Leisure Battery setup

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

lespes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Leisure Battery setup

Post by lespes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi,

First post and pretty new to all things Bongo, so please be gentle :)

Have a Diesel yr 2000 Bongo which has 2 batterries fitted.

It would appear that they are the Japanese cold weather spec fitment

The main battery is a 72 amp and the backup an 85amp which now after removing have found to be a lesiure battery.

I have bought a new made up loom to connect the lesiure battery to the fuse box and a seperate kit to charge and isolate the leisure battery so radio and sockets run direct from the leisure battery.

However cannot figure out how best to disconnect old wiring to leisure battery from main battery to stop main battery being discharged, but ensuring everything else will still work!

Finally will main battery need to be upgraded to something a little more meaty say 85-95 aph
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure Battery setup

Post by briwy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Unless it's been altered before the two batteries are simply linked with a large cable, positive to positive.
Ours was modified by the importer when we bought it but the connecting cable is still there, insulated and just not connected at the LB end. Could be handy if the main battery ever goes flat and then it could used to jump from the leisure battery.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 pm

lespes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lespes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks for battery link will order tommorrow

Not sure if wiring has been changed on mine.
Have two pos wires coming off lesiure batt 1 seems to run into passenger side and along floor running down where jack is stored a nd on to rear somewhere have ot traced where or what it does yet.

Other lead runs towards main battery and then joins into cabling that comes off pos main battery terminal will try to post photo when I work out how
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am

lespes wrote:Thanks for battery link will order tommorrow

Not sure if wiring has been changed on mine.
Have two pos wires coming off lesiure batt 1 seems to run into passenger side and along floor running down where jack is stored a nd on to rear somewhere have ot traced where or what it does yet.

Other lead runs towards main battery and then joins into cabling that comes off pos main battery terminal will try to post photo when I work out how
The one going off to the back is probably for the rear 12V socket. I ran mine as a pair though rather than just a positive which I think is supposed to be better practice. It should be fused where it comes off the LB.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
lespes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by lespes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Wire has 20 amp fuse in from lesiure battery. I thought it was for rear socket but only worked on key.

Have now disconnected and cannot see that anything is not working, yet :?

Just need some battery terinal connectors now to connect in split charge relay, radio and sockets now working soley off lesiure battery.

New main battery should arrive tommorrow
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 pm

I've seen plenty of examples where a LB live is run to where an amplifier or cd changer used to be, and the wire gets tucked away and left there as the seller doesn't want the hassle of removing it.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”