caravan sites near manchester - wanted please.

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

stewby
Bongolier

caravan sites near manchester - wanted please.

Post by stewby » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 am

hi there.

we are planning to go to manchester for a few days in either late april or early may and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good camp site for u to park up the bongo.

i am currently in two minds. google maps shows it as taking about 6 hours from banchory ot manchester so the plan is either:

to travel staight down, stop at appleby on the way back or stop at appleby on the way down and come straight back up.

my main priorities in a campsite (the bonuses, shall we call them) is that:
* i would like a bus or some sort of way to get into the middle of manchester without taking the bongo. i have had... erm... previous issues with multi-storey car parks and the bongo so would rather not repeat them.
* a pub within a miles walk so that neil can have a few beers and we could maybe have a pub lunch or something.
* we prefer smaller, less busy campsites that are pretty. i don't know how possible that is but we managed to find a nice one in edinburgh which felt secluded whilst still being busy. so that's what i am hoping for.

any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received. thank you in advance.
:D
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: caravan sites near manchester - wanted please.

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 am

That's a tough one, depends how close to the centre you need to be. Assuming you don't need to be very close I'd recommend somewhere like this... http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclu ... 4&pgrf=map ....and get the bus into the centre of town although you may have a bit of a walk and need two buses.

Failing that, somewhere like this... http://www.peaksandplains.co.uk/directo ... mping-site :wink:

If you're really struggling, I know a very exclusive site only a couple of miles from the city centre, right on the 219 bus route, but it'll cost you a haggis :wink: :D
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:39 am

that elm beds place looks amazing. thank you so much.

might even be a haggis in it for you anyways. thank you for the suggestion, i haven't been able to find anywhere (but then i don't really know manchester and my usual site wasn't very helpful).

thanks again.
:D
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am

Muzorewa wrote:That's a tough one, depends how close to the centre you need to be. Assuming you don't need to be very close I'd recommend somewhere like this... http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclu ... 4&pgrf=map ....and get the bus into the centre of town although you may have a bit of a walk and need two buses.

Failing that, somewhere like this... http://www.peaksandplains.co.uk/directo ... mping-site :wink:

If you're really struggling, I know a very exclusive site only a couple of miles from the city centre, right on the 219 bus route, but it'll cost you a haggis :wink: :D

Reading between the lines,if thats where I think it is,you might even get a masterclass on cooking a haggis in a Bongo :wink:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

i have been noseying at muz's pictures and have already asked him what he cooks on. i love the versatility of his tagine. (i thought it was a charcoal bbq). however, i don't quite think we will be going down the route of spam fritters just yet.
:wink:

might be a bit too advanced for us seeing as this is what we did to skinless sausages.

:P
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

That is indeed a sad barbecue - almost a contender for "Saddest barbecue of the year award" which was won in 2008 by this effort: :lol:

....and they were veggie sausages, so not too disastrous :D
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:00 pm

ah, now we did have some lovely burgers which were well-cooked beforehand. it was just the skinless sausages which went a bit wrong.

yours ended up on the floor. at least it means you got an extra bit of greenery. it's good for your health.
:wink:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:02 pm

They weren't ours, you don't seriously think we'd publicise our own disasters do you? :lol: :lol:
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

why not?? there's no shame in disasters. as long as you learn from them and get some great memories.

Return to “Campsites”