Rear spoiler

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongoroy63
Bongolier

Rear spoiler

Post by bongoroy63 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:46 am

I've purchased a rear spoiler with high level brake light. So I know exactly where to the drill holes to fit it,is there a template of some description to mark out where it has to go or is it trial and error? Also, what is the best way to connect the brake light? The brake light on the spoiler has a connector on the wiring but is there wiring inside the rear door that is easy to connect to or do I have to tap into the existing brake light wiring?
I can, I do, I did.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Rear spoiler

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:07 pm

trial and not so much error im afraid mate.
the wire is a real pain to get to where it needs to go to. sorry. i ran up the drivers side rear pillar from the rear light along the roof trim then down into the wire grommet/tube that supplies the rear door , but it is a real b%$ch to get through then bring inside the top of the door through a drilled hole to connect to the light wire.

took me hours. :cry: :cry: .
good luck buddy. #-o
bongoroy63
Bongolier

Post by bongoroy63 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks for that, can't wait now!!!!
Anyone want to buy a rear spoiler!
I can, I do, I did.
Jerzy
Bongonaut

Post by Jerzy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 am

It wasn't *too* bad and there are some other useful threads on here.
Tricky bit was measuring & drilling as it goes on a curved surface and think I had to "adjust" a couple of the holes.
I'm sure I found a brake light cable in a loom where the wires enter the body in the rubber sleeve and didn't have to run one, unless I imagined it!
Here's one:
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ar+spoiler
More by searching spoil.

ps, put it on, looks great!
bongoroy63
Bongolier

Post by bongoroy63 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks feel a little better now! I did look at the link you suggested but that was for a 2000 model, mines a 97 so a bit different model and has a flat surface. I read on one of the links that they're is a double skin to get through. Is this correct? I don't want to take off all the trim inside to find another problem I wasn't expecting.
I thought this was going to be simple!!! Still want to do it though because it will look nice when it's done as you say.
I can, I do, I did.
Jerzy
Bongonaut

Post by Jerzy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Mines a 95, don't remember a double skin, just 4 holes and some bolts (the first I had were too long as they go from the inside of the door and *into* the spoiler)
The photo in this thread was one I found quite useful:
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ng+spoiler

Return to “Techie Stuff”