote:Hi,

I have a similar awning and I put the pole over the 3 metal loops that are usually hidden under the roof and only appear when the roof is raised. Sorry for the un-technical description.
Good idea. =D> ha ha
Always be ready for a Top Up!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Not had much luck on the missing part. I had contacted the manufacturer to see if they could send out a part.

They queried exactly what part it was then sent a helpful reply saying that they don't keep them in stock as they never need to replace them and they never have any problems with missing straps. They also said I'm not their customer so I need to go back to the retailer to get it exchanged for another one!

So not particularly helpful - I know which company I'll avoid when looking for any other awnings etc in the future!
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks for this post. I bought the same one and couldn't figure out why the arch nearest the van was so wide? So, it's a missing strap then! I used 3x figure 8's without problems. Our record for erecting it is 12 minutes so far, including guy-rope pegging.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:57 am

marionw wrote:Hi,

i can see this having advantages over fig 8: higher up, better water run off and rain protection but what keeps the pole behind the brackets especially when windy?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:15 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Thanks for this post. I bought the same one and couldn't figure out why the arch nearest the van was so wide? So, it's a missing strap then! I used 3x figure 8's without problems. Our record for erecting it is 12 minutes so far, including guy-rope pegging.
We now have the 3rd strap and all works well now.

I'd say our time for putting it up is around that - takes us longer to put it down!

We've stuck with the big clips to hold the pole on the gutter - it works really well and is much easier than threading though a figure of 8.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 pm

I have experienced very high winds whilst in the Bongo and the bar has never shifted from the brackets.

It can be threaded so it sits behind 2 of the brackets and under one for a bit extra grip.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”