Top 5 must haves for bongo camping?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

vj3
Bongonaut

Re: Top 5 must haves for bomgo camping?

Post by vj3 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 pm

wine
beer
mini wok - multi usage
chairs
folding table
candles
canopy - we never use our awning
small plasic bottles from the pound shop filled with noce vinegar, olive oil etc
assam tea - v strong
crisps and nuts
more wine
fairy lights
blankets if it gets chilly outside
salt and pepper grinders from the £ shop
mustard
good coffee and mini cafe tierre and croissants for brekkie
a small one burner to cook smelly grub outside such as curry, bacon, pad thai noodles !!
big plastic bowl for salads etc
packet ainsley harriet cous cous, and ready booked sachets of rice that can be warmed up easily and 'pimped'
a thin/ lightly quilted 'throw' for hot nights when a duvet/sleeping bag is too much. i have a great one from IKea that rolls up small into a bag.

i love camp cooking !!!
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Ha ha got some cous cous Ainsley style today
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:57 pm

Probably already been said, but:

A refillable camping lighter ...has a long nozzle so you don't burn your fingers lighting the gas cooker, and better than matches outdoors
Kitchen roll - can usually just wipe a frying pan clean - saves washing up.
And yes, as someone mentioned, that spray olive oil is good, and safer than a bottle.
Black pepper grinder (addicted to fresh ground pepper!)
Bottle opener and corkscrew although most wine is screw top these days.
Proper glass tumblers for wine or G&T's - I don't like it out of plastic tho' not so much that I wouldn't drink it! Lemon for G&T.
Stainless steel thermos to keep some hot water in for later after boiling a kettle (I only have a camping stove at the moment - no kitchen unit) and anyway I rarely travel without my trusty thermos. Useful in the morning too, to have a drink without getting up before another snooze. :D
Hot water bottle in cold weather.
Couple of lightweight folding chairs and waterproof picnic rug.
Head torch for hand's free convenience, and particularly useful for trying to cross a camp site loo in the dark and avoid guy ropes. And I have some battery operated 'T' lights for 'dinner by candlelight' :P
Umbrella and wellies. (Careful when typing wellies, the forum changes the e to an i :lol: )
Wet wipes and hand sterilising gel.
Sachets of Nescafe Cappuchino - useful if milk is likely to go off in hot weather
Small tray - easier for eating on your lap, especially with paper plates.
Nice warm poncho for sitting out when it's chilly and doubles as an extra blanket.

I also liberate a few sachets of mayo, vinegar, salt, sugar etc. when the opportunity arises (and have also had some messy finds in my bag when I forgot about them :lol: ).
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
matt drastik
Bongonaut

Post by matt drastik » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:12 pm

We have a "comfort bucket", its amazing the uses you can get out of a sandcastle size bucket (quick wash out in the morning obviously!)

:lol:
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 pm

matt drastik wrote:We have a "comfort bucket", its amazing the uses you can get out of a sandcastle size bucket (quick wash out in the morning obviously!)

:lol:
Put some sand in before and after use. Would make a nice surprise for beach vandals intent on destroying the sandcastle!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:59 am

Hi
Frank...
Quote: "Put some sand in before and after use. Would make a nice surprise for beach vandals intent on destroying the sandcastle!"

That's about the best idea I've heard in years...why didn't I think of that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 am

:oops: my list would be too long, its just about the collection of everybody else's plus a set of spares hoses and belts :oops:
:idea: Spare fuse for AFT :idea:

We take a small flask, not for hot water which is quickly boiled, but for cold milk. Refill with fresh from coolbox each day. Many reasons:
  • Its a pain to keep diving into coolbox and warms it up
    Doesnt dribble or spill if knocked
    Fits in our tea/coffee/sachet rack
    Enjoy morning tea in bed (actually, need it as part of rehydration therapy) and dont want to go outside for milk from coolbox. For those with conversions, fridge is often inaccessible when bed is up
    On overnight trip we dont always bother with coolbox
It may sound obvious, but apart from the basics we vary a lot of the extras depending on the type of trip. If we are going to be living in the van its smaller chairs, very small camping table, no gas lamp, no awning etc.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:41 pm

One of these are handy from Ikea..... £9

Suction fitting to window..... and stores all sorts of things.....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am

cmm303 wrote: ...We take a small flask, not for hot water which is quickly boiled, but for cold milk. Refill with fresh from coolbox each day...
My O/H has this down to a fine art. Our milk flask is pre-cooled in the fridge and goes with us EMTY to cafes which provide a generous jug of cold milk with purchases of coffee. Amazingly there is still a significant number of places which give out far more milk than necessary. The best places have UHT pots of milk/cream as well, so they can be used instead of the jug milk.

To take away extra UHT pots of milk would be tantamount to theft but 'flasking' the poured milk is merely saving it from being wasted.

Frank
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 am

Diplomat wrote:
cmm303 wrote: ...We take a small flask, not for hot water which is quickly boiled, but for cold milk. Refill with fresh from coolbox each day...
My O/H has this down to a fine art. Our milk flask is pre-cooled in the fridge and goes with us EMTY to cafes which provide a generous jug of cold milk with purchases of coffee. Amazingly there is still a significant number of places which give out far more milk than necessary. The best places have UHT pots of milk/cream as well, so they can be used instead of the jug milk.

To take away extra UHT pots of milk would be tantamount to theft but 'flasking' the poured milk is merely saving it from being wasted.

Frank
Frank - you're a very sad person :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, clever idea!
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 pm

I did mention it was the O/H's thing!

I suppose that I could be accused of aiding and abetting and being an accessory after the fact by drinking the milk on next morning's cereals.

If they were to revive the 'Scrimpers' programme on the telly we would be on it, especially me replacing the central heating with a hair drier on low heat occasionally applied up each trouser leg.

Frank
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 pm

Diplomat wrote:especially me replacing the central heating with a hair drier on low heat occasionally applied up each trouser leg.
Frank
I don't believe I have just read that :^o :lol: :lol:

But Diplomat you did hint at an entry for the list, the better half
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 pm

I had to teach the gas suppliers not to take me for granted by introducing a daily standing charge when I don't use it between March and October. Besides, it didn't drop below 8°C indoors as the house is so well insulated!

Frank
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 pm

I take what I thought was a fairly extensive list of tools and emergency bongo bits until I read the spare fuse for the aft! Nice idea! tho I do carry a spare speed sensor...odd I know, but didn't need it in the end and its small so just sits there waiting for its moment !

Alcohol gel For the hands

We also always carry sambucca...our favourite tipple for inclement weather.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Park up next to a motorhome that is your friend lol

Jo xx

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”