Caravan & Camping Club Insurance Nightnare

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

bonglets
Bongonaut

Caravan & Camping Club Insurance Nightnare

Post by bonglets » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:04 am

Bear with me this post is a bit long......Very dissapointed with attempt to insure with camping and caravan club. My veihcle details are: 99 2.5 diesel 4 wd freetop, bought from Mazda Bongo Kingston Park (wonderful service) they are sending it to Derwentside Leisure for habitation check and a full side conversion.
Had two insurance quotes one from Lifesure and other Adrian Flux no problems. Camping and Caravan club need to know what model it will be when converted? I said did the mean the model of the conversion unit....no what model van will it be....Mazda Bongo with full side conversion was my answer.....no the guy said they will give the van a new model name. We had the same conversation numerous times in case we were missunderstanding each other and he was adamant that once the van was converted it would have a different model name???? I had also been asked the model number on the prev aborted calls but had assumed they meant the model of the kitchen being installed. Now I know there are people on here that use CCC for insurance so I wonder if anybody knows what he is going on about.

99 white over Silver Bongo Freetop 2.5 tdc, full side conversion.....let the adventures begin!
janie
Bongolier

Re: Caravan & Camping Club Insurance Nightnare

Post by janie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 am

Hi,

I did mine online. Nothing was queried - they weren't interested in the type of conversion or anything. I called them with my own query which was that they asked how many forward facing belted seats (I have 3 but also three belted facing the rear). They said to put down 6 if that's how many people would be travelling. Cheapest quote by far.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 pm

That really doesn't make any sense at all does it!
All we have ever been asked is was it done commercially and name of firm and was it re-registered as a camper, end of discussion, not even asked for proof!
Someone has re-written the script and got it wrong probably, ask to speak to a supervisor perhaps ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:35 pm

I am with the C&CC .. no hassle .. all they needed was confirming that the V5 showed it as a Motor caravan .. and the LPG gas conversion was on the UK LPG register ..

Mind you .. I asked for a quote for a Toyota Alphard .. but they said they do not insure 'normal' motors .. which seems strange as they are only brokers selling various other policies ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm with C&CC and had no issues. It's listed as Imperial Mazda Bongo as it originally came from them with their conversion. I've since fitted a self build conversion which they are happy about. I think all insurers struggle when they don't have the exact vehicle listed on their system.
bonglets
Bongonaut

Post by bonglets » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Insurance all sorted with Adrian Flux, call takers know what they are talking about and pleasant as well. Got great rate fully comp for me and hubby, 60 days european cover £285 happy bunny now.

99 white over Silver Bongo Freetop 2.5 tdc, full side conversion.....let the adventures begin!
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm with Adrian Flux and have been for years, no complaints. No "computer says no" there
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:35 pm

^^^^^^^
I've heard real bad things about them from a landrover forum I use
One members car was hit
When they were not even in it and .............
Well let's just say chocolate tea pot
In the end they lost lots of landy business .
Just make sure you have legal protection included on your policy's
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
bonglets
Bongonaut

Post by bonglets » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Yes legal insurance included in policy. Were you talking about Adrian Flux or CCC.

roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:51 pm

But that can be levelled at any broker surely, when it comes to a claim, you are working with/against the insurer not the broker. I've been with them at least 10 years and have had a few minor claims, and all dealt with well. Including one where someone reversed into my car in car park when it had only 58 miles on the clock!! They helped secure a brand new car rather than repair.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:35 pm

I had no trouble with C&CC, even with a self conversion - all they wanted was some photos to show it was converted :? As there are many types of Mazda Bongo, just make sure that they know it is a Mazda Bongo Friendee that has been converted.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:07 pm

I am well pleased with the C&CC @ around £200 fully comp for a JAL V6 Bongo in a WS3 postcode ..

I intend to phone them again about the Alphard .. maybe get a different tele sales person ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:32 pm

To me all the above posts have been fair / un biased / observations / plus / minus / criticisms / of insurance companies by Bongo consumers and yet ...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... me#p641744
bonglets
Bongonaut

Post by bonglets » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Oops, have I said something wrong, if so it was not intended :oops:

Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Flux
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Insurance”