Breakdown cover for the over sixteens

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

windywatson
Tribal Elder

Re: Breakdown cover for the over sixteens

Post by windywatson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi,

I have the amswer to breakdown cover that gives you cover irespective of vehicle age.

Join "GEM" they cover you not the vehicle you drive. I needed a break down cover like this because I wanted cover for both of my Bongos, my partners car & my motorcycle.
They also give you legal assistance cover as part of the breakdown service, so I've saved money on 3 insurance policies by canceling legal cover which is usually £15 to £20 per policy.

And I have unfortunatly had cause to use thier services recently. I was towing my teardrop caravan to holiday in cornwall when a wheel bearing on the caravan failed. Called them to see if they could help as it wasn't the Bongo that had broken down but what I was towing. No problems they recovered the Tear drop back home for me as they also cover anything that you are towing.
I have also broken down twice on my motorbike recently & both times recovered without any problems.
You don't have to even be the driver of the vehicle, they will assist with breakdowns/recovery of vehicles that you are a passenger in.

They aren't as cheap (about £80 I think) as some out there. But bearing in mind that you can use them for your legal cover to help with your vehicle insurance claims & save you buying that on your vehicle policies it makes them very competative.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
PinkPanther
Bongonaut

Post by PinkPanther » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:57 pm

I am with the RAC - just had a chat about adding my trailer for a summer holiday to France (it is covered in the UK) and the very kind lady advised me to join the Caravan Club and then do a corporate RAC membership next time around. You get the trailer automatically covered, in its own right, not just as part of the vehicle recovery cover and you get a 10% discount on the membership renewal which was about £265 any vehicle cover for me with European assistance
Asda Bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Asda Bongo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Just went with the Green Insurance Company. I wanted european cover. £99.00 (beats the big boys by between 60 and £160) UK cover was £59.00. For £19.95 I get personal cover so I can cancel my other car cover. An extra £9.95 got me Key cover. Having lost my key for the first time in 25 years maybe it is worth the money. It was a huge pain getting the replacement. I will probably never need it, but unlike electrical product insurance where it is often cheaper to buy the latest version anyway, this is not an option for your tried and tested and much loved Bongo. (I even swore at her even though it wasn't her fault)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Velocette wrote:
David Edwards wrote:I am with the R.A.C and... they even have my bongo covered on a damn fine warranty which gives me five claims a year up to 500 quid each claim, 75 quid a year, well chuffed.
I have that warranty and they payed out no problem when my head gasket went, much to the surprise of ADS who have had murder dealing with some warranty companies. (Car has to be recovered by RAC to claim on the warranty)

I have that 5 breakdowns and £500 policy but with the AA
They had no probs when I changed it from a 21 years old landrover to my 16 year old bongo
Wouldn't be with out it now
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Insurance”