VISITING THE SOUTH WEST! Where to go, what to do!

Moderator: Doone

samuel
Bongolier

Re: SE waves to guys in Cornwall ...

Post by samuel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Mmmm! You'll be lucky to find a space as the parking spaces are normally occupied by the local residents, as parking in Pentewan village is at a premium. Most of the cotttages in Pentewan don't have the facility of off road parking!!
"Living the Dream"
Davidholman

Post by Davidholman » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:39 pm

SilverEther wrote:ooh that would be really great if you could ...thanks ... :D
Hi

I went down to Pentewan around midday.

The car park was about half full.

There is a big blue sign saying not sleeping or overnight camping :( :( :(

On the road between St Austell & Mevagissey, there are a number of laybys and pull ins. Not ideal and to be honest, probably not a recommended way to spend the night.

There are also a number of Camping/Caravan parks on the same road.

Finally There is a little pull off into Kings Wood, just by London Apprentice.

Next to the turn is Mount Caravans, an LPG refueller and a good spot for camping bits and pieces.

There are no signs forbidding overnight parking etc but is a popular local spot for walkers, cyclists and dog walkers, so overnight camping is likely to frowned upion. It is also private land!!

Incidenatly there was a Bongo in the car park, so now trying to track it down. I think I have seen the numberplate on the forum, so I hope I can find out who it was

Regards

David
SilverEther
Bongolier

Post by SilverEther » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:49 pm

David ... thankyou so much ... thats all really helpful, I really appreciate your time. I think I will stick with one of the sites then ... and try to beg a lifts from some of the friends I will be meeting there ...
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: VISITING THE SOUTH WEST! Where to go, what to do!

Post by Doone » Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Camping at Tristram Park, Polzeath
by The Noodleburgers on 04 Apr 2008 05:57:

Hi All
Just to let you know Dave and I were camping last week at a lovely site in Polzeath. It was right beside the glorious beach and we could see the sea from our bed. The weather was quite nice during the day but it all got a little bit rough at night. We had my nieces with us so I put Dave up in the roof. There was no way our Bongo was going to topple!!!!
We were only one of four campers at the site but I have to say it was pretty expensive. £30.00 a night and you then still had to pay 50p for a shower which I felt was an outrage. The location was perfect and nice little shops but as from end of March dogs no longer allowed on the beach so we wont be back there this year.
Looking forward to seeing you all next month.
Kathy & Dave.

by coco bongo on 07 Apr 2008 05:14:
Blimey £30 a night I was going to go there last year, we love Polzeath.
That is very steep for out of season, we might be going back to trevornick near Holywell bay thats a good un.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog friendly beach in cornwall
by egor110 on 20 Mar 2008 08:34

I'm in cornwall (wadebridge) this weekend doing a dog show, i'm staying at crantock but crantock beach has height barrier going into the beach does anyone know of another beach in the area i can drive to?
Obviously it needs to be dog friendly.

by samuel on 20 Mar 2008 17:29:
Egor, Perranporth is just around the corner from Newquay. This is definatley a dog freindly beach. Poo bins included at the top of the beach.

You can park right on the front. There is a barrier to the car park which states 2.1m but you will clear it in an AFT. We are regular users of this beach and car park.

By the way there is a 'Pub on the Beach'. Yes on the beach. You have to walk to it but the food and drinks are excellent. And the view is simply, STUNNING.

Hope this helps. Tim.

coco bongo on 20 Mar 2008 22:05: I second that Tim, Perranporth is lovely and only 7-8 miles from the outskirts of Newquay. Haven't been to the pub on the beach but it looks a good un'.

They have got a website with a web cam if you want to take a look.
http://www.the-wateringhole.co.uk/html/webcam.php

Doone on 23 Mar 2008 05:23: Try this link, we find it handy for all things dog friendly. http://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/dir ... Category=4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cornish beach question
by egor110 on 05 Apr 2007 07:50

I'm down cornwall this weekend with the dogs, staying at crantock but thinking of heading to bedruthan step and trevaunance cove.
Are they places ok to get to in the bongo? are there any of those barriers by the car parks? also if you can recommend any other nice beaches to take the dogs let me know, i'll be going from crantock to wadebridge each day so if its on route even better.

egor110, Try this link, the bit you want is 1/3 of the way down. http://www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk/p ... .asp#beach
All the best HC.

by Doone on 05 Apr 2007 19:05: Bedruthan is one of my favourites. It's a fairly steep descent (and ascent!) Great view with a good walk at low tide. I haven't been there for a couple of years but there was no barrier last time - the carpark was off the cliff road, above Bedruthan. There are dog friendly beaches listed on this link: http://www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by egor110 on 29 Oct 2006 20:54: Can anyone reccomend a campsite or sites reasonably near to wadebridge and cambourne? I do a lot of agility comps between may and oct at these 2 places and intend to stay over next year.
Main requirments are there dog friendly with walks nearby and as near to a dog friendly beach as poss.
I've been looking at porth beach tourist park. trevornick holiday park, beacon farm touring park st.agnes and mother iveys bay near padstow but personal recomendations are better than looking at a website.

Keswick on 29 Oct 2006 21:47: I can't help with actual sites but I would recommend you stick with smaller sites dedicated in the main to tourers, campers and motorhomes and not large sites dominated by static caravans.

scooter crazy on 29 Oct 2006 23:22: Hi We stay at; Higher Harlyn Park in the village of St Merryn. Its a nice site not far from Wadebridge and Camborne-there are 7 beaches in the area, some a short walk from the site( most dog friendly) it has a shop and a pub on site. hope this helps. Anjie.
St Merryn
Padstow
Cornwall (East)
PL28 8SG
Tel: 01841 520022
Open: March To September.

egor110 on 30 Oct 2006 00:13: Thanks for that, are the beaches near enough to walk to?
Also i'll be in cornwall next month doing a judges training course at somwhere called Roche? any nice campsites near here?

scooter crazy on 30 Oct 2006 02:57: Hi egor110. Yes we walk to Harlyn bay it takes about 15 mins. ..lovely beach and dog friendly - cant help with Roche as not been up that way. Anjie.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
violetbongojo
Bongonaut

a weekend at Slapton Sands.

Post by violetbongojo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Haydn and granddaughters (in Bessiebongo), and myself and grandsons (in Violetbongo) arrived at Slapton Sands C and C Club site on Friday evening (30 may). with weather made to order. What a lovely site this is and one of my favourites, well maintained, good clean shower block and the most amazing views wherever your pitch happens to be. The approach from Dartmouth is truly awesome, this weekend being no exception because of the gorgeous weather. Bit pricey last weekend because of half term, but so was everywhere else.Took a trip out on the sat to see the sights, which included Paignton Zoo. Lost Haydn several times, because he listens to his tom tom and I follow my nose. Back on site I fired up my disposable barbies, I must have been affected by sunstroke or something because I hadn't taken them out of their cardboard bases and we very quickly had a bit of a blaze going. Soon sorted by Haydn and we did get our tea eventually (cooked by Haydn.) because I was still in shock! Chilled out on the Sunday, the site allowed us to stay till 2.00, although we were supposed to be off the site by 12.00. As usual, the Bongo's got their fair share of attention and admiration from tenters and motorhome owners alike. This never ceases to amaze me. A great weekend, and I would recommend this site to anyone. Gearing up for Stourport now, see you there!
Under ground, over ground, bongoing free!
Mike Jill and Emily

Re: a weekend at Slapton Sands.

Post by Mike Jill and Emily » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 am

Glad you had a good time at Slapton, we stayed nearby at California Cross some 14 years ago :?

It is a fantastic area to stay in and Dartmouth is just wonderful, you have me thinking that we must go back sometime =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:31 am

Spent a lovely week at the Field Studies Centre at Slapton Ley (or is it Lay?) many many years ago. A lovely spot. Must return someday 8)
rooster
Bongolier

Post by rooster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:14 am

Sounds like you had a great time. I visited Slapton for about an hour about 20 years ago! I was impressed even on that short visit. Glad the weather was so good for you.
No-one is perfect. There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 pm

We will be there over the August Bank Holiday, booking essential. They also have a planing restriction and very few caravans are allowed on site, I think 5.

Been going for about 35 years (10 years before I was born obviously) and wouldn't miss it.
violetbongojo
Bongonaut

Post by violetbongojo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 pm

I hope the weather is as good to you Bob, as it was to us. I noticed there is a restriction on the amount of caravans, but there were quite a lot of large motorhomes when we were there, which almost defeats the object. Have a lovely August Bank holiday.
Under ground, over ground, bongoing free!
Bessybongo
Bongonaut

Post by Bessybongo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 pm

Haydn is Back on Line, Dreaded Computer Died again Jo, Great weekend with the Children, good weather,good company, good Play area, Fab Microwave Ahrrrrrrrrrrrr Ahrrrrrrrrrrrr,Weekend enjoyed by all Bessybongo with a Y
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 am

violetbongojo wrote:I hope the weather is as good to you Bob, as it was to us. I noticed there is a restriction on the amount of caravans, but there were quite a lot of large motorhomes when we were there, which almost defeats the object. Have a lovely August Bank holiday.
This isn't a site rule, it is a condition of their planning permission, I can only imagine it's 'cos most people find it easier to reverse a camper in the single track roads than a caravan.

Even the A379 is single track through the villages here. Well worth the effort to visit though, thanks for your good wishes. :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:23 am

Black Horse, Clapton in Gordano. When we aske the reaction was, "You've got a Bongo, of course you can stay".

http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-bin/ ... merset:335

Between J19 & 20 M5, good for a stop off on the way.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:23 pm

What a brilliant thread! I'm going to have to re-read it a few times to absorb it all properly! :shock:

We are planning a little two week jaunt "up your way" during the first couple of weeks of august, you have given me a lot of ideas as to where to partake into my visits... Many thanks.

(re-read number 2 now... :lol: )
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:30 am

looking forward to seeing you down ere in this neck of the woods Steve, we must meet up. PM me nearer the time
The Janner Vanner

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”