roof problem (only going up slightly)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Paulinwales
Bongolier

roof problem (only going up slightly)

Post by Paulinwales » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Bongo roof has been going completely up (tent not tight) for a while but a little manual (push) assistance, it goes up that last bit, however over the last 6 months the problem has been getting steadily worse with the roof only rising about 10 cm yesterday (nice day so gave it an airing).

I did get the roof up by pushing it up with the switch pressed, however something is obviously wrong any ideas?
engine was running and handbreak was on, roof comes down perfect also the bleeping never stops even when fully up?

I don't understand where the motor is, or how it works, or where i could check the voltage levels I did some searches but nothing of use found. Can I have some advice please? - do i need a couple of motors? If so where and how much?

Rgds Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: roof problem (only going up slightly)

Post by g8dhe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:34 pm

The motors are underneath the black plastic covers at the rear (pull off), mounted on the AFT roof itself;
Mechanical construction here http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 2of02.html
Electrical here
It sounds like lubrication of the drive / motors, access is via two bolts on each motor.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Could be the motors/mechanism, or could maybe be the struts need regassing. I assume you don't have extra weight on the roof? You could give Adrian at Japan Direct a call. He's done lots of Bongo roofs (including mine) and is very helpful. Tell him Mike suggested you call. Good luck.
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:19 pm

got a roof rack + 60 w solar panel on there btw prob ways about 10 kg mor maybe 15
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 pm

thanks for your suggestions
g8dhe wrote: It sounds like lubrication of the drive / motors, access is via two bolts on each motor.
what do you lubricate them with ? grease? oil? grade/type?
how do you get a strut re-gassed?

rgds Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:58 pm

I would have thought some oil on whatever bearings you see/access and maybe some grease on the bevelled gear that drives the mechanism.
Some tips and ideas here http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 1&p=470885 and a link/PM for re-gassing the struts.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I've been talking to SGS to get my tailgate struts re-gassed and upgraded. The cost is £48.36 inc postage which seems reasonable. I'm going to have them updated to cope with the weight of the ladder on the tailgate. If your roof has been getting progressively worse, especially in the cold weather, then my money would be on the struts rather than the drive mechanism.

Return to “Techie Stuff”