More info on ABS light please.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sirclugs
Apprentice Bongonaut

More info on ABS light please.

Post by sirclugs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 am

I've done a lot of searching of the fora for info about ABS warning light staying on. An autoelectrician with a very large box of tricks tells me that there are no fault codes displaying and everything indicates correct, but my ABS light stayed resolutely on. He has wired it up temporarily to go out when engine starts to satisfy MOT requirements. However does anybody have any clues how to correct this properly or know a good Bongo electrician in the Milton Keynes area please?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: More info on ABS light please.

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am

Its driven directly from the ABS computer, only other connection is to the diagnostic connector (diagram connector 74);

So it can really only be down to replacing the ABS module or repairing the board itself. Possibly get a spare one from a breakers, like http://www.bongospares.co.uk/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Initially my ABS light was not not coming on at all .. On checking I found bulb had been removed ..

Replaced the bulb to find it came on for a couple of seconds .. went out .. came back on then stayed on continuously ..

After checking various 'maybe it's' ... more by luck than judgement I found a lose multi plug connector by the coolant filler / reservoir ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Do you know if the ABS is actually working? Only way I know to test it safely is to slam on the brakes on some damp grass. Go for a late night spin over the local golf course or lawn bowling club :).
sirclugs
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by sirclugs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:08 pm

I'll take it out and try wee skids on the cricket square.
Do those two electrical connectors go to two further connectors way down the back near the bulkhead, and is that where the ABS unit is. Its rather difficult to reach.
Does the electronic bit come off the pump unit or is it all one? To save swopping all the hydraulic connections and thus all the bleeding.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:39 pm

It is quite easy and only a five minute job to remove the heater unit from under the bonnet ..

This makes for relatively easy access to the ABS unit / wires / plugs ..

My dodgy plug was by the coolant tank ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
sirclugs
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by sirclugs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Mike, many thanks. Took a little bit more than 5 mins, I have a leisure battery fitted and the plug and cable that goes thru to the footwell was tricky. So checked all the connectors, now to take it for a spin and try out the wee skiddies to see if ABS functions. Cheers guys.
Nibs
Bongolier

Post by Nibs » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) Hi dont know if this helps but I had a problem about 6 years ago when ABS light would come on, sometimes stay on, sometimes intermitent, contacted forum and was told wiring behind dash badly insulated. Took off instrument cowel unplugged wires cleaned it all up put it back together and presto problem solved. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Nibs

Return to “Techie Stuff”