Our 1866 mile trip in the Freda

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Our 1866 mile trip in the Freda

Post by Mcrdave » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Have just got back from a fantastic 6 day trip to France in our Freda. Prior to the trip we had it checked out by the bongomeister Adrian in Bury who gave it the all clear so we were good to go. We didn't have a clear idea of where to head but found the Camping Cheques so that narrowed down our route to the sites that they recommended and saved a bundle on the off-peak deals too.

We had a brilliant trip, the weather was great for most of it and just wanted to post about the pick of the bunch from the sites we stayed at which was: http://www.camping-meursault.com It's a really cool site, not conventionally laid out but just feels really cosy and welcoming. It's situated right next to a vineyard and there are great views, fresh croissants in the morning, what more can you ask for.

The low point was a trip to Lake Geneva, the place was soulless, the campsite hadn't been touched since the 70's, run by two old dears who were perfectly pleasant but obviously hadn't moved with the times. The site was within walking distance of absolutely nothing (believe me we tried) oh yeah and it rained solid for 24 hours and I got flashed by a speed camera on the way there!

All in all a really fun trip, and can't wait to do it again.

Here are a couple of pics.

Camping la Grappe d'Or - me taking it easy!

The view over the hedge first thing in the morning

Trusty Freda about to depart to the next site
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Our 1866 mile trip in the Freda

Post by HarrysDad » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Interesting post about your trip. We loved France on our trip. Posted a link below:
http://campervanlife.wordpress.com/
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Mcrdave wrote:Have just got back from a fantastic 6 day trip to France in our Freda. Prior to the trip we had it checked out by the bongomeister Adrian in Bury who gave it the all clear so we were good to go. We didn't have a clear idea of where to head but found the Camping Cheques so that narrowed down our route to the sites that they recommended and saved a bundle on the off-peak deals too.

We had a brilliant trip, the weather was great for most of it and just wanted to post about the pick of the bunch from the sites we stayed at which was: http://www.camping-meursault.com It's a really cool site, not conventionally laid out but just feels really cosy and welcoming. It's situated right next to a vineyard and there are great views, fresh croissants in the morning, what more can you ask for.

The low point was a trip to Lake Geneva, the place was soulless, the campsite hadn't been touched since the 70's, run by two old dears who were perfectly pleasant but obviously hadn't moved with the times. The site was within walking distance of absolutely nothing (believe me we tried) oh yeah and it rained solid for 24 hours and I got flashed by a speed camera on the way there!

All in all a really fun trip, and can't wait to do it again.
Now now,Adrian is good and has a good reputation on this site,but please dont upset our illustrious leader,his effervescence and THE TRUE BONGOMEISTER ....Ian
Glad that that you had a good trip and the Bongo performed well though :lol: .

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Haha, I didn't realise Ian was 'The Man' hehe, please accept my apols!
Last edited by Mcrdave on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Also HarrysDad I was just telling my girlfriend about your trip and think we'll be using it for inspiration for our next one so ta for that.
HarrysDad
Junior Bongonaut

Post by HarrysDad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Glad to hear you are already planning your next trip. We are dreaming/planning too. I will post a few more bits of info to the blog this weekend. Any questions that spring to mind, just ask. It helps in forming useful posts. Harrysdad
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 am

Looks like you had a great time. I must put some pics up of our trip although I didn't take many. We go Santander out and St Malo or Le Havre etc home which I can recommend. Northern Spain is much cheaper than France but we spent most of our time in France anyway. The continentals do know how to do campsites, but it is true, you do come across the odd one where you keep expecting to bump into Bernard Breslaw and Sid James!
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Amybongo

Post by Amybongo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

Adrian at Japan Direct in Bury also checked our Bongo out 4 weeks ago for our 2 week foray into France. Went on the Chunnel. Stayed at the Drum Inn campsite near Ashford for an early shuttle next day. Very good. Kept off the peage routes. Stayed at great campsites fom the ACSI book at 12 and 16 Euros. 2 stops on the way down at Troyes and Vichy, 6 nights in Gordes, Luberon Provence and stops on the way back at St Galmier Rhone, Sancere on the Loire, Les Andelys on the Seine, [bit of a river theme here] and finally at Guines near Calais.
Filled up at LeClerc supermarkets [diesel 1.32 Euro/litre ] just off the route, where cafe lunch and shopping were also great value.
Bongo never missed a beat over more than 3700 kms.
Took Tilly the dog and no probs there either.

Return to “Going Abroad”