Wiring Rearview Camera

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

psquiddy
Bongolier

Wiring Rearview Camera

Post by psquiddy » Wed May 16, 2012 10:21 am

I have just removed the Japanese Satnav/cd/dvd/tv etc unit (Naviken 1607/Matsushita SK61K) to replace it with a UK unit.

I have ordered an ISO adapter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180734955079? ... 1497.l2649

but that does not cover the reversing camera part of the wiring.

As the existing cd unit, harness and reversing camera appear to be factory fitted it should be possible to find a wiring diagram to help out - but I can't find one.

Does that mean that I dont have a standard wiring harness? (On a 2002 2.0L Bongo)

Any suggestions regarding identifying the wires for the reversing camera, handbrake switch and reverse switch gratefully recieved.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Wiring Rearview Camera

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 16, 2012 11:18 am

I doubt very much that the unit is factory fitted, as they never fitted reversing cameras!
The BWM's do cover the Audio and Navigation system wiring see;
Audio page;

Navigation system;

Normally if you follow the wiring back you will come to the standard Mazda plug into which the adaptor fits.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Wed May 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks - I had found them but they dont tie up with my wiring and dont trace back to another connector - they go into the wiring loom along with the aerial lead

Once I have plugged in the ISO adapter, I am left with 2 block connectors and 2 single wires (The single wires dont go into the loom).

First block connector is 2 rows of 8 wires:
LightGreen/Pink/RedWhite/BlueRed/YellowBlack/Green/WhiteBlack/Blue
WhiteBlue/Yellow/Red/YellowRed/Brown/WhiteGreen/White/Pink

Second connector is 1 row of 5:
White(Cut)/RedBlue/GreenRed/GreenBlack/RedYellow

Single wire 1 is LightGreen

Single wire 2 is black
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Just noticed your a 2002 vehicle, so they might have changed the wiring but I'm sure they never fitted reversing cameras!
You should find that the video feed from the camera is on a co-axial cable - a single cable with the the inner carrying the signal and a woven screen around the outside, inside another layer of insulation if not then expect interference ! The most likely connector will be a standard Phono plug normally coloured yellow but not a given!
The reverse gear signal is on diagram link 33 or ISO3 connector which is 3C on the Mazda connector.
The handbrake signal is on diagram link 77, there is no standard ISO connector for this signal see common pins, Mazda connector 3I.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Wed May 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I was also expecting a co-ax cable for the camera, but there is definitely not one there - the camera must go through one of the connector blocks described above.
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Thu May 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Aha - there is a coax cable - its the single black one, but it fooled me by having a square end on it. :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Yup that's part of the problem with these installations your never quite sure what the connectors will look like! Hopefully finding the power to the camera won't be as difficult!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:16 pm

I bought a wireless camera off ebay for about £25. Saves on the hassle running a cable from the back to the front.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri May 18, 2012 3:39 pm

I had one of them. The wireless link was 100%, right up to the moment when you were really relying on it, like when you were going backwards!

I binned it and wired in a 'normal' one. Much betterer.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
PinkPanther
Bongonaut

Post by PinkPanther » Sat May 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi All any additional help on the above topic would be much appreciated. I have just ordered a Pioneer satnav/dab unit and so will need to figure out the wiring connections as I am in the same position but possibly have a slightly different wiring configuration that I need to figure out. I was struggling to upload pics and so included them at the bottom on a link to my google drive where I shared the pictures

The unit I ordered is double din and so I already ordered a converter that I need for the main wiring harness adapter (PC2-10-4). The camera connection consists of an RCA type connector (female in the unit) and a separate connector on a wire that runs into the main power supply which is identified as the "Reverse Gear Signal Input"

The Bongo reversing camera wiring is a mystery........I have the exact same body coloured number plate reversing camera as pictured on this forum post (http://www.bongoforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/for ... 459102866/). The difference is my camera connection into the existing satnav seems to be in two separate connecting heads:
1) A green coloured single wire connecter - thicker black wire........which I believe from the post thread is probably the video in
2) A white connector with 1 row of 5 wires connected to 5 pins in the head, the colours look the same as in the pictures but for reference are:
WhiteBlack/RedBlue/GreenRed/GreenBlack/RedYellow
The White/Black is an earth and just runs to a convenient place on the inner bulkhead. The others go straight into the main wiring loom behind the console.

So I need to try and identify:
1) What each of these remaining 4 wires is for
2) What I need to connect them to in the new adapters..........in particular which one is the reverse gear signal input wire, possibly handbrake signal etc?

Any help would be much appreciated as I do want to use the existing camera and wiring and not go for something else aftermarket. The pictures are on this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2_77 ... 3JmNnJDSVE

Thanks
PinkPanther
Bongonaut

Post by PinkPanther » Sat May 07, 2016 1:43 pm

So just managed to figure out with my multi-meter, earthed to the chassis - if you look at the image of the white connector with 1 row of five wires (image 20160507_100607.jpg)
1) The middle wire RedGreen is a permanent live 12V supply and remains at 12V when I engage reverse. Also it is not the main power supply to the unit as the unit is on when the connector is pulled out - although the camera does not of course then function ;-)
2) The RedYellow wire is the "Reverse Gear Input" as this goes to 12V when I engage reverse

I am not the most confident when it comes to electrics, but as the remaining two, the RedBlue and GreenBlack wires have no voltage across them at any time are they just the -ve terminals for the RedGreen and RedYellow wires?

Still not sure where I will connect these in the new unit - I think this may be a job for someone who knows what they are doing....... :-)

Any suggestions local to Coventry......?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 07, 2016 2:00 pm

There really isn't much to go on there, the other wires could be earth's also could be power to LED's at night or something else entirely!
The single gray "square" plug initially made me think of a TOSLink optical connector but its not quite right for that so it could be some weird co-ax connector they have used.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
PinkPanther
Bongonaut

Post by PinkPanther » Sat May 07, 2016 5:20 pm

So I did a couple of other quick checks. I also realised that the RedGreen is switched live (by the ignition) and not permanent as I stated earlier - sorry.

If I disconnect this white 5 lead connector from the unit then everything else on the unit works, just not the rear view camera. The display dims when I turn on lights, the front panel elevates and the CD and MD unit both function.........all of the Nav functions in Japanese along with the clock , telling me Japanese time work :-) !

With the lights turned on there is no voltage on either of these remaining wires when I earth the -ve lead of my voltmeter, or if I connect across the RedGreen switched live and either of the leads.

If I connect my voltmeter across two earths (dumb sounding I know) the display registers -ve zero. If I connect across the White/Black earth and the vehicle chassis I also get a -ve zero, so it is a good earth. If I then repeat this with either of these two leads there is no change to the Voltage display - just a standard zero reading.........so I concluded these are not earths, but perform some other unidentified purpose.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Is there are make / model for the actual camera at all ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

It sounds like its the factory fitted reversing camera that is typically seen round about 2002 vintage.

Return to “Techie Stuff”