Awnings??

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

markov1723
Bongolier

Awnings??

Post by markov1723 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello and happy new year!
We are getting an awning with money given to us for giftmas and seem to be looking at either the 2012 Royal Traveller, the 2011 Navigator and possibly the Sebring.. though our other road car was a Sebring (really poor) which puts us off a bit

Any advice or pointers?
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Re: Awnings??

Post by mountainmummy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Happy new year to you too.

We had a royal traveller awning but only used it once. It was huge, really heavy and we found it quite hard to put up. We sold and bought a base seconds 4.1 pop up tent instead. We've also bought a nice outwell tent for longer trips. We decided we didn't actually need our extra space to be attached to the van.

Good luck with your search.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 am

I always thought those Chrysler Sebrings looked ok, maybe they're horrible to drive but they look ok :D

It depends what kind of camping you're thinking and how much space you think you need. For one or two nights I personally wouldn't be bothered with a big driveaway awning but if you're going to be set up for a few days then they're definitely worth it. As has been said they take up a fair chunk of space and they're heavy, and you'd struggle to deploy it on your own whereas some of the pop-up type 'awnings' (they're not really awnings at all) are quick & easy to put up but smaller.

There's several Royal Travellers, some tunnel ones and one that looks like a Wendy-house, for want of a better description. We use a Traveller tunnel but have only used it three times in five years, although each time it was brilliant - For most of our Bongoing we're always on the move so just use a pull-out.

If you want to try a Traveller tunnel before you buy anything, you're welcome to borrow ours. Then you'll at least have a good idea how much space, weight etc they are and how easy or difficult they are to put up, and what kind of space you're getting. And how much space you need when you get home to dry it out....

markov1723
Bongolier

Post by markov1723 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks Sara & Muz, fab offer!

We have been using a pop up 2 person since getting the Bongo and with 4 year old daughters stuff she has to take on holiday increasing each time we get in the van plus our knack of breaking weather locally etc just put us onto the awning idea.. that and our mates with a Delica had one that made things really easy for them ;)

I do a load of gourmet stuff when on the road/camping as well so I take up loads of space too not just kids stuff lol

Its a Royal traveller 4 we are looking at, supposedly light weight ;-)

Ps on the Sebring front, yeah they look nice..we had a 58 plate so had the crazy ridges on the bonnet like the Crossfire. Was a nice drive, plenty of oomph from the passat engine and the sound system was lovely (im a geek like that) but the overall experiance was bobbins..turbo tube failed 5-6 times in 12 months, which wasnt great when zipping along the motorway at 70 (ahem), the build discs were crappy and inside it was a bit too grey.
Rebiam
Bongolier

Post by Rebiam » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 am

Hi - we have a Khyam driveaway awning which we use for longer stays but it might be a little big for a quick one nighter. It served us very well last summer when it was soooo wet. We really needed the space to get all the wet weather stuff dry overnight ready to be soaked again the next day :lol: :lol:

'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 pm

I've got a Royal Traveller but wouldn't even consider using it unless on site for four or five days. Huge amount of space and an extra bedroom compartment if you need it. With the wet weather last year, it was great to have somewhere to hang the wet togs

Not the easiest tent to put up but then again probably not much more of a problem than any other of similar size. Stood up to the worst of last years summer so must be waterproof. Can't remember how much I paid but I seem to remember it was middle of the road price wise.
Ian65
Bongonaut

Post by Ian65 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 pm

We bought an outwell country road, top bit of kit. Goes up in about 30 min. Would defiantly recommend, but shop around the missus saved £100 by searching the net
surfbus78
Bongonaut

Post by surfbus78 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Rebiam wrote:Hi - we have a Khyam driveaway awning which we use for longer stays but it might be a little big for a quick one nighter. It served us very well last summer when it was soooo wet. We really needed the space to get all the wet weather stuff dry overnight ready to be soaked again the next day :lol: :lol:

Hi there,

which model is the khyam, i'm thinking of getting on this year as they seem so much less hassle to put up.

cheers

Steve
Wolverhampton
Rebiam
Bongolier

Post by Rebiam » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

surfbus78 wrote:
Rebiam wrote:Hi - we have a Khyam driveaway awning which we use for longer stays but it might be a little big for a quick one nighter. It served us very well last summer when it was soooo wet. We really needed the space to get all the wet weather stuff dry overnight ready to be soaked again the next day :lol: :lol:

Hi there,

which model is the khyam, i'm thinking of getting on this year as they seem so much less hassle to put up.

cheers

Steve
Hi Steve - its the Driveaway XC. Very easy to put up and it has a removable bedroom inside. We brought the footprint as part of a deal but I can't remember which site. The only drawback is that when attached to the Bongo the windows face the front so you can't access the hatch back unless you climb through the vehicle, walk around or shoot through the attaching 'tunnel' which we didn't do too often as we have only ever used it in the pi**ing rain :? Definitely water proof though!!
Roll on next summer when we can hopefully manage a dry week or two.
'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I picked up an Outdoor revolution Movelight XL for £80 as new used once bargain and 10 mins to erect

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm

MarcT77 wrote:I picked up an Outdoor revolution Movelight XL for £80 as new used once bargain and 10 mins to erect

been thinking of one of these..any negative thoughts?

Derek
MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:
MarcT77 wrote:I picked up an Outdoor revolution Movelight XL for £80 as new used once bargain and 10 mins to erect

been thinking of one of these..any negative thoughts?

Derek
None so far Derek,only had 2 single nights out in it.
It seems robust enough,but hard to tell until it gets battered around in a Lake district storm...
If you can find one cheap like I did (local camping/caravanning group) on facebook I'd say go for it.
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi, Having had a couple of stormy nights with an Outdoor Revolution , I would get some quality storm pegs. This I will be doing before next trip...apart from that...great awning! Dave
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Not the lightest bit of kit, but an awning I would certainly recommend "steadfast and true, it will come to your emotional rescue" bit of stones there, but actually in the gale force winds we have up here in the north it is the best. It offers a nice living/playing space and it has seen me though some of the toughest weathers. Attached to a Bongo of course not a vdub (raises nose)

http://campershop.co.uk/drive-away-camp ... wning.html

Jo
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

we have the Khyam..its amazing bit of kit,we went to lands end a few years ago with it and in a storm(summer) there must have been a pile of 10 tents in the middle of the field after,

Our awning was rock solid!..

more worried bout the aft!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”