Ignition starting problem / starter motor ??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

aintgotabongo
Bongonaut

Ignition starting problem / starter motor ??

Post by aintgotabongo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi not looked in, in a while, forgot my password, I had a new battery fitted at Xmas in my M reg 2.5 ltr 2 wheel dr bongo, and a few weeks later when trying to start the motor, there was nothing power wise, there was a click but not the normal sounding click when your starter motor is goosed, in frustration I turned the key a couple of times in anger and it started, it did this for two days, then just started as normal, now 6 weeks on its done it again yesterday and today, I called in where the Bat was fitted and there was a loose connection on the battery..... problem solved well for a minute anyway, then back to the quick turn of the key to start up,
They said it could be the SM or it could be sticking, Price quoted is £210 plus VAT, is that OTT :?:

Seems odd how it did it way back in the new year, then ok till now, anyone any ideas if it could be anything else like a electrical problem, and would it be possible to get a recon fitted anywhere, or wait a few days and see if it heals itself :lol:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Ignition starting problem / starter motor ??

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:59 pm

A common easy fix problem are the starter solenoid contacts ..

http://www.nipponautoparts.com/startercontacts.htm
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:08 pm

aintgotabongo
Bongonaut

Post by aintgotabongo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate that

Now to convince the garage I bought it from to try this route 1st, I got my battery from Alba Tyres, but got my motor from a importers
The 1st re Alba, id doubt would even try that route as all National Cos opt for the new route instead of trying other options 1st

Il have a word with the importers and see what they say, saying that I used to have a pajero, and when I confronted the chief idiot mechanic about it, saying on the Mitzi forum they said it sounds like a transmission oil problem, all he could say was they don't know what there talking about on the forums :roll: and it sounded like I would need a new gearbox, amazing what a couple of litres saved me and solved the problem as said!

I dare not attempt to do it myself as im not mechanical material #-o

Any pointers to any garages round the Leeds area that could do this might be of help if anyone has any recomendations, should I need to look further afield

Cheers again, think I need to change my username :lol: but that's another story I aired a few years back
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:44 pm

if its a normal non winter pack bongo (no switch with an engine symbol on it next to your right knee on the lower dash), and you get the kit as shown in the link above, come over the border to east lancashire and i will do it in an hour or two.
aintgotabongo
Bongonaut

Post by aintgotabongo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:if its a normal non winter pack bongo (no switch with an engine symbol on it next to your right knee on the lower dash), and you get the kit as shown in the link above, come over the border to east lancashire and i will do it in an hour or two.
Il have a peek in the morning, tis pitch black out there now :wink: ta much for the offer as well =D>
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 pm

no worries. :)
aintgotabongo
Bongonaut

Post by aintgotabongo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:if its a normal non winter pack bongo (no switch with an engine symbol on it next to your right knee on the lower dash), and you get the kit as shown in the link above, come over the border to east lancashire and i will do it in an hour or two.
Sorted, no switch there, ordered parts tonight, delivery expected Wed / Thurs this week, will drop you a pm and many thanks once again :-D
TonyW
Bongonaut

Post by TonyW » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Once again it appears this forum has come to the rescue again ..... this is the same issue we have with our N reg Bongo. So, will follow these instructions.

Being a non-mechanical type (but willing to learn) is it straight forward to take the starter motor off?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:45 pm

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
TonyW
Bongonaut

Post by TonyW » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks Mike!
aintgotabongo
Bongonaut

Post by aintgotabongo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Very big thank you to Ady [Northern Bongolow] for sorting me out today, only had the motor just short of 3 years and was never told there was another access point to the engine under the drivers seat :oops:
Anyway Ady went to work on it cursing a bit at times as the bolts were a tad tight :lol: just over a hour later, all sorted and firing up like a good`un,
Brilliant job matey, well chuffed as id never of managed that im sure, great to meet up with you and your family, pictures of worn parts photographed as promised =D>

aintgotabongo
Bongonaut

Post by aintgotabongo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:40 am

Tother end

TonyW
Bongonaut

Post by TonyW » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:47 pm

MANY thanks to all above as I too have just done this fix and it's sorted the problem!

Agree with 'aintgotabongo' as the three nuts holding the started motor on were flamin tight and had to borrow my neighbours long handled socket spanner but one the motor was off .... the rest was easy and without the 30mins spent sweating/grunting/going purple to get the SM nuts off ..... job done in about an hour.

Worn parts looked exactly as the pics above and no need to wire brush the plunger as in the kit bought from ebay, you get a new plunger.

Another big success story for this forum, its members and also the links above including the youtube vid.

:D :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”