South Links Caravan Park, Montrose

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

cujimio
Bongonaut

South Links Caravan Park, Montrose

Post by cujimio » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 pm

:evil: Just thought I would post a wee warning (and rant!) to folk about this site. :evil:

Lovely as it is, we were totally ripped off there the other month.

Wanted to stay at a site close to home as it was our first time at pitching the awning properly and staying in the van with all the gear required so we decided on Montrose as its near the beach and near the town. Anyway, we paid the normal price for a van with awning & electric - or so we thought!

Three nights and a collapsed awning later (new one since purchased!), we went to leave. When handing back the toilet block key, they advised me that they forgot to charge for the "tent". Thinking it was the £3 per night charge for the awning I went into the office - only to be told it was an additional £42!!!

They refused to accept that the awning was an awning and classed it as a tent (the poles had snapped so we couldn't attach it to the van), they also refused to accept that if I was paying for a tent then the van was not a motorhome, but my car (its unconverted).

Would not let me leave until paid. I know I should of stood my ground but there was three of them all saying the same thing!

A complaint has since been emailed, twice, to which I have had no response or refund. It has now been sent in writing, signed for - so I know they get it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short - DO NOT GO TO MONTROSE!!!

Sharon
Sharon & Jimi

Laughing is good exercise, it's like jogging on the inside! :-) ;-)
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: South Links Caravan Park, Montrose

Post by the laird » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

After reading about the raw and dreadfull treatment you've received we most certainly won't be visiting this site,our whole family were thinking on this site this summer but not now!!!
I hope you have gave them the forum site address Southey can read this
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info on this site, it's a good looking site in a good location and it was on the radar for a future bongo meet, not now that Gordon "the Laird" knows about your problem. What are these people playing at, for the sake of £42 they may have lost a few hundred quid in future bongo visits. Plenty of other good sites on the East coast of Scotland,
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 am

It's never good to here of anyone having a bad experience at a campsite. We stayed at that site last year for a Saturday night as Mrs G was doing a stock count at their Montrose facility on the Saturday. We didn't have any issues but then we didn't bother taking the popup tent with us that time. Your experience would make me avoid going back there with the popup.

On a postive note if you ever need a campsite close to home to try anything out then have a look at the site in Johnshaven. Have stayed there a couple of times without any problems and the hotel up the road does good food.
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier

Return to “Campsites”