Waeco MS 50 Cruise Control - Fitting

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Waeco MS 50 Cruise Control - Fitting

Post by scanner » Tue May 10, 2016 9:07 pm

But as reported earlier "they don't use the trusty waeco ms 50 but a more sophisticated £300 unit" that costs another £300 to fit.

Unless of course either Conrads or indiaemily have got things wrong.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Bought mine from this German company on eBay. At £108 approx could be cheaper still, depending on delivery. I got them to quote delivery before I bought and got a better price than they came up with after buying, until I pointed out the error [-X
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Surzy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Surzy » Wed May 11, 2016 9:09 am

cmm303 wrote:
Bought mine from this German company on eBay. At £108 approx could be cheaper still, depending on delivery. I got them to quote delivery before I bought and got a better price than they came up with after buying, until I pointed out the error [-X
Did you need an require an additional brake booster?
M Reg Auto Diesel Tin Top
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Everything needed is in the kit including some bits that are not used.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 11, 2016 1:43 pm

MS 50 Doesn't control breaking so you can run over speed down hill.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Bob wrote:MS 50 Doesn't control breaking so you can run over speed down hill.
also called taking a run up at the next hill :D
Chris with BertieB
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu May 12, 2016 3:54 am

Hi
Errrmmmm...if it doesn't control braking downhill, it's not a lot of good at sticking to speed limits, is it???....I never use them , even though I have cars with them fitted :lol: ....well, I did try one out some months back ....but manipulating throttling coming out of corners makes it a bit of a time-waster, and negates proper control of the vehicle.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 12, 2016 7:53 am

Hi Helen

They're handy for those long contraflows with 50 limits we have a lot of, definitely not for twisty roads. :wink:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:18 am

Simon Jones wrote:Everything needed is in the kit including some bits that are not used.
one trivial exception. If your bongo has the winter pack and the exhaust valve is still plumbed in you may need to source the right size T piece to break into a vacuum hose. T pieces provided in my kit were too big. (I ended up disconnecting the winter exhaust valve which didn't work anyway. )
Chris with BertieB
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 am

Good point - on my diesel it went straight to the vacuum pipe in front of the cambelt cover with the spare outlet but that would already have been used if the winter pack fitted. On my V6, there is a vacuum pipe on the N/S rocker cover so it could be spliced into easily. A few years back I bought an assortment of T, Y & straight through connectors which should cover ever eventuality.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu May 12, 2016 9:03 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Errrmmmm...if it doesn't control braking downhill, it's not a lot of good at sticking to speed limits, is it???....I never use them , even though I have cars with them fitted :lol: ....well, I did try one out some months back ....but manipulating throttling coming out of corners makes it a bit of a time-waster, and negates proper control of the vehicle.
Cheers
Helen
Well yes it does control speed downhill on just about anything less than 1 in 4, because when it backs right off the engine braking slows you down. If the slope is steep enough to allow road speed to rise despite the engine braking, you should have already started braking yourself and that will have cancelled the cruise control anyway.

Proper use of Cruise control is clearly something you have never managed to puzzle out Helen, because if you had you would not be so dismissive.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri May 13, 2016 4:04 am

Hi
Well, yes, I do know how to use them, but I don't like them, especially in the UK where people tend to overtake and insert themselves in front of you in a place where there's insufficient room and you have to brake to resume a safe distance, or roads where you have to use the throttle judiciously to control speed , because, as yet, the cruise control can't see, plus it can't think ahead should it need to slow you down as traffic slows...The one I have on t'other car applies the brakes, but it doesn't think. It's purely down to preference ....I don't use the heated seats, and I rarely feel the need to fiddle with the steering wheel radio controls, etc. I have a preference for enjoying driving, and the more you control, the more you concentrate....delegate responsibility to a machine and you need less concentration, thus being less aware . Another annoyance I do without is the sat-nav...I have one, and I did use it once. For my preference, all these toys should be an option rather than an incentive to buy....and as for holders to put your blithering drinks in, what the hell ????....I suppose the car is no longer a thing to drive, but a mobile cafe?....if you need to drink, then stop!....but in the days I used to commute to UNI, I sold the car and got another Honda 4 ....and it didn't have any extraneous controls....but en route as I drove along the "Western Avenue" chock- a - block with stationary traffic, I did see people reading the paper, eating their breakfast, shaving, .....I wonder where the fitted driver's toothbrush and comb fits???.....no....you can't sell me a cruise control/ shoe polisher yet.....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Love cruise control, used at the right times. I'm still in control, just in a different way. It isn't auto pilot.
Chris with BertieB
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri May 13, 2016 7:47 pm

cmm303 wrote:Love cruise control, used at the right times. I'm still in control, just in a different way. It isn't auto pilot.
Exactly - I use it all the time and it really isn't too difficult to puzzle out how to use it properly.
I did a late night journey from home to Pickering (N Yorks) once, well over 90% of the way on cruise.
A mile from home to the A.14 and then A.1 and dual carriageways (and not a single junction or roundabout) all the way to north of York - cruise was set to 70mph (GPS corrected) when I joined the A.14 and it didn't need to be cancelled until I left the York by-pass - my average speed for the whole journey was 69mph.
I have also used it all over the UK, for huge distances on the continent and never had any problems.

If you have trouble using cruise, you aren't using it correctly.
Bathildabongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bathildabongo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi Guys

I have been reading this forum for a while now and gathered some great advice for my Bongo. I was wondering if the info sheet for installing the Waeco MS 50 was still floating around on here? I have just treated myself this weekend and was looking for some guidance.

Many thanks, Sam

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”