Breakdown Insurance

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

cavey
Bongolier

Re: Breakdown Insurance

Post by cavey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Another option @£38 a year:

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks Cavey but that is UK only unfortunately. Their Euro cover starts from £100 for 3 days only (seem a bit steep?)

cheers for the post though, might be useful for some folks on here.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I've got Camping and Caravan European Breakdown. Cost me £65.00. As it happens we've had to use it as our bongo broke down in France. So far I've been so pleased with how good they've been. They sorted out taking the van to a garage, booked us into a motel for the night, taxi'd us all the way to Lyon from the Ardeche for my partner to get his flight home. Hired a car for myself and my girls to get to the middle of France. Booked flights for me and my girls home from Limoges to Stanstead and now in the process of repatriating the van to the UK.

All in all they've been fabulous. They keep in regular contact with us via text and phone calls nearly every day. I've been amazed at the service we've had from the assistance people.

Edit: We are insured with camping and caravaning too so not sure if you can get the cover separately, but worth a go if you've got a conversion and classified as a motorhome
I love cheese!
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm

That sounds great Cat thanks very much! I'll give them a ring tomorrow, it says camper on the V5 so fingers crossed. I'll post back on here tomorrow with any news.
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Don't s'pose you have a link to a site for them do you!?

ta
Dave
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm

I am also insured with them as we found them to be the cheapest for our insurance as we live in London and don't have off street parking.
I'm so pleased I took out the breakdown in addition to our insurance as they must have paid a fortune out on everything they've done for us so far. Now just waiting for the date for the repatriation :)

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/contactus/

You have to be a member, but membership is not a lot. I think hembramacho also is insured with them and he may know costs of membership as I can't remember it anymore.
Last edited by umbongocat on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cheese!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks for that chaps, much appreciated.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Not sure though if it may only be a cover for 28 days.. let us know how you get on. All I can vouch for is that they've been great with us. Thankfully, we had done a big leg of our European trip so we got to see Austria, Slovenia and Italy. Got to Croatia as well, but didn't realise until we had left that we were not actually covered there ... lucky we broke down in France and not there :P
I love cheese!
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:19 pm

An update based on my call to 2gether yesterday.
They no longer will cover vehicles over 10 years old on European trips.
Which I guess rules us all out now :(
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:09 pm

So, who should I do my next years breakdown insurance with. Currently with RAC which cost £114 last year but wanted £157 this year until I challenged it then they put me across to customer wotsit who revised it to £127. These figures are re for roadside repair/recovery and onward travel. So I went online. Green Flag seem to offer £104 including 15% online discount and this includes homestart (I say seem as their website doesn't recognise my Bongo or any Bongo). Then I try 2gether (who I'm insured with) as a google search included them in a list of good people to try for older cars. Provided I only want UK cover, their quote was £51 !!!! Their package includes roadside, onward travel, and homestart. So what is going on in this market, and are the old brand names like RAC and AA really worth all that extra premium!?!?! I'd love to hear other people's stories, including experiences when they broke down.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:23 am

Bump - anyone care to give their thoughts on the above. I'd be really grateful and it might be of general interest :-)
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:35 am

Im not a fan of the AA as it says its a relay, when my bongo broke down in Scotland it took them nearly 3 days to get my bongo back, it was driven from Scotland to Cumbria, then loaded onto another truck 28 hours later to take it to wheelquick in Wigan.
I am now with Swinton breakdown £8.30 a month and it covers me not the vehicle, so i could be in any car and they get me to where i ask.
I have used them twice and always within the hour they turn up.
Lost without my Bongo.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:03 am

daveblueozzie wrote:I have used them twice and always within the hour they turn up.
You ought to get yourself a proper vehicle if your current one keeps breaking down Dave. :lol:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Ian wrote:
daveblueozzie wrote:I have used them twice and always within the hour they turn up.
You ought to get yourself a proper vehicle if your current one keeps breaking down Dave. :lol:
Ignore him Dave - he's got Post Bash Euphoria. It'll soon pass :lol:

And excellent feedback - sounds like it might be worth having a punt on a cheaper option.

Return to “Insurance”