Fumes in cab - V6 ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Fumes in cab - V6 ?

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 pm

First trip in the bongo, after about 150 miles of motorway driving pulled into a lay-by for a break with the engine ticking over I could briefly smell exhaust or burning oil fumes in the cab, its only apparent for about 10-15 seconds it then seems to clear, and does not occur when stopping and starting during town driving, can't see any oil leak it seems to only occur after a good hard run and then stopping with the engine running any advice what could be the problem ?
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Fumes in cab ?

Post by haydn callow » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 am

try tightening the "spring" clamps that hols the front seats down....could be the seal is not as good as it should be
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks haydn will try that, van is running great thought it may be something as simple,
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:36 am

Jim the Box wrote:First trip in the bongo, after about 150 miles of motorway driving pulled into a lay-by for a break with the engine ticking over I could briefly smell exhaust or burning oil fumes in the cab, its only apparent for about 10-15 seconds it then seems to clear, and does not occur when stopping and starting during town driving, can't see any oil leak it seems to only occur after a good hard run and then stopping with the engine running any advice what could be the problem ?
That Smell has probably cost you approx £37.00..savour it. :lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:53 am

Jim the Box wrote:First trip in the bongo, after about 150 miles of motorway driving pulled into a lay-by for a break with the engine ticking over I could briefly smell exhaust or burning oil fumes in the cab, its only apparent for about 10-15 seconds it then seems to clear, and does not occur when stopping and starting during town driving, can't see any oil leak it seems to only occur after a good hard run and then stopping with the engine running any advice what could be the problem ?
Out of interest, is it petrol (V6 or 2 litre) or diesel?
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Also check that the under seat seals are seated properly, they can sometimes stick to the engine cover and pull out of their locations on the trapdoor when you raise it. I check mine everytime I close it only takes a second.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Its a v6 with lpg conversion, haven't checked anything today as it was raining heavily didn't want to get my nice clean seats wet will check tomorrow thanks for the posts.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm

As its a V6 then most likely is that the Cam seals are leaking a little oil, it runs down, then back along the length of the engine (engine is inclined slightly) and then it drops of onto the hot exhaust...... hence the smell. It tends to get wafted about under the engine bay and then gets sucked into the air con. inlet etc hence the smell only appears when you stop. Most of the V6 's seem to suffer this to some degree.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 am

g8dhe wrote:As its a V6 then most likely is that the Cam seals are leaking a little oil, it runs down, then back along the length of the engine (engine is inclined slightly) and then it drops of onto the hot exhaust...... hence the smell. It tends to get wafted about under the engine bay and then gets sucked into the air con. inlet etc hence the smell only appears when you stop. Most of the V6 's seem to suffer this to some degree.
Thanks Geoff, that is exactly why I was curious, and I wonder if this is indeed Jim's problem. Are there any solutions, other than replacing the cam seals. Mind you, if (perchance) it is under warranty, is it reasonable to say the cam seals should be attended to as a fault :roll:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am

I guess it would depend on just what the warranty covers! Our smell didn't show up for about a .. year .. or so I think, it got a lot worse early this year and I was going to have all the seals done, but tried some Forte Cam sealant and the problem has reduced dramatically see this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=53925 however I suspect that at some point it will need to be done !
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Checked out today, tilted back the passenger seat one of the spring clips was unfastened hope this is the problem, continued checking at the front of the engine to see any trace of oil but everything looked ok.
On the drivers side I have the kitchen units behind the seat, is it just a case of removing the 4 holding down bolts for the seat runners and removing the front seat completely and then tilting the hatch up. Am I better looking underneath the engine for leaks as the top and front of the engine are spotless.
Hope its just a clip.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:27 pm

The oil runs down the front of the engine, you won't necessarily see it from the sides, if you get a torch and shine it down on the exhaust, follow the section that goes behind the engine over to the drivers side, you may just see some staining, or do it when it is hot and the smell is about and you may just see a wiff of smoke in the right lighting!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:08 pm

My V6 has had a slight whiff noticeable when reversing with a cold engine for the last four years. No sign of a leak and no oil usage either. The cam and crank seals have been checked and no visible oil leaking.

I do now have a slight oil leak on a rocker cover gasket on the drivers side. There is a small amount of oil usage, but the whiff is not noticeably worse, although I do now now notice it occasionally when running the engine to charge up the leisure battery.

I have always suspected the EGR system, circulating exhaust gases and venting some via the breather into the engine bay. It does seem common with V6's. On mine it is a sign to tighten the engine bay clips which do work loose.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:55 am

Jim the Box wrote:... is it just a case of removing the 4 holding down bolts for the seat runners and removing the front seat completely and then tilting the hatch up.
There's a fifth bolt behind the seat that secures the seat belt mounting track to the hatch. There will also be a connector to disconnect, but as long as the bolts come undone ok (not too tight), then you can whip the seat out in under 5 minutes. Good opportunity to check the gearbox oil, power steering fluid and air filter while you have easy access.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 am

Simon Jones wrote:
Jim the Box wrote:... is it just a case of removing the 4 holding down bolts for the seat runners and removing the front seat completely and then tilting the hatch up.
There's a fifth bolt behind the seat that secures the seat belt mounting track to the hatch. There will also be a connector to disconnect, but as long as the bolts come undone ok (not too tight), then you can whip the seat out in under 5 minutes. Good opportunity to check the gearbox oil, power steering fluid and air filter while you have easy access.
Raining again today, will check drivers side this week first chance I get, new to this so it will help me get familiar with the engine.The passenger side of the engine was spotless, fingers crossed its the same on the drivers side. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Jim

Return to “Techie Stuff”