dashboard squeak, driving me nuts

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Furydav
Bongolier

dashboard squeak, driving me nuts

Post by Furydav » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 pm

It's squawking like a bast@@@ demented chicken when I go on rough roads or over a bump / pot hole. I got so fed up today I could have thumped the dash with a blunt object. It's the drivers side and stops if I apply forward pressure with a finger in the area of the offside heater vent! I've wedged paper, pieces of sponge etc between side of the dash and the pillar makes no odds squeak squawk , driving me nuts. Any ideas? Please before I go mad
stuc
Supreme Being

Re: dashboard squeak, driving me nuts

Post by stuc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Mine seems to do the same, no help I know but just so you know your not alone.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 pm

open the drivers door then pull off the dashboard end panel with the vent hole in it, all will become clear,you will see the mounting nuts.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:09 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:open the drivers door then pull off the dashboard end panel with the vent hole in it, all will become clear,you will see the mounting nuts.
Release us from our suspense Ady :lol:

I have developed the same squeak, usually in hotter weather. With little spare time, is there a quick fix?

I also have a rattle in my door that will need tracing!
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 am

Thank the Lord, I am not alone !! Exact same racket, mainly coming from the engine heater logo button thingy by my right knee: tried everything, wedges of this that or the other. Was on the verge of taking Bongy to the cliffs for a swift descent to put an end to it all.

Derek
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am

I bought a packet of self adhesive foam pads from Tesco Yellow "Keep it Handy" range and put two of the big square ones (stacked)on each dashboard end. they deform slightly when the door shuts against them and more or less stop the noise. I think it might be symptomatic of some slight give in the suspension, maybe not enough to fail an MOT, just not 100%.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 am

Hi
Thanks, Ady...It's a job I keep thinking about doing!...unfortunately my forgettory ensures that it's not done
And...yes...to all the other Bongo Squeakers...."You're not alone"....ooohhh, that phrase always reminds me of a cheap'n'nasty sci-fi, as they tell us of life on other planets.....OOOOoooohhhhh...."you're not alone".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Yep another one, mine does the same thing. My window in the sliding door also rattles on idle, driving me potty in traffic as I can't even reach it to shut it up. Ive tried adjusting but there isn't any to be had. I might have to replace the window rubber, even though it looks in perfect nick.

I can deal with rattles from a car 15 years old, as long as I can drown them out with the radio! The window one is too loud for this solution though!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Mine needing doing 3 yrs ago..... no one else had said owt....so I never said anything....... yer nuts need a tighten or could be missing....like mine...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 pm

roosmith wrote:Yep another one, mine does the same thing. My window in the sliding door also rattles on idle, driving me potty in traffic as I can't even reach it to shut it up. Ive tried adjusting but there isn't any to be had.

I've the same prob with my side door window.

Nice to know our Bongo's are intune with each other :lol:
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:58 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Northern Bongolow wrote:open the drivers door then pull off the dashboard end panel with the vent hole in it, all will become clear,you will see the mounting nuts.

I have developed the same squeak, usually in hotter weather. With little spare time, is there a quick fix?

the end caps of the dash pull off then you will see the dash mounting brackets put some locktite on em and tighten them up,there are some in the centre of the dash too.

is the rattle in the drivers door mike, if yes it maybe the remote central locking Ariel wire thats hanging from the receiver unit, even though you may not have a fob it maybe there. its glued to the inner door skin next to the window switch. bit of sticky tape sorts it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

the end caps of the dash pull off then you will see the dash mounting brackets put some locktite on em and tighten them up,there are some in the centre of the dash too.

is the rattle in the drivers door mike, if yes it maybe the remote central locking Ariel wire thats hanging from the receiver unit, even though you may not have a fob it maybe there. its glued to the inner door skin next to the window switch. bit of sticky tape sorts it.
Brilliant Ady - you've given me hope :-)

Blimey but its amazing how many are coming out on this one! :lol:
eppiblue
Bongolier

Post by eppiblue » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Ha, been having this exact issue lately in hot weather (france)
'Vincent' - 1996 P reg - Green - 2.5 TD - 4WD - Likes: Diesel, Bitumen and Snow.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I too have a similar problem..when I corner or go around roundabouts its as if something on the dashboard slides from one end to another but I keep nowt on there. Whatever it is is under the dash but can't be arsed to take a look, just turn the tunes up!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Ha ha, after months of thumping, padding , applying pieces of sponge all over the place, bits of cardboard and lots of new swear words, ive finally cracked it.

behind the fuse box there is a small soooooooooooo inaccessible screw which can only be reached if your a contortionist . After a bit of grappling about with a small dumpy scrwewdriver and twisting my right hand back on its self ive manged to apply 1/4 turn to tighten it.

No more squeak even on the most bumpy terrain i could find.

Now just need to locate a squeak from the engine :mrgreen:

Return to “Techie Stuff”