Thermostat - slow to open

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kincaid
Bongolier

Thermostat - slow to open

Post by Kincaid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi all

I'm in the process of doing a full coolant flush, I've just taken the old thermostat out (a Mazda original) and tested it in a pan alongside the new mazda replacement. The new one was wide open well before the boil, the old one started to open after the water reached boiling point and eventually opened fully but after sitting at boiling point for some time. (they've both got 82C stamped on them).

I've no idea when the old 'stat was fitted to the van (I got it in Feb this year).

Just had to tell someone - my wife and kids just won't recognise the significance of this :lol:
Bongo Gymreig
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Thermostat - slow to open

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:14 pm

The original stat could have been in there from manufacture, so depending on the age of your bongo anything up to 16 years ago.
We all get a little slow as we get older. :oops: #-o
Lost without my Bongo.
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 pm

:P - agreed. I've noticed the van starting to run a bit hotter recently (90-95c) rather than the usual 85-90c so really hoping that after I finish flushing it, new coolant stat etc. expecting it to run a lot cooler.

ps. getting plenty of dark matter from the radiator also :roll:
Bongo Gymreig
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Take your time with the bleeding of your bongo, its takes time to do it properly, whichever way you bleed it.
Read, and study the bleeding process if you've not done it before,(fact sheets)
There is more than one way to bleed a bongo.
Are you using CarPlan red coolant ?
Lost without my Bongo.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 pm

...and watch you don't burn your hands!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Carplan Red
:arrow: No, I would if I could get it. I hear they sell it in Cosco but we don't have one near here. I've been using COMMA red and it's been driving me round the twist as it continues to coat the screws for the low coolant alarm. I've decided to go for straight blue ethylene glycol this time hence the full flush.
Bongo Gymreig
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:55 am

Kincaid wrote:Hi all

I'm in the process of doing a full coolant flush, I've just taken the old thermostat out (a Mazda original) and tested it in a pan alongside the new mazda replacement. The new one was wide open well before the boil, the old one started to open after the water reached boiling point and eventually opened fully but after sitting at boiling point for some time. (they've both got 82C stamped on them).

I've no idea when the old 'stat was fitted to the van (I got it in Feb this year).

Just had to tell someone - my wife and kids just won't recognise the significance of this :lol:
Any chance of a pic of your old stat?
Steve
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Kincaid wrote:
Carplan Red
:arrow: No, I would if I could get it. I hear they sell it in Cosco but we don't have one near here. I've been using COMMA red and it's been driving me round the twist as it continues to coat the screws for the low coolant alarm. I've decided to go for straight blue ethylene glycol this time hence the full flush.
There's a Costco just outside Ellesmere Port, just at the start of the M56. Not too far?? :wink:

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:11 pm

hembramacho wrote:
Kincaid wrote:
Carplan Red
There's a Costco just outside Ellesmere Port, just at the start of the M56. Not too far?? :wink:

Cheers

Andrew
Hi,you often get Car Plan at Poundland for guess what?? £1.00 a Litre.

Cheers.
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks for the responses all. I did a bit more reading on here and decided I'd better stick red (OAT) coolant back in. Went for the COMMA red G30, I expect the container has been designed by Gucci as it's expensive stuff :shock:

Steve - I'll get a photo of the stat up here later on...
Bongo Gymreig

Return to “Techie Stuff”