New owner in NZ...anyone else?

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

New owner in NZ...anyone else?

Post by BuddyBongo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:39 am

Hey hey!

Ive just gone and bought Buddy, a diesel auto Friendee and I love him! Pretty stoked to find out about the whole 'underground' 'cult' status of these buggers! I'd never heard of them before last week.

Probably should have done a bit more research as Im now pretty scared that Im not gonna find parts for it. Please someone tell me everythings going to be ok :)

Are there many other owners still on this forum over here in NZ as I see theres hasnt been much kiwi action for a few years!?
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: New owner in NZ...anyone else?

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:42 am

BuddyBongo wrote:Im now pretty scared that Im not gonna find parts for it. Please someone tell me everythings going to be ok :)
We have a few club members in New Zealand, and many of the service items will be available locally. And if not, we can ship parts. It's not as expensive as you might think. Welcome aboard!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:23 am

Very warm welcome.

Just look at the You Tube videos on bleeding the cooling system and/or make sure any garage you use for work on the system watch them.

That's about it. :wink:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am

Hi
I'll second that on parts shipping, as we live in the far corner of the EU, and considering the price of spares of some marques, the cost of a Bongo bit including shipping compares quite favourably!...With that in mind, we run 2 cars to cover any wait for spares, but nowadays shipping is rapid!
Nice country, New Zealand, from what we've heard???
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Can't comment on parts availability but had to comment to say you lucky bugger.

Took a camper around NZ 8 years ago, an old Mazda as I recall, and not a day goes by when I don't think about my time there. A fantastic place, especially South Island, and great people (bar the odd crazy driver).
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! Just an FYI Im actually originally from Middlesbrough but moved over here in '08...and yes I do feel very lucky to live here :) and would love to show you gys around Wellington if you ever make it over.

I will hunt def down the youtube vids.... is there a list somewhere on here on things I should regularly do/watch/maintain? I read somewhere about a release valve on the engine that I should be opening occaisionally to let out a build up of air? This more or less the first proper 'keeper' vehicle Ive owned so Im very keen to look after him. All previous vans have been old tradesmans vehicles that Ive plonked a bed frame in the back of...backpacker style :)
"Tents aren't soundproof" - '95 2.4DT AFT - "Buddy"
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 pm

BuddyBongo wrote:? I read somewhere about a release valve on the engine that I should be opening occaisionally to let out a build up of air?
Pardon?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm

scanner wrote:
BuddyBongo wrote:? I read somewhere about a release valve on the engine that I should be opening occaisionally to let out a build up of air?
Pardon?
Ignore scanner - we love him but he's such a character :lol:

Trying searching posts for 'bleed tube' 'bleeding' 'coolant alarm' 'overheating' and read up on a key thing to watch with diesel Bongos. And welcome - great to have a Kiwi posting. Paul Rogers and Chris Rea hail from Middlesbrough - two of my faves.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Here you go:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAKOSxgbKo

Done by very good friends of this Forum. :D
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 pm

I'm sorry you didn't understand me Scanner I didn't realise my accent came across so strongly in my typing ;)

Thanks Bob/Mike - I will def take a look

Anyone in the North Island that might be able to give Buddy a once over? Or know of a Bongo friendly garage?... clearly I have no idea about anything Bongo and would be good to some professional eyes on him ASAP.
After reading some of this issues/tasks/maintenance posts on this forum I feel like I've just walked into 6 hour Physics exam 5 hours late. Blindfolded. With my hands tied. What have I let myself in for!?

"Paul Rogers and Chris Rea hail from Middlesbrough - two of my faves"
and don't forget Captain James Cook & Bob Mortimer - two of mine :)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:48 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
scanner wrote:
Pardon?
Ignore scanner - we love him but he's such a character :lol:

Trying searching posts for 'bleed tube' 'bleeding' 'coolant alarm' 'overheating' and read up on a key thing to watch with diesel Bongos. And welcome - great to have a Kiwi posting. Paul Rogers and Chris Rea hail from Middlesbrough - two of my faves.
:? How occasionally should I open this "valve"?

Is over 7 years and almost 100,000 miles too long to have left it un-opened?
Is my Bongo likely to be so bloated now that it will explode? :shock:

A bleed pipe for bleeding is one thing, but a "valve" for occasional relief is something completely different :wink:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:56 am

BuddyBongo wrote:I'm sorry you didn't understand me Scanner I didn't realise my accent came across so strongly in my typing ;)
Nothing to do with accent, I just didn't know what sort of "valve" you were on about and there is nothing "occasional" about use of the bleed tube as you can see from the instructions. Indeed it is something you (and any mechanic) should leave well alone UNLESS you have a problem. "Occasional" use of it is more likely to cause problems than solve them.

There is, or maybe now was, a Bongo owner in Katikati a few years ago. I used to be in contact with him and almost managed to meet up with him a couple of years ago when I visited NZ.
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:59 am

Gotcha Scanner.... good advice indeed. I guess what I was actually saying was "help, im a newbie. let me know of regular stuff i need to do or be aware of...." i paraphrased something i could only just about remember parts of.... but the outcome was the same i.e. I got the link I wanted :)

And if you make it over this way again I'll defo shout you a beer.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am

BuddyBongo wrote:I'm sorry you didn't understand me Scanner I didn't realise my accent came across so strongly in my typing ;)

Thanks Bob/Mike - I will def take a look

Anyone in the North Island that might be able to give Buddy a once over? Or know of a Bongo friendly garage?... clearly I have no idea about anything Bongo and would be good to some professional eyes on him ASAP.
After reading some of this issues/tasks/maintenance posts on this forum I feel like I've just walked into 6 hour Physics exam 5 hours late. Blindfolded. With my hands tied. What have I let myself in for!?

"Paul Rogers and Chris Rea hail from Middlesbrough - two of my faves"
and don't forget Captain James Cook & Bob Mortimer - two of mine :)
If you're as lucky as most of us have been, you're about to enjoy lots of motoring and camping in the best true mpv on the planet. If you put just a little effort in and give the Bongo your best attention it will repay you handsomely. 9 years of faultless ownership in my case, albeit with bills along the way, as must be expected. These are relatively simple cars, by modern standards, but they're not young. They may have been under maintained by an owner, and thoroughly assessing your new purchase and investing in the necessary tlc is a nettle that must be grasped. The good Bongo that results should hold its value. So, love the machine and not just what it can offer and it will end up giving you more. To paraphrase JFK:

"Ask not what your Bongo can do for you, but what you can do for your Bongo."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 am

Brilliantly put, Mike. =D> =D> =D>

Return to “International”