Would a Petrol fit instead of Diesel?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ziggi
Junior Bongonaut

Would a Petrol fit instead of Diesel?

Post by ziggi » Sun May 27, 2012 7:44 am

My 1996 AFT with a Diesel 2.5 WLT engine now needs some major work.
So i'm thinking a new engine, but, would a petrol engine fit rather than the WLT?

Thanks
Andy
Kerikeri NZ.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Would a Petrol fit instead of Diesel?

Post by Simon Jones » Sun May 27, 2012 8:58 am

It will fit, but need a lot of parts from donor vehicle such a petrol tank, fuel lines, electrics for fuel pump, ECU, coolant pipes, rev counter, exhaust and ignition system etc. There may be some gearbox changes with the ratio or the point where the gears change. It may be cheaper to get a second hand engine shipped over from Japan.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun May 27, 2012 9:21 am

Hi
Ziggi...
The same thought had crossed my mind, should I need a new engine, and i think you'd need to look at an engine / gearbox replacement, and re-vamp the cooling system entirely...My choice would be to look at the physical dimensions of the Rover V8, as fitted to early Land-Rover, and the Rover 2000...something without complicated ECUs, although the Bongo one is fairly rudimentary from what I'm told, then the rest is down to using a more straightforward cooling system, with piping running forward, rather than dipping under the vehicle...The rest is down to getting a custom propshaft, and juggling. There must be a stack of good breakers where you are, and knowledge to tap.
The Bongo is an excellent vehicle to play with in this respect...just time to do it!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Mon May 28, 2012 12:04 am

Rover V8 eh? jag IRS, jacked up, chrome side pipes, chrome wolfrace 5 spokes? Old school custom look =D> =D> :lol: :lol:
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 am

Hi
Nah....just a cheap engine with available spares...maybe a Holden engine...just depends how easy it is to find someone who can cope with that sort of work....but Aussies are an ingenious lot
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Tidmo
Bongolier

Post by Tidmo » Mon May 28, 2012 9:36 am

V8 Bongo, that sounds (literally) very appealing. :D Whos going to be brave? :wink:
Pourquoi Pas?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 am

Hi
V8 Rover power and torque are not dissimilar (from memory) to the Bongo figures, so not a lot of difference...but a better engine.
Cheers
Helen
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon May 28, 2012 9:56 am

If you want to swap to a different engine I've been told it's best to look for a "marinised" engine as they have all the electrics etc. packaged into one module and do not need to be patched into the vehicle electrics at all, other than to supply power and control wires. They also usually have their own fuel pump etc. so do not need fuel tanks to be changed either.

So it could be worth asking at a boatyard or marina for a suitable unit.

All you then have to do is find a way of cooling it that doesn't involve driving through deep puddles and blowing the hot water out of the exhaust.................. :lol:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon May 28, 2012 12:35 pm

have to agree with scanner, a little izzuzzzzzzu diesel would be good,very adaptable at the backend.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi
Sounds like a good plan!...plenty of good marine diesels...I like Perkins diesels!
Cheers
Helen
Tidmo
Bongolier

Post by Tidmo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:have to agree with scanner, a little izzuzzzzzzu diesel would be good,very adaptable at the backend.
Got an Isuzu Rodeo (yee-ha. Sorry) :oops: at work, 2.5 turbo diesel, goes like the clappers and pretty economical too
Pourquoi Pas?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon May 28, 2012 2:23 pm

whats the volvo ones,they seem popular.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon May 28, 2012 6:48 pm

There are a number of different Volvo 5 cylinder engines, the early ones were made by Audi. A 163 bhp D5 would be a nice unit, but they are usually mounted transverse, so quite a bit of work required.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Wed May 30, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm glad this question has been raised. The fuel economy is not good, and the engine is pretty antiquated.

I thought perhaps the VW 1.9 TDi or 2.0TDi in 130 or 170bhp guise would be a good option. Hopefully giving more like 35 - 40mpg, and a bit more ooomph. But I take the point over all the ancillary stuff needing to be sorted. The Rover V8 has been so modified, that that would be a great option, apart from the 15 - 20mpg.

The Volvo/Audi 5 cylinder diesel engine is already used in the VW Transporter vans, so a good option, though they only do 35mpg at best.

What about a gas turbine engine from a small helicopter? Probably run it on any fuel you like !

hmmmmmmmm
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed May 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Gripped wrote:What about a gas turbine engine from a small helicopter? Probably run it on any fuel you like !
Good luck with your search for a suitable gearbox............ :shock:

Return to “Techie Stuff”