Heat insulation for the Bongo

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Heat insulation for the Bongo

Post by Alison01326 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:40 pm

I've had a look, but can't seem to find what I am looking for (probably should be looking harder).

Poor Seymour needs surgery for tinworm, a job we have been putting off due to lack of funds, so obviously it's now quite serious. We thought that once all the interior panels are off, it would be a good time to put a bit of insulation behind the panels so that we get maximum benefit from our Webasto heater!!!! Should have done it years ago.

Anyway, the other half and I are discussing the benefits and pitfalls of various types of insulation of which neither of us know a great deal anyway.

Sheeps wool - I know I've seen it mentioned on here. What's it like regarding damp (it rains A LOT here) and as we're near the sea I'd say it's never 100% dry so if it retains moisture that could be a problem

Closed cell foam?

Shiny stuff?

Not sure of all the brand names, etc. Searches online for insulation come up more with sound insulation than heat insulation. I suppose they are similar but we would want to keep the heat out (in the unusual and unlikely event that we experience warm weather) as well as keep the heat in when we use the Webasto.

All thoughts and suggestions very welcome although given that it's probably going to cost us a small fortune to get the bodywork done, we'd prefer to be looking at the less expensive products on the market.

Your experiences, please.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Heat insulation for the Bongo

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Hmmm. I'm wondering if insulation is going to be critical as long as the webasto is delivering sufficient heat. I suppose with better insulation that it might sped less time on and thus you'd have less noise, but woujld hte energy savings amount to much? Like you, I'd be concerned lest filling voids with insulation led to increased damp retention through reduced ventilation. I might prefer to stick some suitable (durable) stuff to the metal panels to stop moisture cold bridging onto them but whilst leaving a free void to allow air circulation. I think I saw some promising looking stuff on New Dawn Conversions stand at the Bongo Bash, so you could try contacting them for advice and to purchase stuff?

Good luck with the tinworm. I did a thread on wheel arches that you might want to look at:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... fibreglass

If you could do the arches this way, you could focus your money elsewhere, such as on the important structural stuff that must be done with welding.

Good to see you on the forum again - haven't seen you around for a while and was wondering. :D Sad when people just disappear.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:35 pm

I've used a wool insulation (loft insulation from B&Q) actually a 50/50% mix of wool and synthetic, giving the best of both. Quality breathable insulation that does not trap condensation. Yes its lovely and toasty.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Mike, I admit I have been unusually quiet of late. I foolishly agreed to become an Assistant Cub Scout Leader a couple of years ago and am enjoy my official second childhood so much that I am allowing it to take up more time than it needs to!

Agree with what you say about the insulation - it's just that once the Webasto goes off (ours is on a 2 hour timer), the temperature plummets within about 30 minutes. Of course with our super, duper sleeping bags we go to bed warm and stay warm, but the Bongo does feel cold.

Will read your article about the tinworm. Unfortunately we have some very nasty rust in the A-pillar on the drivers side and that needs some major surgery so we are employing the services of a body shop to do the lot. It would have been nice to tackle it ourselves (or rather, for Zigi to tackle it on my behalf) but it really does appear to be a job for a professional. He's doing the wheel arches too while he's got it.

Will also look at New Dawn Conversions insulation, and the B&Q stuff (thanks "the1andonly").
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:36 am

Alison01326 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Mike, I admit I have been unusually quiet of late. I foolishly agreed to become an Assistant Cub Scout Leader a couple of years ago and am enjoy my official second childhood so much that I am allowing it to take up more time than it needs to!

Agree with what you say about the insulation - it's just that once the Webasto goes off (ours is on a 2 hour timer), the temperature plummets within about 30 minutes. Of course with our super, duper sleeping bags we go to bed warm and stay warm, but the Bongo does feel cold.

Will read your article about the tinworm. Unfortunately we have some very nasty rust in the A-pillar on the drivers side and that needs some major surgery so we are employing the services of a body shop to do the lot. It would have been nice to tackle it ourselves (or rather, for Zigi to tackle it on my behalf) but it really does appear to be a job for a professional. He's doing the wheel arches too while he's got it.

Will also look at New Dawn Conversions insulation, and the B&Q stuff (thanks "the1andonly").
My sympathies, on all fronts! I limited my cub/scouting involvement to helping out at camps and evenings ;-)

Good luck tinworming and sorting the insulation and keep us posted if you get time.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”