The Rust Directory

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: The Rust Directory

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:45 pm

Little way off, but Discount Trucks, near Newbury?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:43 pm

They've stopped doing welding now.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
corkey
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by corkey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:08 pm

Hello there, does anyone have any idea of the cost of getting the rusty rear wheel arches cut out, replaced and resprayed in my Bongo please ?
I am located in the South East Of England, if anyone has any details I be most grateful.
Thank you
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:59 pm

Welcome aboard. :)

Sadly there’s too many variables for anyone on here to say what this would cost, I can only recommend asking a few body shops for quotes.

Hope that helps.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:13 pm

I'd budget for about £1,200 to £1,500.
corkey
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by corkey » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:36 pm

Thank you Bob/Ian,

Food for thought, I'll let you know how I get on :D
The Pilkingtons
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by The Pilkingtons » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:25 pm

Good afternoon, Fellow Bongo Owners.

We bought our Bongo in June last year, it’s in really good condition. The owners had paperwork to say they recently had the arches done. But recently bubbles have begun to appear on the arches, some starting to rust. Is this normal, or did they get a shoddy job done? Also, there must be a way of preventing the rust? Is there anything we can do to slow the process and make it look cosmetically nicer? It’s white so the rust stands out like a sore thumb!

Thanks, Adam.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm

Welcome! Nothing stops rust long term :-( It will depend on exactly how well done the original repair was done, it might have been a quick job with filler to a full cut out and replace and total re-spray style. Most of the rust comes from the fact that being Japanese vehicles they don't under seal or use galvanised steel as they don't use road salt in Japan.

Once the bubbles start appearing its a bit late as the rust is into the metal from behind, its eaten thru the metal and now the blemishes are appearing. You need to get down and dirty with a mirror and see just how it was repaired especially from behind, nut it may have been covered with waxoil to try and stop more but often without cleaning out all the old salt and moisture so it carries on corroding from behind the waxoil :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
The Pilkingtons
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by The Pilkingtons » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:33 pm

Hello, Geoff.

Thanks for posting a reply. I had it in at Bongo Spares for a new calliper just before Christmas and they said whoever did the under seal on it last did a great job. However, the bubbles seem to have accelerated over Christmas. Is it worth sanding the spots back and treating with white Rustoleum, or similar? It just looks unsightly. Also, if you cut the arches out and replace with galv steel would that prevent rust? Obviously, a complete beginner and just want to make sure we look after the thing.

Thanks,
Adam.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 am

If it came through after having had the underseal applied then they may have got a good coating (which is all that is visible) but it sounds like there was moisture trapped underneath the underseal which has continued to rust away the metal from behind.
To apply a new outer coat of paint then yes you need to rub it down, but don't be surprised that when you do the hole may get bigger as it will be surrounded by rust that hasn't yet reached the back of the paint, however this is what you need to find out just how extensive the rust behind the paint is.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
The Pilkingtons
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by The Pilkingtons » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:06 pm

Hello, Geoff.

There no holes at present just rusty coloured bubbles. I’ll give it a go and report back.

Thanks,
Adam.
NLB2024
Bongonaut

Post by NLB2024 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:16 am

Does anyone know of garages in the north of Scotland, Aberdeenshire based that will deal with bongos, or perhaps Dundee ?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:15 am

Try Kinloss Garage in Forres

Return to “Techie Stuff”