Replacing awning with a Gazebo

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

peterrc
Bongolier

Replacing awning with a Gazebo

Post by peterrc » Wed May 23, 2012 7:27 am

Being of advanced years I do not enjoy doing battle with an awning. I am considering using a 'pop up' gazebo instead. Similar to this waterproof one from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation

I appreciate that it will not be 'Stormproof' but the convenience would compensate for this.
Does anyone use one or seen one used ? Would it be acceptable on campsites?
Peter
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Re: Replacing awning with a Gazebo

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed May 23, 2012 7:38 am

Provided the campsite accepts the gazebo as an awning, rather than an extra gazebo, you shouldn't have a problem. You already seem to know the downfalls of gazebos. Certainly, because of it's shape, it will be easy to marry it up to the side of the bongo. Good luck
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Nogob
Bongonaut

Post by Nogob » Wed May 23, 2012 7:57 am

Hi

I don't think you'd have a problem - we used similar things in our pre Bongo days.

I also used to have a Khyam thing which I think was called a storm shelter, the closest thing I can find is here:

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342 ... creenhouse

This was at least as easy to put up as a pop up gazebo and could also stand up to a heavy battering.

I have, on a couple of occasions woken up after a storm to see the camp site littered with the skeletal remains of gazebos.

Hope this helps

Christopher.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 am

I wonder how useful and reliable this device will be esp. at that price. But on the face of it, a handy solution. Keep us posyed, and good luck :-)
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 am

I use a £12 Argos super basic gazebo (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... GAZEBO.htm). Well, it's £17 now but I definitely paid £12 last year.

I've used it at two festivals.

It takes minutes to put up (sure, you can get the "pop up" types, but this is a cheap experiment) - so easy, a one person job.

It pushes up agianst the bongo fine, covering the side but leaving the passenger door unobstructed. It does not form a seal between the bongo and the awning. If you get heavy rain you will get water dripping between the awning and the door. Saying that, it served it's purpose beautifully. I just wanted something to sit under for shade and an area I don't have to panic-clear if it rains (BBQ, seats, table).

It's also a great tool for "marking your territory" when you arrive on site, to stop cretins pitching 1 foot from your side door. I park up, and immediately lay the square roof frame out on the floor for later completion :-)

(at one festival, a mum and her kids were camped on the other side and she opened up one of those HUGE pop up awnings - aluminium framed - and it actually touched the side of my van - I politely mentioned to her that I did not want the view out of my kitchen window to be straight into her awning - she moved it :-p )

Back on subject - so far - very pleased - one small rip in the plastic fabric, nothing important. Can't see it lasting forever - the plastic canvas is under a lot of strain stratched over the frame. Oh and the guy ropes work a treat. I endured a very blustery day and it stayed put - but then I did make sure all teh pegs were really secure, and one of the guy ropes I tied to the bongo bull bar.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Over the last couple of years, I have noticed that campsites have been pushing their prices up, either in full view of the punters, or by stealth by adding £3 for this, £3 for that and £3 for the other (and gazebos seem to fall into this category).

I think a gazebo is a great idea, but probably always best to check ahead with the campsite that they aren't going to see you as Christmas come early!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Post by PisceanJoy » Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm

I had one of those and it isnt windproof broke first year I had it
However they now do an added support for toof
I have an awning but also a cheap gazebo as losing £17 it better than losing £90
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Wed May 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Freakin brilliant idea me finx =D>
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Just be aware that some campsites dont allow Gazebos at all

This is an insurance thing,as gazebos dont peg down as well as awnings and,due to their size, can actually blow away and cause damage to cars,caravans or motorhomes.

Again,best to check in advance before you take it

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:14 pm

peterrc wrote:Being of advanced years I do not enjoy doing battle with an awning. I am considering using a 'pop up' gazebo instead. Similar to this waterproof one from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation

I appreciate that it will not be 'Stormproof' but the convenience would compensate for this.
Peter
Thank you for all your suggestions and advice. I have now had a reply from the 'Caravan Club' & the 'Camping & Caravaning Club'. These are copied below for your information. It would appear that 'The Friendly Club' is not that friendly.

Thank you for your email regarding the use of gazebo’s on Caravan Club Sites.
I can confirm that it would be quite acceptable for you to erect a gazebo on your pitch as long as this fits on your pitch and does not break the fire safety space ruling, on page 286 of the Sites Directory and Handbook, under 7a, ‘The Pitch’.
Thank you for taking the time to write in and I hope the above is of help to you.

Thank you for your email regarding pop up gazebos on Camping & Caravaning Club sites.
We can advise that the Camping and Caravanning club allows pop up tents and equipment on our UK Club sites. However we do not allow gazebos on our UK Club site Network, this is because many people use gazebos as a meeting or congregation point which in turn disturbs other campers on
site.
Camping in the Forest do allow Gazebos on their sites however there is an extra charge and during High season dates Gazebos are only allowed at manager's discretion. Further information can be found at: http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Bongoplod wrote:Just be aware that some campsites dont allow Gazebos at all

This is an insurance thing,as gazebos dont peg down as well as awnings and,due to their size, can actually blow away and cause damage to cars,caravans or motorhomes.

Again,best to check in advance before you take it

Brian
That seems to be happening with more and more sites, due to the damage they cause when blowing around the site - I've seen several airborne ones when it's windy.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Found this on Google
Kyham Motordome Classic Quick Erect Drive Away Awning
It seems to fit my requirement. Does anyone use one?
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 pm

used the slightly smaller tourer version of this for four years it stood up to snow wind and rain beautifully and attached to the bongo nicely -once you have practiced a couple of times it goes up almost as quick as claimed -though pegging takes a bit longer comes down quick too -the only issue with putting it up on your own is that in a wind at the stage between it going up and getting the first pegs in it makes a very good kite - nearly lost ours over a cliff once I dont use it any more because of that now i am on my own plus i arnt tall enough to keep the centre pulled up and lock the legs but i am five foot nothing not a problem for others Blobber puts his up on his own - frankly i dont need the space but i have hung on too it as grandsons may be accomanying me in the future - I would certainly go for the khyam over the gazebo had one of those in the garden it leaked and took off really easilly and i found it difficult to put up having seen the mangled mess of a few of those over the years i would have to be absolutely certain of the lack of wind before i would dare leave one unattended.
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:25 am

peterrc wrote:Being of advanced years I do not enjoy doing battle with an awning. I am considering using a 'pop up' gazebo instead. Similar to this waterproof one from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation

Peter
The Basic problem with the Gazebo ideal is that the Gazebo was not designed as a 'Camping Site' sun shade/awning/shelter...therefore the manufacture may not have any liability if the Gazebo was to break and cause distress, injury to a third party, the other issue here is that a camp site's own public liability insurance may not cover the erection of a Gazebo and as such you would become responsible for damage or injury...my advice is ask the manufacture of the Gazebo what is their liability is to you and more importantly the public 8)
Superpaul

Post by Superpaul » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I use a Halfords folding gazebo, about £40. It literally folds out / colapses down in a couple of minutes, with no seperating parts to lose. It pegs down at the base and has guyropes on the four corners, although I wouldn't use it in windy conditions - common sense prevails here!At the end of the day if the wind does get up, it can be taken down in no time.
It's ideal alongside the side door, and as a "drive away" and I've never had any issues using it at campsites.
Cleary its not as weatherproof as a dedicated awning, but for sitting out in the fresh air, for safe outdoor cooking, or for the kids to play out when it's raining, it's ideal!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”