Seen at The Bash: Tailgate awning, reversible seat etc.

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Seen at The Bash: Tailgate awning, reversible seat etc.

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:48 pm

I liked the tailgate awning and the chap selling them (Paddy) was very helpful explaining how it works. As an alternative that is more suited to short term use such as getting changed or a quick brew with a rear conversion, it may be worth considering a PackaShack:

http://www.packashack.co.uk/camper-shacks.html
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:05 pm

As a paka shack owner since 2013 I suggest any prospective owner ask the question
is there really a bongo design, the T 5 version I have sold as acceptable for a Bongo doesn't work
Quality: Are there raw edges or all edges taped and sewn correctly.

WRT my earlier question is a Bongo tailgate opening more like a Merc Vito or a VW T4,5 hieght and width
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Useful feedback on the PackaShack. The only one I've seen in the flesh was on a Wellhouse i800 conversion which is a slightly bigger van.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:02 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Can't see that the cost of "crash testing" is ever likely to be viable for a mod like this, not sure what the cost would be, but I would think several hundred grand would be in the right order??
I think that's the problem. Can't think it would be an mot problem but may need to check with insurers though it looked well made and hard to see how it would compromise passenger safety esp since its the seat belt that restrains the occupant and not the seat. Yes I think it was new dawn conversions who were doing them.
So - who's going to ask an insurer then? I don't think they'll like them and do they need to be given another excuse not to pay out?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Can't see that the cost of "crash testing" is ever likely to be viable for a mod like this, not sure what the cost would be, but I would think several hundred grand would be in the right order??
I think that's the problem. Can't think it would be an mot problem but may need to check with insurers though it looked well made and hard to see how it would compromise passenger safety esp since its the seat belt that restrains the occupant and not the seat. Yes I think it was new dawn conversions who were doing them.
So - who's going to ask an insurer then? I don't think they'll like them and do they need to be given another excuse not to pay out?
Volunteers please! :lol:

But really, unless the seat is proved to have contributed to an injury why should they be able to duck out except under non-disclosure breaches? But you must disclose it I think, and hope they are reasonable about it.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:12 pm

It would be classed a modification so should be disclosed. Whether it would affect the premium is questionable. Most insurers seem to have a list of 'acceptable' modifications so if the precedent has not been set for the Bongo it may be a bit tricky.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:50 pm

I loved the tailgate awning, but was a bit pricy for me £320. I would have been tempted for half that.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 pm

stuc wrote:I loved the tailgate awning, but was a bit pricy for me £320. I would have been tempted for half that.
Sorry I missed you Stuc. Yes I felt likewise, and it MUST have sprung poles before it can really be viable. Also a stronger zip. But it was nicely stitched, I liked the material and I liked the guy rope free design and snug fit. I wish them success with it and I could get tempted at some point.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:01 am

Simon Jones wrote:It would be classed a modification so should be disclosed. Whether it would affect the premium is questionable. Most insurers seem to have a list of 'acceptable' modifications so if the precedent has not been set for the Bongo it may be a bit tricky.
Agree - it all points to asking your insurer before making a decision to purchase. I think a sensible company shouldn't bat an eyelid but....
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:54 am

Tried the Packashack a while back, had to send it back, Bongo's tailgate doesn't lift high enough so the awning just 'droops'. Lovely lady at Packashack was very helpful, full refund, no problem, and I did suggest she did a Bongo version, though nothing seems to have come of it.

Derek
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:Tried the Packashack a while back, had to send it back, Bongo's tailgate doesn't lift high enough so the awning just 'droops'. Lovely lady at Packashack was very helpful, full refund, no problem, and I did suggest she did a Bongo version, though nothing seems to have come of it.

Derek
Indeed. The offering I saw at the Bash was very lightweight and compact. Just needs sprung poles, stronger zip and it should be good to go. Price is a bit steep but it looked nicely made and there's something special about limited edition handmade stuff - its more than just an awning. But it MUST be able to do its job properly, so I hope they attend to the final product development details (I think they will - they seemed very tuned in to making a good product)
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:05 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Dr Fingers wrote:Tried the Packashack a while back, had to send it back, Bongo's tailgate doesn't lift high enough so the awning just 'droops'. Lovely lady at Packashack was very helpful, full refund, no problem, and I did suggest she did a Bongo version, though nothing seems to have come of it.

Derek
Indeed. The offering I saw at the Bash was very lightweight and compact. Just needs sprung poles, stronger zip and it should be good to go. Price is a bit steep but it looked nicely made and there's something special about limited edition handmade stuff - its more than just an awning. But it MUST be able to do its job properly, so I hope they attend to the final product development details (I think they will - they seemed very tuned in to making a good product)
Why sprung poles?
and where?
I didn't see it in the flesh
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:20 pm

The corners of the awning were formed using extendable poles that fitted between the tailgate & the ground. The reason why you'd want these to be spring loaded is that when you get in & out of the van, the whole van rocks / moves up & down so the vertical poles would have to extend & contract to avoid putting stress the tailgate and hinges. I really liked the idea, but the one big concern is that I'd be wary of leaving van unattended on a site with the tailgate wide open & just a piece of thin ripstop fabric to prevent someone gaining access to the van and all my stuff. If you tend to stay put all the time, than this is less of an issue.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:15 pm

Simon Jones wrote:The corners of the awning were formed using extendable poles that fitted between the tailgate & the ground. The reason why you'd want these to be spring loaded is that when you get in & out of the van, the whole van rocks / moves up & down so the vertical poles would have to extend & contract to avoid putting stress the tailgate and hinges. I really liked the idea, but the one big concern is that I'd be wary of leaving van unattended on a site with the tailgate wide open & just a piece of thin ripstop fabric to prevent someone gaining access to the van and all my stuff. If you tend to stay put all the time, than this is less of an issue.
The poles they had set it up with came from a Khyam Bongo tailgate awning ( no longer available, but it wasn't a great product as it didn't fully protect against wind and rain). They've yet to source sprung poles for their design but are working on it.

I think the USP of this awning is it is for when you don't want to leave the Bongo parked up but you just want to make a very quick stopover / one day stay etc. It allows you to very quickly park up and use extra enclosed space. Speaking personally, I'd combine it with a swing out or quickly removable tailgate kitchen unit so that I could cook under the awning and get in and out of the Bongo without going outdoors, most likely to a full width bed.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”