Paint code for the Silver on lower half

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jezza
Bongonaut

Paint code for the Silver on lower half

Post by Jezza » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi We've got a '96 Bongo in Paint code 14D (Greece Green) as per the avatar pic - but what is the colour match for the silver lower half, and more importantly, now partially colour coded bumper :? - If there is a standard out of the aerosol colour I can use from Halfords that'd be extremely useful

thanks
Jezza
Jezza
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Paint code for the Silver on lower half

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 pm

The metal plate inside the door shut (passenger side ?) has the paint code for both the top & bottom. Can't recall name off the top of my head, but Ian used to sell aerosols in the club shop.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Greece green is usually over Highlight Silver.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't think that the lower half will be Highlight Silver. The paint code for my two tone silver Bongo is 19N which equates to 18G + 4Z or Highlight Silver over Silent Silver.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Jezza
Bongonaut

Post by Jezza » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 am

I think the codes that are colour 'x' over colour 'y' means it's one of those pearlescent paints that require a metallic base coat under the main colour. On the Paint factsheet 14D is quoted as Greece Green - not over anything - so it's not one of these pearlescent colours which has a silver base colour, so I assume that means it's a "solid" colour (can be painted in 1 shot!)

What I actually want is the code for the silver that the lower part of the van, and bumpers, are painted !

I had a look at the tag on the passenger side where I found the 14D in the body colour box - but where does it tell you the secondary colour (i.e. the silver?)
Jezza
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm

The only other code with Greece Green included is 19R, which is Greece Green over Highlight Silver (code 18G). If it's not that, then I guess the van must have had a respray.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Jezza wrote:I think the codes that are colour 'x' over colour 'y' means it's one of those pearlescent paints that require a metallic base coat under the main colour. On the Paint factsheet 14D is quoted as Greece Green - not over anything - so it's not one of these pearlescent colours which has a silver base colour, so I assume that means it's a "solid" colour (can be painted in 1 shot!)
Nope it means one colour on the top half & another on the bottom half, the clue is in the facvt it says "two tone" at the top of the table of colours, eg mine is

14E - 5S + 4Z - Neat Green over Silent Silver, which means it is green on the top half & silver on the bottom half, both of which can be "painted in 1 shot"
What I actually want is the code for the silver that the lower part of the van, and bumpers, are painted !

I had a look at the tag on the passenger side where I found the 14D in the body colour box - but where does it tell you the secondary colour (i.e. the silver?)
If yours is a standard colour it'll either be silent silver or highlight silver. Not sure re the paintcode on yours, it's usually in the one paint code as per the factsheet.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Is it actually paint on the bottom half? Mine appears neat green over silver, but the silver is not paint, it is a protective pvc coating like a thick decal.

I have only one paint code, the neat green, as this is the paint under the silver. This is a japanese original finish and does look very like a paint job as it is colour matched to the bumpers.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 pm

francophile1947 wrote:Greece green is usually over Highlight Silver.

As you say...19R=14D+18G

14D=Greece Green

18G=Highlight Silver

Cheers.

Basil..
kloonsy
Bongolier

Post by kloonsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:49 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
Jezza wrote:I think the codes that are colour 'x' over colour 'y' means it's one of those pearlescent paints that require a metallic base coat under the main colour. On the Paint factsheet 14D is quoted as Greece Green - not over anything - so it's not one of these pearlescent colours which has a silver base colour, so I assume that means it's a "solid" colour (can be painted in 1 shot!)
Nope it means one colour on the top half & another on the bottom half, the clue is in the facvt it says "two tone" at the top of the table of colours, eg mine is

14E - 5S + 4Z - Neat Green over Silent Silver, which means it is green on the top half & silver on the bottom half, both of which can be "painted in 1 shot"
Not quite Kirsty, both are basecoats that require a clearcoat on top. Some modern mica/pearl/xyrillic require a coloured groundcoat first :wink:
The Bongo Bodyshop - For all your Bongo Bodywork needs.
07584 134811
Advice is free.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah, but not a green coat over a silver coat to give the required finish as the OP was saying :wink: , the colour itself is one colour on top a normal primer isn't it?
kloonsy
Bongolier

Post by kloonsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Yeah, but not a green coat over a silver coat to give the required finish as the OP was saying :wink: , the colour itself is one colour on top a normal primer isn't it?
#-o #-o #-o :oops:
07584 134811
Advice is free.
Jezza
Bongonaut

Post by Jezza » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Ok - this is getting confusing!

The fact sheet regarding paint colours states 14D is Greece Green - there is no reference to it being over anything - so I'm taking it that Greece Green is a "solid" colour - not requiring a metallic base coat (Highlight Silver or Silent Silver)

I'm pretty sure it's the original paint job (allowing for touch-ups here and there) as I have seen a couple of ther Bongo's in the same 2 colours.

I've sent off to Ian for a bottle of 4Z (Silent Silver) to see if it's a match

Surely I can't be the first to have scraped the bumper of their Bongo and tried to patch it up ..... can I ??? :oops:
Jezza
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Jezza wrote:Ok - this is getting confusing!

The fact sheet regarding paint colours states 14D is Greece Green - there is no reference to it being over anything - so I'm taking it that Greece Green is a "solid" colour - not requiring a metallic base coat (Highlight Silver or Silent Silver)
#-o There is no metallic base coat, as I said above Silent Silver & Highlight Silver are the paint codes for the lower half of the body (ie "neat green over silent silver" is neat green on the top half - silent siver on the bottom half - not a base coat, they are both metallic type paints in their own right), NOT for a metallic base coat, the base coat is just a bog standard grey primer for both, you are confusing yourself :wink:
kloonsy
Bongolier

Post by kloonsy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
Jezza wrote:Ok - this is getting confusing!

#-o There is no metallic base coat, as I said above Silent Silver & Highlight Silver are the paint codes for the lower half of the body (ie "neat green over silent silver" is neat green on the top half - silent siver on the bottom half - not a base coat, they are both metallic type paints in their own right), NOT for a metallic base coat, the base coat is just a bog standard grey primer for both, you are confusing yourself :wink:
You are right kirsty but they ARE basecoats, meaning they require a clearcoat on top. You can't get a shiny metallic finish straight out of the tin #-o
07584 134811
Advice is free.

Return to “Techie Stuff”