Wing Mirror

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Idris
Bongonaut

Wing Mirror

Post by Idris » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Got attacked in a French super market carpark - not for being British but for refusing to give money to a scam artist - who then went pycho - a few bumps burises, mangled wiper, dented wing, scratched door and the tough one to fix a broken wing mirror.

Can the bracket be replaced seperatley or do I need a whole mirror assembly - any recomendations apart form BongoSpares, Mazdabongo.com and of course the club shop ? (I will be trying all of the former)
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Wing Mirror

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles. You need to replace the whole mirror and there are loads on eBay starting from £30 up to about £75, but they are all passenger whereas yours appear to be drivers side. Try contacting one of the sellers with passenger ones and see if they have the drivers side. Here's one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/breaking-for- ... 2ed94b2c81

Make sure you check if the replacement is of the electrically retractable type (if yours is) as some were manual only.
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about your contretemps!

I managed exactly the same damage when my new canoe slid off the roof bars and chopped off the drivers door mirror 50 motorway miles from home.
I 'liberated' some repair washers from the 'might be useful one day' bag I carry with me, and with some bending to make them fit inside the ribs of the bracket, the use of chewing gum and a small screw, I managed to clamp the mirror bracket back together, and drove around for a week at normal speeds before swapping the bracket over, (I was swapping over to power folding mirrors anyway) (I also wrapped a security tether i.e. a lanyard I had, around the mirror, and brought it inside then raised the window to jam it, this wasn't needed)

Had I not had spares anyway, I would have made a thin backing plate and pop riveted it through the broken bracket, still using large washers to spread the load, epoxy glue like Aradilte would also stick the metal to the backing plate.
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:53 pm

Return to “Techie Stuff”