Top 5 must haves for bongo camping?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

al & chris
Tribal Elder

Re: Top 5 must haves for bomgo camping?

Post by al & chris » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Fiamma wind out awning. Expensive but brilliant wish we had got sooner.
Compressor fridge. We have waeco cf 35 big enough for beers and a bit of food.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:49 pm

al & chris wrote:Fiamma wind out awning. Expensive but brilliant wish we had got sooner.
Compressor fridge. We have waeco cf 35 big enough for beers and a bit of food.
Oh yes would second that, Waeco CF35 is brilliant. I thought it would never work so the first couple of times I kept setting it too low and freezing all our food! When the slider says freeze it means freeze, not like the Halford cool boxes which just mean slightly colder than outside!

We combined this with one of Dodgey's dual battery solar kits. The solar kit allows a family of 5 with all their electronic gadgets to charge them and run the fridge, and lights in the evening for 5 days without turning the engine on once (we did this on a camping trip in Wales in less than perfect sunshine)
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:13 pm

hiya.

I personally use the light my fire stuff. I bought two meal kit 2.0 sets and they are brilliant.
We have four of the packable cups which sit inside the two boxes and it contains a chopping board as well.

I can't give you a link as I am on my phone but it is on amazon or the light my fire website. They did cost about £15 each.

They are quite space-saving and quite useful in the bongo I think.

Erm.... another suggestion would be a spare registration plate or something as a reserved pitch indicator.
:D
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Sorry, it won't let me edit my post above.

my 5 essentials for bongo camping:

1) Light my fire meal kit sets. We have two of these which allows us to serve four (we bought two extra cups).
http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/pro ... it-20.aspx
:D

2) Our camping pan set. I imagine people will moan that the frying pan isn't big enough but this is what we use.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Trekk ... ng+pan+set
:wink:

3) Spare registration plate or some kind of pitch identifier to make sure no-one takes your pitch whilst you are out exploring.

4) Being cheeky, I highly recommend a solar panel. One of my friends from another forum built one for me and has this handy guide teaching people how to make one. It trickle charges your leisure battery which means you can keep all your electronics (mobile phone, etc) charged up whilst wild camping but it won't power your fridge which is a shame when we are away festivalling.
:(

5) A camera!!!! We all like to see pictures of our bongos in front of pretty or interesting stuff.

My Dad suggests a sense of humour and a close companion. OH suggests a "comfort bottle".
:lol:

This is the solar panel guide for anyone who wants it:
http://www.brightideasnewcastle.co.uk/a ... s-V1.0.pdf
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:33 am

stewby wrote: My Dad suggests a sense of humour and a close companion. OH suggests a "comfort bottle".
Doesn't have to be 'Comfort'.

Any fabric conditioner container will do as long as the opening is wide enough.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 am

There was me thinking stewby meant a bottle of single malt #-o
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 am

Hahahaha., no Muz. Not a bottle of whisky although OH will probably change his answer to that now.

You are quite right Diplomat, it doesn't have to be the comfort brand. We just like the double meaning of calling it a comfort bottle.
:P
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:05 am

stewby wrote:
You are quite right Diplomat, it doesn't have to be the comfort brand. We just like the double meaning of calling it a comfort bottle.
:P
Likewise!

That's the beauty of 'in jokes'. Just think how many Comfort users there must be who don't go camping and would never even think of it.

Frank
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:08 pm

I have ordered the most important things first. 24 multi-coloured "safe" LED tea lights. =D>

Great suggestions.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:18 pm

So baguettes with omlette and salami keep ok and won't give you food poisoning next day. I think I might buy some salami sticks.

By the way I am spoilt in that our bongo has full side conversion with sink, twin gas hob and fridge/cooler built in and a sliding table.

Getting excited will be going to some festivals later on.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am

Hi
Two day-old pizza never gave anyone food poisoning, so try that if you're worried :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Many a good party has had me food foraging for leftovers with an attack of the munchies in the morning....but I guess that food poisoning is a latterday thing...we never had it in the '60s. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:58 am

helen&tony wrote:.... I guess that food poisoning is a latterday thing...we never had it in the '60s. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
I guess you've forgotten about the sudden decline in the popularity of corned beef?

Frank
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

...or John West salmon :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi
Ah, yes...Tinned Typhoid...I just love the stuff...and as for tinned fish....mmmm...I haven't eaten fish for 30- 40, years, as, unfortunately, I'm allergic....and developed other food allergies along the way, sad to say!
Oooohhh...I must remember to order some tinned typhoid ...lovely with a good dollop of picallilli....I had some picallilli opened for Boxing day dinner...still in the fridge...I tried it last week...not lost a lot of it's flavour....oh, and it went well with home-made bread!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
vj3
Bongonaut

Post by vj3 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 pm

wine
beer
mini wok - multi usage
chairs
folding table
candles
canopy - we never use our awning
small plasic bottles from the pound shop filled with noce vinegar, olive oil etc
assam tea - v strong
crisps and nuts
more wine
fairy lights
blankets if it gets chilly outside
salt and pepper grinders from the £ shop
mustard
good coffee and mini cafe tierre and croissants for brekkie
a small one burner to cook smelly grub outside such as curry, bacon, pad thai noodles !!
big plastic bowl for salads etc
packet ainsley harriet cous cous, and ready booked sachets of rice that can be warmed up easily and 'pimped'
a thin/ lightly quilted 'throw' for hot nights when a duvet/sleeping bag is too much. i have a great one from IKea that rolls up small into a bag.

i love camp cooking !!!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”