Reversing Sensors

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Wight.j

Reversing Sensors

Post by Wight.j » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:52 pm

My camper is fitted with Parkmate PDC200 rear sensors. One has stopped working and I cannot find a supplier of replacements, I suspect they are out of production. Does anyone know of a kit that suits the Bongo I can replace these with? I also have a towbar
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Re: Reversing Sensors

Post by maxheadroom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Wight.j welcome and this link may help :D

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/adhesiv ... udio_2.asp
Keep the Faith

Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 pm

or try these, no drilling involved

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm

i have a mazda kit fitted but i did have a cheap ebay set on another car and they were just as good, something like this just pick the closest colour

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing-Par ... 4ce9ce95d6
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Wight.j

Post by Wight.j » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks, I will have a look at these and see which might be best, either is a lot cheaper than I had found elsewhere!
jimpearceuk
Bongolier

Post by jimpearceuk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:58 pm

I fitted these last week to my bongo, even came with the hole saw!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Revers ... 963wt_1037

Start to finish took about 3 hours, and I took it slow, very simple and worthwhile job.

I took pics along the way so happy to write it up, just PM me

Jim
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:02 pm

I installed a similar one to jimpearceuk, but with an LED display which blends in nicely on the dash (I prefer a visual warning to an audible one, though it can do both). A cinch to install. Mine is the wireless version, which has given 2 years faultless service, but they do a wired version as well if you prefer (in theory wired should be more reliable, but I couldn't be faffed with more cabling running up the length of the vehicle, and the wireless works perfectly for me). The control box was mounted behind the offside rear side panel, and I can access it for maintenance by simply unscrewing a single screw and removing the door pocket if I need to (never had to). I think this may be the vendor I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Park ... 5635c9d071
Two tonne tin drum
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 am

If you buy a set with just the buzzer you can connect everything at the rear, no need to run any cables to the front. All you need to do is find the positive on the reverse light and join into that and attach an earth. Everthing else just plugs into the control box, all tucked neatly in behind the NSR quarter panel trim.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 am

stuc wrote:If you buy a set with just the buzzer you can connect everything at the rear, no need to run any cables to the front. All you need to do is find the positive on the reverse light and join into that and attach an earth. Everthing else just plugs into the control box, all tucked neatly in behind the NSR quarter panel trim.
What I like about the display, is that you can see it reading down as you get closer 0.9, 0.8, 0.7 etc, rather than just the 3 different coarse gradings of audible warning. This is a good check that the sensors are working properly, and that there's not something odd shaped behind affecting the reading. Sometimes I see a fluctuating reading when there is something curved etc behind - I wouldn't have got this with the audible warning. Using the LED display I can reliably and confidently get to within a few inches of the vehicle behind. That's the beauty of the wireless kit, you get both the audible and visual, without the wiring (well, apart from power for the display). I was initially in two minds about getting a wireless kit after reading negative comments about the principle, but took a punt 'cos it was so cheap. Glad I did now (I suppose there are good and bad kits on the market, though). I'm just plucking up the courage to drill holes in the bumper of our new car for the same kit now.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 pm

stuc wrote:If you buy a set with just the buzzer you can connect everything at the rear, no need to run any cables to the front. All you need to do is find the positive on the reverse light and join into that and attach an earth. Everthing else just plugs into the control box, all tucked neatly in behind the NSR quarter panel trim.
Thats what I did - nice and simple and no wireless involved. Only problem was I pinched one of the sensor cables and when putting the bumper back on, but have managed to get a replacement sensor and cable off ebay (from China) for around £7 (yet to be fitted, but the connector into the box looks standard).

Only problem I am having is the other sensor likes to chirp a bit even when it isn't near anything, and I don't know why. But its annoying.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:48 pm

One thing to remember is that they are what they say they are"reversing aids"do not rely on any systems 100% or you will be forking out for bumper repairs, as i have seen on many a customers car. There is no substitute for a good pair of eyes.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:58 am

Hi,

I fitted a set today, display mounted above the mirror using a U-shaped bracket and a bit of plastic to hold it to the mirror stem.

I too found that one sensor would activate for no reason occasionally. In my case I was able to move the wiring for the offending sensor a few inches further away from the harness for the tail light assembly and the problem was solved! Good idea to check for correct function of the sensor system with indicators, brake lights and tail lights on as well. These might also induce interference into the sensor wiring which the "brain" mis-interprets as an echo signal.

Very pleased with it, wouldn't like to trust it completely especially in rain, snow or high winds but definitely a useful mod. It took a lot of courage to drill the four holes in the bumper though!

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:46 am

BigPanzer wrote:Hi,

I fitted a set today, display mounted above the mirror using a U-shaped bracket and a bit of plastic to hold it to the mirror stem.

I too found that one sensor would activate for no reason occasionally. In my case I was able to move the wiring for the offending sensor a few inches further away from the harness for the tail light assembly and the problem was solved! Good idea to check for correct function of the sensor system with indicators, brake lights and tail lights on as well. These might also induce interference into the sensor wiring which the "brain" mis-interprets as an echo signal.

Very pleased with it, wouldn't like to trust it completely especially in rain, snow or high winds but definitely a useful mod. It took a lot of courage to drill the four holes in the bumper though!

Peter
Excellent tips there. I'll check them out and thanks++

Return to “Techie Stuff”