Radiator.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

eckerB

Radiator.

Post by eckerB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello bongoliers,I have found a small leak on the radiator on our bongo and was thinking of changing the said radiator for a new one myself.My questions are,how easy is it to drain down and take the rad off and replace it?where would I get a decent rad from?Has anyone got any pics of taking one off etc?I have looked at the videos on utube on bleeding the system after and it looks a bit daunting as it seems that three people are needed to do the bleeding.I am willing to try and change the rad etc and I just wondered if there was anything else that might help.Thanks in advance,Eric. [-o<
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Radiator.

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 pm

You don't necessarily need 3 people to bleed it, we just used 3 on the video to show what was going on more easily, as you can see, for most of the time 2 peeps aren't doing a lot :wink: , I can quite easily bleed one on my own, but I'd recommend 2 peeps at least for the first time.
Rad is pretty easy to change, there's even a factsheet in the members area, along with other bleed methods & other stuff on antifreeze & the cooling system.
Make sure the new rad doesn't have a vent pipe under the rad cap, it doesn't need one on the bongo, any venting takes place at the header.
Good opportunity to change the stat (preferrably for a genuine mazda one) flush & change the coolant, normal stuff should be done every 2 years anyway, make sure not to mix different types of coolant.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Two people can easily bleed a Bongo.

From personal experience go to Allans in Plymouth, Allan bleeds Bongo, I watch proceedings.

Job done.
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks for your replies,much appreciated.I had the coolant and thermostat changed last year,would the stat still be ok to re-use?I am phoning the garage that did the job to find out which anti-freeze they put in,It isn`t the red one.I have just been looking on ebay for a new rad and there seems to be a fair selection to look at.Not sure who to buy from,one supplier has a 2 year warranty so may go with them.I will look at the members section first.Thanks again,Eric.
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Errrr!sorry Kirsty,I can`t find any fact-sheets for taking off the rad when I clicked on the "Members"
tab,could you direct me to it please?Thanks.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 pm

It's in the members area of main website at http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... factsheets
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 am

Hi,

Its not the best vid but it might help you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRx1FxiFH-I

And re assy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG6z0l-KBWY
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks again guys for all your help.Eric.
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Hello again,I have just watched the video`s about the removal/refitting of the radiator.I was wondering how much ATF from the gearbox will be lost out of the old rad.Also when the oil pipes are fitted to the new rad will the oil flow as normal or do they need bleeding somehow?I assume that when the job is done that the lost ATF is replaced via the gearbox.Thanks Eric.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:05 pm

eckerB wrote:Hello again,I have just watched the video`s about the removal/refitting of the radiator.I was wondering how much ATF from the gearbox will be lost out of the old rad.Also when the oil pipes are fitted to the new rad will the oil flow as normal or do they need bleeding somehow?I assume that when the job is done that the lost ATF is replaced via the gearbox.Thanks Eric.

Hi,your best bet is to catch the oil coming out of the pipes and the cooler,that will let you know the amount.No need to bleed the ATF.

Best to check the level with the dip stick when you are done.(park and engine running)

Cheers
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Very little should be lost tbh, the oil just runs between the walls of a small twin walled tube inside the bottom of the rad, it doesn't hold very much at all, try & block the oil hoses as soon as you disconnect them to minmise any loss. If it's never been done, may be worth thinking about changing the ATF oil/cleaning the filter anyway (once the cooling system's sorted :wink: ) - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=30096
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks Rita and Kirsty,the oil in the g-box is about 2yrs old now,had it changed at Allan`s near Plymouth.Not cleaned the sump etc since I have owned my bongo,gearbox is very responsive and positive in all the gears. Should I get the oil changed and the sump/filter etc cleaned after 2yrs anyway?
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:58 am

I have tried to take the"PLUG" out of the bleed pipe and it will not budge!It`s like the plug has been super-glued in and the only way to go is to cut the pipe below the plug and peel the bit of pipe off.
Hope that it goes back in place!Anyone else had this problem? :x
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 pm

It is usually pretty tough to get out, I usually use a mole grip or similar to grip the hose & wiggle the bung with some pliers, not had to resort to cutting yet on any bongo I've bled.
eckerB

Post by eckerB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 pm

I will try that method,only tried by holding the pipe and bung by hand,cheers Kirsty.

Return to “Techie Stuff”