I'm a bit twp. Leisure Battery.

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Grannie Annie
Bongonaut

I'm a bit twp. Leisure Battery.

Post by Grannie Annie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 pm

OK. Twp iawn. More than a bit thick.

I'm new to this. I picked up the new Bongo last Saturday and am converting these old bones from being a camper in a tent to a camper in a van. The new van isn't converted but if I'm going to be sat inside a van rather than a tent without a hook-up, should I be thinking about getting a leisure battery? I have a list of questions, therefore.

* Where would I keep one?
* What would/could it power?
* How long does the power last?
* What's the alternative?

As a tenter I've never used electrical things or needed a hook-up but I don't half get anxious when my smartphone loses its power. I can't really use my gas lamp inside a van, can I ? So if I'm going to be sat inside a van with the inner lights on and a couple of phones charging up how long is the battery under the bonnet going to last without the engine being fired up?

Do I sound a bit dim? Perhaps I need my battery charged up.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Re: I'm a bit twp. Leisure Battery.

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 am

Hi Annie,

First of all, though its nothing to do with the leisure battery, consider getting a low coolant alarm fitted particularly if its a diesel. If the coolant level goes down too much on them you could be looking at big bucks. Don't rely on the temp gauge, they are a waste of space and don't give an audible alarm. Contct Haydn Callow on this forum for details.

Now to your questions:

There is space for a second battery under the bonnet on the passenger side. Some Bongos had them fitted as standard, but if yours is one of those a mod to the wiring is required as the second battery is not wired as a liesure battery.
You will also need a means of charging it from the engine when running. The most popular way of doing this is to use whats known as a Willinton unit. It does the job as it should be done, comes with great instructions and is a doddle to fit. Do a "Willinton" search on the forum and you will find out all you need to know. The same supplier can provide a tray to take the battery if one is needed.

What do you want it to power? Most common things are 12v power sockets, interior lighting, electric blinds, water pump, TV, laptop, fridge/coolbox and possibly the stereo.

How long is a piece of string? It depends on the size of the battery and how much power you use. I've put a volt meter (dirt cheap on eBay) connected to mine and when the voltage goes down a bit below 11.8 its time to run the engine on tickover for a while.
I can just get a weekend out of mine running a thermostatic coollbox, lighting and a small TV

Two alternatives - you can rely on mains hookup (assuming it is available)
or you can hope some kind soul can jump start you in the morning because you have been forgetful and flattened
your starter battery.

DON'T use a Camping Gaz lantern or similar in your van. Even with the windows open this is dangerous. And you don't need it, you have electric lighting!

Speaking personally, I think the coolant alarm and a leisure battery are the most useful mods that can be done to a Bongo, but everybodys needs are different - because the Bongo is such a versatile bit of kit. Have fun with yours and I hope it serves you well for many years.

Peter
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Ditto what's been said above.

We've installed a LB using the Willinton kit from e-bay, which was pretty simple. We've got an 85ah/hr battery which has been ample to run a compressor fridge (Weaco CF-25), the internal lights, blinds and stereo (although not used much during camping) for up to 4 days without having to run the engine to re-charge.

A LB is well worth it if you plan to run the electrics beyond the odd overnighter. It will not however, be suitable for running any kind of heating! Def. one of the best investments we've made for the Bongo.

One other thing to note - if you run the stereo from the LB, be sure to switch it off fully when you park up. Ours will stay on, draining the battery eventually unless you press and hold the off switch.
Beyond A to B
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Ditto above, although we have a Webasto Diesel Heater and the leisure battery can just about cope with that for a couple of nights in addition to the Waeco Cooler (yes, we have one of those too).

A leisure battery was the first thing we fitted before properly camping in the Bongo (the luxury central heating came later!!).

If you are going to go to campsites with electric hookup (and want to pay the extra), you could invest in one of these http://www.towsure.com/product/Camping_ ... t_3_Outlet

There's useful information about leisure batteries, etc in the FAQ section of the forum http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =43&t=7499
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Grannie Annie
Bongonaut

Post by Grannie Annie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 am

Thank you all. That's really answered my question and got me planning what I will probably get.

I've actually got a petrol engine so I won't need a thingummyjig for diesel vans. My biggest whinge when camping is the fact that the cool box becomes a warm box before Sunday breakfast and so my priority bit of posh kit will be a fridge or a decent cool box. The van is unconverted at the moment. I would love to have a proper nosey inside some vans to see what can be done and what can be put where. We've decided to bugger off to Arran and Islay the weekend after next so will miss the meet up in Eastnor. Never mind, I'm sure there'll be plenty more opportunities.

Mucho thanko

Annie
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am

The low coolant alarm is a must on a bongo be it petrol or diesel engined, it's said the petrol is slightly more forgiving to overheating but I would not take the chance. You will have 2 cylinder heads to repair on your v6 if anything goes wrong, I am new to buying a bongo myself and everyone who gave me advice mentioned fitting a low coolant alarm.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 am

Grannie Annie wrote:Thank you all. That's really answered my question and got me planning what I will probably get.

I've actually got a petrol engine so I won't need a thingummyjig for diesel vans. My biggest whinge when camping is the fact that the cool box becomes a warm box before Sunday breakfast and so my priority bit of posh kit will be a fridge or a decent cool box. The van is unconverted at the moment. I would love to have a proper nosey inside some vans to see what can be done and what can be put where. We've decided to bugger off to Arran and Islay the weekend after next so will miss the meet up in Eastnor. Never mind, I'm sure there'll be plenty more opportunities.

Mucho thanko

Annie
I wonder if the thingummyjig in question you refer to is the thingummyjig that provides heating for the occupants. If so, I'm bound to say you'll get just as cold in a petrol Bongo, but would probably fix it using a propane heater, since you won't have the advantage of a diesel supply. :-(
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 am

BigPanzer wrote:... consider getting a low coolant alarm fitted particularly if its a diesel.
mikeonb4c wrote:I wonder if the thingummyjig in question you refer to is the thingummyjig that provides heating for the occupants. ...
I think the thingummyjig referred to was an LCA.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Driver+Passengers wrote:
BigPanzer wrote:... consider getting a low coolant alarm fitted particularly if its a diesel.
mikeonb4c wrote:I wonder if the thingummyjig in question you refer to is the thingummyjig that provides heating for the occupants. ...
I think the thingummyjig referred to was an LCA.
I do too, but think about it :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 pm

I think we're in danger of getting our thingummyjig mixed up with the thingumabob, which could all end in tears :). Low coolant alarm is a wise investment for any Bongo. A Webasto or Eberspacher heater (diesel or petrol) is brilliant if you like to wildcamp or sit by the beach in the middle of winter. However, if you're mainly planning on staying on campsites with electric hookup, then I highly recommend one of these for a cheap, lightweight and effective solution:

http://www.towsure.com/product/Electric_Quartz_Heater
Grannie Annie
Bongonaut

Post by Grannie Annie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Like I said, I'm a bit twp. I thought it meant I needed a thingummyjig if I had a diesel engine and mine is petrol. One of the reasons we bought a van is to extend the camping season, so I probably will need a wossname of some kind to keep warm in the colder months. I hadn't even thought about a thingummybob but will certainly get one as the howsyaflip I had before was aircooled with heat exchangers so I never had to even consider the stuff!!

I think it's great that everyone here speaks the same language.

Annie
stefan442
Bongolier

Post by stefan442 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

:lol: all good fun! :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I think we're in danger of getting our thingummyjig mixed up with the thingumabob, which could all end in tears :). Low coolant alarm is a wise investment for any Bongo. A Webasto or Eberspacher heater (diesel or petrol) is brilliant if you like to wildcamp or sit by the beach in the middle of winter. However, if you're mainly planning on staying on campsites with electric hookup, then I highly recommend one of these for a cheap, lightweight and effective solution:

http://www.towsure.com/product/Electric_Quartz_Heater
Well I agree with that. thingumabobs are said to be noisy, and they are hot air heaters, which I never find good for the bronchi (let alone Bongo owners). And its hard to turn them down to give just enough heat without the occupants getting too hot. Plus they are a substantial cost to buy and fit. And as many an experienced camper on here has said, a really good sleeping bag will take care of it all, except for pre-warming the cab. Still like the idea of one though, just so the Bongo is more mission capable - its a Thunderbird 2 thing. Strange innit:

* If you don't fit a thingummyjig you risk overheating
* If you fit a thingumabob, you risk overheating

8)

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”