Some help with 12volt electrics please.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

2newbies
Bongolier

Some help with 12volt electrics please.

Post by 2newbies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi everyone.....My new willinton leisure battery kit has just arrived,can't wait to fit it .....but what i was wondering is can i use it to power some extra goodies....additional lights.extra sockets etc.and if so...how..
thanks...Paul and claire
Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: Some help with 12volt electrics please.

Post by Velocette » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:17 pm

2newbies wrote:Hi everyone.....My new willinton leisure battery kit has just arrived,can't wait to fit it .....but what i was wondering is can i use it to power some extra goodies....additional lights.extra sockets etc.and if so...how..
thanks...Paul and claire
Personally I would use the fusebox of the Willinton kit to transfer existing circuits currently on the starter battery and run new circuits directly to the leisure battery for asnything you install 100% from scratch. That is what I have done anyway, others may have different views.

There are 1001 ways of wiring everything up, things to watch are cable sizes
overload protection (fusing)physical protection and security but above all conductor cross section in relation to expected load and length of run especially for heavy loads like fridges.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Provided you have ordered the wiring loom part of the kits covering all the existing sockets are covered.
If you want to add additional sockets then that will need extra wiring of course and can be brought back to extra fuse blocks as required.
If you have a conversion then you may well have additional circuits in place
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
2newbies
Bongolier

Post by 2newbies » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi, Thanks for the replies,I am now going to to run a 30amp fused cable to the cp3 zig directly from the leisure battery,,,but am now wondering whether I should run a neg. cable from the LB to the Zig as well....cheers Paul
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi,

No need to run a seperate negative cable all of the way from the LB to the Zig. The LB should have the negative side connected to the vehicle chassis as the vehicle is negative earth, all you need to do is take a suitable cable from the negative of the zig and connect this to the chassis adjacent to where you install the Zig. You do need to ensure that the connection to chassis is good, cleaning off any paint down to bare metal.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm

And also that all the joints between metal work between attachment points are good!
I must admit I have always run the -ve return via my own cable as well as using the chassis, as it helps with noise problems on radio and audio equipment, which can be a bugger to track down :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
2newbies
Bongolier

Post by 2newbies » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi....Thanks for that.....that makes it a lot clearer.....thanks again.....Paul
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Why 30 amp fuse - I would hope that you haven't an accessory capable of that type of draw as you are into serious problems - most camp sites are 5 to 10 amp!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm

20 or 30A is about right for connecting to a leisure battery to a charger.

Jim, bear in mind that a 5 or 10A mains supply is a completely different beast when it comes to 12V. A 240V kettle draws about 12.5A (assuming 1500 Watt element). The fuse in a Bongo to run a pair of electric blinds is 10A, but you can't compare the power consumption of two small 12V motors with a 240V kettle, even though they use a similar rated fuse.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”