EGR System blanking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dobby
Supreme Being

Re: EGR System blanking

Post by dobby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Bob wrote:Mine was blanked off soon after we got it 7 years ago, no probs so far, and we tow a caravan.

Contact Allans in Plymouth for plates.

Yep, did the same years ago. No problems.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:13 am

Simon Jones wrote:Here's the lowdown: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_ ... irculation
The "cons" of EGR are suprising (to the ignorant like me) along with the features needed to overcome them in a modern diesel.

The temperature is interesting. Higher combustion temp = more efficient, but will the engine really run hotter? With greater efficiency I wonder if the hotter burn is offset by not having to work it so hard (ie not burn so much)?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Why does the gasket need to be removed
I would of thought it would need that to seal again ?
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Gasy wrote:Why does the gasket need to be removed
I was looking at that. Do people use any gasket seal on blanking plates. No mention in fitting instructions.
Anyhow just ordered two from Allans. and one way valve thing that I broke years ago when fitting glow plugs.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:46 pm

al & chris wrote:
I was looking at that. Do people use any gasket seal on blanking plates. No mention in fitting instructions.
Anyhow just ordered two from Allans. and one way valve thing that I broke years ago when fitting glow plugs.
I left the gasket in and used a smear of blue Hylomat sealer on both sides.
I decided to play safe and use the gasket/sealer.
With hindsight it would be a doddle to make the plates, especially if you know someone with a surface grinder to get them flat.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Exactly. normally if you break into a "system" and fit a blank or spacer you fit an Extra gasket/seal.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Don't the plates come in pairs so therefore the break section is redundant?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Briwy's excellent link from earlier shows how the centre section is removed so it should be possible to re-use the existing gasket from each end with the pair of blanking plates: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... t=blanking
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Briwy's excellent link from earlier shows how the centre section is removed so it should be possible to re-use the existing gasket from each end with the pair of blanking plates: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... t=blanking
I have messed up a thread [-X when putting in a blanking plate :oops: so need to get the elbow off to recover the thread.
Briwy's post shows "the elbow" removed so obviously it is possible. I am hoping that it is the obvious two bolts holding it to the manifold and an accessible ( [-o< ) clip to a pipe (13-230 to 13-246) somewhere in the front of the engine. I see from the diags there is also a little pipe to the fuel pump (1320/93-4104).

Do the engineers here reckon a helicoil should recover the thread fine? I will also run a die over the bolts as they don't look too great.

Even though i have already blanked off the other (rear) end of the EGR pipe, since I have turned it into a bigger job I am wondering about going the whole hog and removing the whole EGR pipe as per Briwy's post but could not see how I was going to remove the gubbins attached to its rear from under the cover that goes over the top of the engine. How tricky is this?
Chris with BertieB
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 pm

To remove the elbow is exactly as you describe. Funnily enough, the one on my diesel also stripped in the same place but I happened to have a spare engine lying around (as one does :) ) so was able to replace the whole thing. The casting there seems prone to stripping the thread but you could either run same size tap thru it to freshen up the threads or drill it an go up half a mil. This may require the flange on the EGR pipe to be increased to take the larger bolt. Perhaps finish the job off with some Hylomar on the join and thread locking compound to stop the bolt working loose?
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:56 am

That makes me feel less of a numty! Thanks for your quick advice Simon.
Not sure where I would go for half size bolts, or taps. Quick google and search through a couple of random online fastener suppliers hasn't been successful.

I'm sure the thread is beyond a same size refresh, partly why I ordered straightaway an M6 Helicoil kit. I'm not sure how big the new hole will need to be and whether this can be accommodated. Easier to judge once I get the kit, unless I can source the M6.5 tap+drill and bolt. I reckon the EGR pipe flange has a chance of taking the slightly larger bolt. If I have to take it off to mod it, why bother putting it back on?!
Chris with BertieB
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 am

Did mine at the weekend no probs 10 min job
I did use gasket seal
Only done the front blanking plate at mo
Will do the back one sometime
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:38 am

Don't know if I dare do mine now. Got the plates, just not got round to fitting them yet.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:42 am

Just been thinking about this - there is a heat exchanger which uses water to cool the exhaust gases before they are recirculated. If the EGR is blanked then presumably the gases would not go through this so no heat would get dumped into the water - so this might help keep the temperature under control/reduce risk of overheating perhaps. Any thoughts from the engineers out there?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:13 pm

There is no heat exchanger that I am aware of. One of the side effects of blanking the EGR is to actually increase the running temperature.

Return to “Techie Stuff”