LPG Recommended Converters

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

flossie
Tribal Elder

Re: LPG Recommended Converters

Post by flossie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:56 pm

I've been looking at Profess Autogas for a while; please keep us updated with your experience of their system. Unfortunately their website is down at the moment though :-(
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
A1tony

Post by A1tony » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:50 pm

No worries. I was a bit apprehensive at first because they're so cheap, but they were really professional, the workshops are clean and tidy and they know How to do Bongos. Apparently the Bongo V6 has a very short injector phase that makes it trick to map properly. Mine has done a couple of hundred miles so far without a problem.

They had loads of cars on site including a Subaru, BMW M5, and even a Smart all getting the treatment...
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:23 pm

How far in advance did you have to book for a Saturday appointment ?
Liz
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi again

Which insurance company are you with ? Assume they are ok with these converters - I need to line an INS co up so makes sense to try those that accept them.

Thanks
Liz
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:50 pm

We've got a V6 with a Romano system installed, we're insured with Lifesure with no extra cost for the conversion =D> :D Just got to send them a copy of the LPG certificate. :wink:

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks Izzy

Does your LPG cert show any particular accreditation or was it just issued/ created by the garage that did the work please ?

Thanks

Liz
Liz
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Should be official issue for all LPG coverters,(name of garage who did the conversion) it'll include the make of the system etc and the make & model of the vehicle plus engine size :wink:
Where you based Flossie :?:

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Berkshire based ... Plan to drive down, sleep overnight in Bongo so they have it for the 8am start .. Know the area well through my Mums side if the family :-)
Liz
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:31 am

Just had an email from Andrew at Profess ... They are not only fitters but also accredited UK LPG Code of Practice 11 Trainers too .. really given me peace of mind and as already stated above they are open about their pricing too as it's all on their website.
Liz
A1tony

Post by A1tony » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm

flossie wrote:Hi again

Which insurance company are you with ? Assume they are ok with these converters - I need to line an INS co up so makes sense to try those that accept them.

Thanks
Sorry for the delay in replying. I had mine done on a Friday and collected sat morning. That was three days notice. I am insured with adrian flux underwritten with an aviva policy. No change to premium but had to send a copy of the installation certificate.
ChrisCT

Post by ChrisCT » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Hello to all owners of Bongo with 2,5-3,0L V6 engines
My Bongo has 2,5TD motor but 2 of my friends with 3,0L did LPG conversion in Poland-Warsaw this year during summer vacation. All job done during 2 days, 24 months written guarantee, latest factory kits I think from Italy approved by most insurance companies. They paid around 700-800 pounds incl. set of all adapters to fill LPG in whole EU. So far no complains, they use about 10-15% more LPG then petrol to do same millage. In Poland every third petrol car has LPG kit fitted I presume they know what they doing and have good experience.
Keep rolling Bongos !!!
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi all,

We have just done a 8 day trip to visit family in our V6 2.5 Petrol up in Scotland.

We did approximately 1400kms over the 8 days, including 540Km each way. I used approx 180ltrs of lpg for all the travel and about £10 of petrol (start up etc).

Our tank is only taking 53ltrs at a push each time. However driving (with a heavyish foot) at 3000 rpm 70/74 mph I'm getting approx 330 kph to a lpg tank.

The lpg fit was done as part of our bongo order from JAL. It's a ROMANO system with a flash lube system costing £1700 all in.
Our insurance company were fine with the fit (LV).

We are really pleased with the savings, however next time to increase the savings I will search for cheaper options to fill up on lpg, rather than being at the mercy of the motorway services.

We plan to do a lot of long hauls in Europe and up to the Scottish West coast this summer, so I'll keep an eye on this forum and add any more findings.

Oz
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
Darryl

Post by Darryl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:08 am

I had my V6 done in July at Mint LPG (Previously Autogas Worldwide), Newport. I had their Mint XL system installed for £1395. There were a few problems that took several attempts to rectify but are there now. On the second visit they found the fault to be distributor cap, HT leads, Lambda sensor, spark plugs. In fairness to them, none of the faults were from the LPG system, it was probably caused by the van only doing 300 miles in the last 12 months and then me buying it and taking it fully loaded to the Isle of Wight. They replaced all the parts and only charged me an hours labour even though they had it a week working through the error codes.

Only slight problem is it tries to stall at lights after it first changes from Petrol to LPG, but am getting used to it and will monitor the situation.

Install took 3 days and i have an UKLPG certificate which Insurance Co. and DVLA accepted and have had it reregistered as dual fuel for lower Road Fund Licence costs.

However, i do not have the flashlube fitted - should i be concerned?

It is is nice paying £40 to fill up :D
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Flashlube not required on a V6 as it has hardened valve seats....in fact fitting it can cause problems to the Lambada sensor.

Mine also used to "hunt" a bit when on LPG whilst waiting at lights/junctions etc...however this has almost totallt gone now the system has bedded in (12 months) and it now never stalls.

I also had to replace the Dizzy cap and rota....this is because the ignition system has to work hard and be 100% when on LPG.....

Mine is a Romano system which Mint also supply.

It was fitted by Paul at LPG Imports
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Darryl

Post by Darryl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks for the reassurance regarding Flashlube. Glad it is not just me who had these teething problems, looking forward to the tick over settling down.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”