Breakdown cover for the over sixteens

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

tezzer22
Bongolier

Breakdown cover for the over sixteens

Post by tezzer22 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi my breakdown cover is due for renewal soon and my present provider has a 16 year limit as do many others, so apart from aa and rac are there any others that will cover a elderly bongo?
c1rider
Bongonaut

Re: Breakdown cover for the over sixteens

Post by c1rider » Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm with National Breakdown who didn't query the age and have always been very good dealing with various breakdowns with my race van over the past few years
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue May 28, 2013 8:18 pm

I am with the R.A.C and... they even have my bongo covered on a damn fine warranty which gives me five claims a year up to 500 quid each claim, 75 quid a year, well chuffed.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed May 29, 2013 6:33 am

Mines on aclassic insurance policy with Pete Best Insurance and this includes recovery.
Wealso have AA cover so covered with both
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 am

I've got a standard Direct Line (Green Flag re badged) recovery policy and am going over to Belgium in August in my N reg Bongo.
Had a read of the small print and looks like in the UK I'm covered but abroad 16 years+ isnt :(
Can you buy cover for just the time abroad? Are other providers better for cover overseas in 16 year+ vehicles?
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Wed May 29, 2013 12:32 pm

David Edwards wrote:I am with the R.A.C and... they even have my bongo covered on a damn fine warranty which gives me five claims a year up to 500 quid each claim, 75 quid a year, well chuffed.
I have that warranty and they payed out no problem when my head gasket went, much to the surprise of ADS who have had murder dealing with some warranty companies. (Car has to be recovered by RAC to claim on the warranty)
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
afws
Junior Bongonaut

Post by afws » Wed May 29, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm with Safeguard & have been over the last 3 years. Used the recovery 3 times so far, twice in the UK and once in Germany. Great service from them. German breakdown picked up after around 30 minutes and fixed two hours later.
Not all who wander are lost.
corrour
Bongolier

Post by corrour » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm

If you take the AA personal cover its the driver covered no matter what you are driving
Not the vehicle
:D :D :D
I would walk 500 miles.
99 Tinted tintop
Supplied and looked after by Bongospares
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 pm

The 16 year thing tends to apply to European breakdown cover rather than UK. A quick skim of the AA European policy doc didn't show up any age restrictions, but not had chance to read all the details:

http://www.theaa.com/resources/Document ... urrent.pdf
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 am

RAC paid out no quibble either on my engine, very pleased with em,.
PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Post by PisceanJoy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:21 am

I am with Brittania rescue And they will bring you back if you are to ill or injured to drive Hauled me and car from IOW to Ipswich when I had flu And Kent to brighton with Bongo when had sprained ankle too badly to drive
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Just been trying confused.com and now I am :lol: :evil:

RAC does not seem to appear on there for a 15+ yr old vehicle, can't see Britannia either, though AA are there. The Green Insurance Company, Kwikfit, Rescuemycar seems to have top end(ish) packages at £100-120 roughly. ETA figure in the mid-range (around £80) and Rescuemycar dominate the cheap basic package end with packages between £18-30.

I can't immediately spot Davids RAC engine warranty package. In short, I'm www.effingconfusedandirritated.com and think I must turn to www.bongofurywillnotconfuseyou.com, the place where people live as opposed to the slithery Wereheretohelpyou snake.

Anybody able to help a weary old man get sensible value for money cover.

Thanks++ as ever.

Mike 8-[
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:08 pm

I am with RAC and my bongo is 17 years old now. However because I drive my husbands car too I have the policy that covers me rather than the vehicle. Had it last year for a trip to France too and they've never questioned the age of any vehicle.
Looked at the AA too, but their european cover for 2 weeks on top of the normal UK annual policy worked out quite a lot more expensive than a whole years european cover with the RAC.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 pm

janie wrote:I am with RAC and my bongo is 17 years old now. However because I drive my husbands car too I have the policy that covers me rather than the vehicle. Had it last year for a trip to France too and they've never questioned the age of any vehicle.
Looked at the AA too, but their european cover for 2 weeks on top of the normal UK annual policy worked out quite a lot more expensive than a whole years european cover with the RAC.
Cheers Janie. Roughly what are you paying (the RAC site seemed to be doing the new members discount thing but even with that it was about £140 once the necessary bits were added on - and I'm an existing member albeit that it was with my wife when we were married).
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I had my renewal through the other week and it was£140 (they must have been giving me the same discout as new members because they made a point of telling me that 'my premium was staying the same').

Hope it's helpful and have a good trip.

Return to “Insurance”